TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

I like the looks of the head, the dual colors works for me. I also like the simplicity of the adjustability "if" it works like it looks it should. Left/right and up/down....that's easy.

Great post jb! Agree with all the points.

The more I look...the more I actually like. The crown actually intrigues me and interested to see how the movement of adjustment performs.

Any word on available lofts? I wonder how high they'll go?

I kind of like the fact that TaylorMade is sticking with their technology and building on it this time around. It's very common for an OEM to tout something as a new innovation, only to abandon it the next year, usually because it was just crap spewed by their marketing department. This is very un-TMag of them.

The more people spew vitriol towards it, the more I really want to hit it. Maybe its just my cynical side, but I struggled with the SLDR as to be expected based on its characteristics but I really enjoyed the Aeroburner.

I looked at the pictures last night and decided to let them ruminate in my head a bit before posting a thought. I think the crown looks decent, definitely techy, but not something I would object to. I think the front to back weight is a good idea in addition to the toe-to-heel weight. I do think that duel weights in the toe-to-heel would have given the user to go max MOI by separating them with the other weight away from the face, but not being a club designer, I'm not sure if a three weight configuration still equaling the 25 gram total would have been as effective. With 15 grams in the front to back weight, they are obviously trying to allow the movement of the COG as much as possible laterally. I know other brands have a similar issue, but I look at the two weights each having 8-10 marked positions, and the shaft adapter having 12 positions, and even having 3 shafts to choose from, that is 2304 combinations even if a fitter is used.

I like the crown, I like the fact the face sits open, and the SLDR works for me. I'll skip the R15 and probably at some point in time try the M1. I'll let a lot of other people do the testing and reviews and reserve judgment until I see some numbers and some first hand results. I do really like the crown though.

Really interested to here how much the spin can be changed from the front placement to the back placement

Way too much going on here. Between the colors and weights my head is going to explode .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The more people spew vitriol towards it, the more I really want to hit it. Maybe its just my cynical side, but I struggled with the SLDR as to be expected based on its characteristics but I really enjoyed the Aeroburner.

Two different clubs ... the R15 is for the better player and pro. The Aeroburner is for those who lack consistency. TM missed the market by making it a glued head.

Agree with JB above. I've read many articles over the past year about TM's excess inventory. How can one see the M1 in a sea of old drivers. It is a reminder of the past -- get rid of the past.

Anyway, all lineups need a Corvette and a Chevy.

The problem with TM, and they do not seem to learn, is they keep on marketing the Corvette to the masses. NO!

Give the masses a wonderful alternative.

TM can learn from Callaway. The wonderful alternative to their Corvette, the 816 Alpha, is a hot performing Chevy, The GBB, that can perform for pros and amateurs. And more importantly, Callaway market both in an ethical, professional manner.

TM still comes off as snake oil salesmen.

They needed to intro 2 Drivers to the market ... not "1".

Yes, I'm certain the M1 works great for its market. But I doubt if the real M1 market is the entire market.

Two different clubs ... the R15 is for the better player and pro. The Aeroburner is for those who lack consistency. TM missed the market for making it a glued head.

Agree with JB above. I've read many articles over the past year about TM's excess inventory. How can one see the M1 in a sea of old drivers.

Anyway, all lineups need a Corvette and a Chevy.

The problem with TM, and they do not seem to learn, is they keep on marketing the Corvette to the masses. NO!

Give the masses a wonderful alternative.

TM can learn from Callaway. The wonderful alternative to their Corvette, the 816 Alpha, is a hot performing Chevy, The GBB, that can perform the pros and amateurs. And more importantly, Callaway market both in an ethical, professional manner.

TM still comes off as snake oil salesmen.

Yes, I'm certain the M1 works great for its market. But I doubt if the real M1 market is the entire market.

Go back through this thread and read my posts.

Slide that weight all the way to the back and I think you'll be impressed. My gripe about SLDR is the way forward CG.

You have to hand it to Taylormade, at least they stick to their guns with their tech.

