A course should willfully give away revenue as a reward for something that golfers should do anyways? I'm not sure I love that idea.
Because having an incentive program never made anyone any money.

Because having an incentive program never made anyone any money.
Imagine the **** storm thrown the first time a group of fast players are stuck behind slow players and throw a fit because they would have gotten their free hot dog but the slow group put them off of pace.

That's not fair to the course. The only real thing a course can do is have Rangers and marshals sheep dog slow golfers, assuming the course has Rangers and marshals

Imagine the **** storm thrown the first time a group of fast players are stuck behind slow players and throw a fit because they would have gotten their free hot dog but the slow group put them off of pace.

That's not fair to the course. The only real thing a course can do is have Rangers and marshals sheep dog slow golfers, assuming the course has Rangers and marshals
Like I already said, players are tracked individually not totally. Your pace is your pace.

Giving discounts and so on are not a strain on revenue but rather a marketing promotion that spurs on additional purchases and increase perceived value.

The tour doesn't need shot clicks imo. These guys are creatures of habit and will be hard pressed to change. Everyday golfers need to stop trying to mimic the play of pros. Non of us are playing in tour events so their play doesn't affect us. We watch them on TV and shoukd enjoy that. If people would just stop trying to play like their on tour, pace of play for the weekend golfers might get better

One of the courses I play has signs every 3 holes that say "you should be here within 1hr 15min" and so on. It also tees off of your handicap. There is a sign on the first hole that list handicap ranges to what tee you should play. Seems to work out pretty well. pace of play is usually under 4 hours.

One of the courses I play has signs every 3 holes that say "you should be here within 1hr 15min" and so on. It also tees off of your handicap. There is a sign on the first hole that list handicap ranges to what tee you should play. Seems to work out pretty well. pace of play is usually under 4 hours.

What course is this? In KC?

I oppose a tour shot clock, because there are just situations where the terrain, conditions, whatever, may require more thought. A delicate flop shot, a downhill bunker shot, perhaps a very awkward lie or hitting a ball out of water.

I do think its crazy the time they take on 120 yard shot from the fairway into a green. There are people with that problem. But a shot clock is not the answer. Besides, when is the shot clock going to start? I presume it would have to be after the landing area is cleared of spectators and players.

I'm not sure putting groups 'on the clock' is enough, but a shot clock is too much.

~Rock

I think the Rules of Golf should allow you to taser anyone who takes more then 1 practice swing.

I agree that a lot of amateur golfers are picking up the pros habits from a pace of play perspective. I played with a guy a few weeks ago that had the slowest most deliberate pre-shot routine I have ever seen, I felt like I was playing with Furyck. I am a fast player and its the first time I have ever had a marshal pushing my group to catch up. I think the guy backed off his putts at least once on every hole, and stood dead still for what felt like 20 seconds before he took the club back on every shot. It was so bad I was walking to the next tee and teeing off before he even got off the green but the worst thing is he didn't think he was slow. What they say is true a slow player can play with anyone but a fast player can't play with a slow player, my game suffered for it for sure. Don't get me wrong he was a nice guy, but even with all his routines he was not a good player at all. Hacked it all over the place. I will admit where not playing for a million dollars but something needs to be done about slow play. I just keep thinking "while were young" Why did they stop those commercials anyway?

It may just be me, but it seems that the pros on tour are taking longer and longer for their shots. Going through their yardage books, discussing at length what club and where to hit the ball, tossing grass in the air, watching the trees for wind, heck the next thing I think we will see is a full bore weather station pulled out of their bag.
I believe this kind of behavior really bleeds over to the everyday golfer that watches them on TV and contributes to the slow play that no one likes. Just this weekend, I watched a guy pull out his course map, then use his laser range finder, then the grass toss, then back to the range finder, then chose the club. After he addressed the ball, he then had a change of heart on his club selection and went to grab a different one, but not before using the range finder again !

I think it's time for a shot clock on tour. What say you ?

Long past due, but it is just a joke on tour. They will never take it serious. It is entertainment No.1, made for TV and there are $millions at stake. I don't see them every getting serious about it. Slow play is the cancer of golf.

Back