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

TaylorMade M1 Driver Preview

I do like the simplicity of how they're selling their 3 shafts (low, mid, high).

It could do really well for them. Probably depends on what kind of commercials they put out. I really hope it isn't like "you've never seen this" or something like that because it's an R1 with another slider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Go back through this thread and read my posts.

I went through several of them after your response.

And I've continually stated, I'm certain the M1 works great for the market for which it is designed. The R15, the SLDR worked great for the market for which it was designed.

But heck, even TM had my clubmaker urging me to buy their clubs after a slew of R11 fairways, RBZ Stage 2 Fairways and hybrids did not work for me and he had built those clubs for me. I had to partially "Trump" him. They had brainwashed my guy.

Nice driver, I liked the R1 and my son knocks the crap out of it. I even hit it well but not far enough. I think the tech on top is old, but I would game the M1 it if it fit me and was sufficiently forgiving. If they've solved my error -- toe hits, I am in!

I think TM is innovative but their stuff in the past has only worked for a limited market while they marketed it to everyone.

The populace is gullible.

I went through several of them after your response.

And I've continually stated, I'm certain the M1 works great for the market for which it is designed. The R15, the SLDR worked great for the market for which it was designed.

But heck, even TM had my clubmaker urging me to buy their clubs after a slew of R11 fairways, RBZ Stage 2 Fairways and hybrids did not work for me and he had built those clubs for me. I had to partially "Trump" him. They had brainwashed my guy.

Nice driver, I liked the R1 and my son knocks the crap out of it. I even hit it well but not far enough. I think the tech on top is old, but I would game it if it fit me. I think TM is innovative but their stuff in the past has only worked for a limited market while they marketed it to everyone.

The populace is gullible.

If you read any of my posts, which is pretty apparent to me you havent, then you would see I have said exactly what you are saying now in 2 different posts.

If you read any of my posts, which is pretty apparent to me you havent, then you would see I have said exactly what you are saying now in 2 different posts.

I was looking for a difference in your opinion.

Not sure what you are saying, but I can't post my thoughts in my words?

Well, thanks for your posts!

Relatively new here, but in my 14 years in other forums, I have seen guys express similar thoughts in their own words ....

Back to the M1 and on topic. Hope it works for TM. Love the competition between OEMs.

I was looking for a difference in your opinion.

Not sure what you are saying, but I can't post my thoughts in my words?

Well, thanks for your posts!

Relatively new here, but in my 14 years in other forums, I have seen guys express similar thoughts in their own words ....

Back to the M1 and on topic. Hope it works for TM. Love the competition between OEMs.

You quoted my posts and made assertions that I said one thing without actually reading my posts. I posted the EXACT same thing you have posted now 3 times. And I dont care how many years you have been on other forums because it is irrelevant to me. You can post whatever you would like. I havent said a word about your opinion. You feel it's necessary to keep quoting my posts and trying to convince me of your point of view that I already agreed with multiple times last night. Take a step back and deep breath. Everything will be fine.

I'm in the minority as I loved my SLDR and like to see them expanding on that technology. I agree with many posts though on marketing and inventory control and JB's point about looking at the new M1 next to the older cheaper models is a good one.

I thought the new sliding weight helps get the CG back a little bit and would assist with launch and forgiveness. Yet it doesn't seem to be touted as a forgiving driver, whether it is or not I have no idea.

I thought the R15 was more forgiving than the SLDR and maybe that trend continues with this club.

TM is having the 2nd day of the M1 launch today, with media members actually hitting the clubs outside. I've also read that there are a bunch of no upcharge options on the driver shafts, so maybe we should wait to see what those are and then compare their options to Callaway's options with the GBB.

TM is having the 2nd day of the M1 launch today, with media members actually hitting the clubs outside. I've also read that there are a bunch of no upcharge options on the driver shafts, so maybe we should wait to see what those are and then compare their options to Callaway's options with the GBB.

I saw a few people say close to 20 but havent seen a number or a list. Been trying to find it.

Back