What are you reading?

4865a7f7493a1611bf06ff633688c8f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The Downhill Lie" by Carl Hiaason.

I'm not sure how much of the book is factual or if he did a lot of the things in the book only because he was writing the book but it's a great quick read about struggling with golf. I wish I had read this 4 years ago when I stopped playing golf.

Just started Dennis Lehane's "Mystic River".

Just finished A Difficult Par, which is a bio on Robert Trent Jones. It was a very good book detailing RTJ's brilliant marketing of course design and it does go into detail on how he designed and built a number of courses. It also objectively details the ensuing family infighting that developed between RTJ and his sons, RTJ2 and Rees, as well as the sibling rivalry between the brothers that exists to this day.

The way in which RTJ was able to convince courses they needed remodeling to accommodate the modern golfer, then later finding a niche in remodeling courses so they would get a US Open is pretty interesting and was the start of the longer and harder mantra of course design. Although many consider the 70's through 90's a dark period of course design, RTJ was a pioneer in the modern golf architecture industry and still built some world class courses during this time.

RTJ had a specific design style and although he began delegating most of his design duties to two of his workers after his sons started their own practices, that style can be seen in each of them. While design credits are hazy on some courses, i.e. Princeville in Hawaii; RTJ2 designed the course but while he was with his father's company, so RTJ's name appears in several sources as the actual designer, the book was extremely helpful sorting out who did what.

RTJ designed a few courses I was unaware of that have received world wide acclaim, like Congressional, Valderama and Spyglass.

He certainly led an interesting life, ranging from almost getting killed in an attempted coup of the king of Morocco to having the RTJ trail in Alabama fall in his lap, to a number of legal battles relating to the design, development and marketing of his courses.

For anyone interested in course design, course development and the RTJ family saga, this book is a must read.

Elantris by Brandon Sanderson. IMO he's a better author then GRRM and his GOT books.
Elantris is his first book, and I can see how he's improved as a writer overall through his progression of books.

I'm reading Harry Potter prisoner of azkaban. I know I'm 20 years late to the party and probably too old but after going to universal in January and visiting Harry Potter world I figured I should read the books.

I'm reading Harry Potter prisoner of azkaban. I know I'm 20 years late to the party and probably too old but after going to universal in January and visiting Harry Potter world I figured I should read the books.

Haha, my wife decided the same thing after going, but decided to watch the movie instead, we started the POA earlier this week.

What are you reading?

Haha, my wife decided the same thing after going, but decided to watch the movie instead, we started the POA earlier this week.

My wife has read them multiple times and is one who hates the movies because they can't live up to the books. I recorded them all awhile back and will watch them when I'm done reading. Really funny watching a 28 year old act like a 5 yr old at Disney when she went to universal. I have to admit diagon alley was crazy. I'd go back

My wife has read them multiple times and is one who hates the movies because they can't live up to the books. I recorded them all awhile back and will watch them when I'm done reading. Really funny watching a 28 year old act like a 5 yr old at Disney when she went to universal. I have to admit diagon alley was crazy. I'd go back

I started the books when they were the new, and didn't get into them. My wife doesn't have time to read them all so movies it is.

I agree, diagon alley was very cool

I went when I was 37 and I geeked out almost as much as my kids did :)

I'm a huge fan of the books over the movies as well. Before I read them I was one of the "they're just silly kids books" people, but boy did they suck me in quick.

I still wouldn't take them over Stephen King's Dark Tower series, though.

Up next for me is HST's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

I've read all of the HP books minus the finale, I believe. I think the movies do the best job I've ever seen of staying true to the books. They are very, very well done.

Now starting The Horse that God Built; the Untold Story of Secretariat.

Reading Resilience by Eric Greitens. We are reading it as a team at work, would be a great book to buy someone who is going through any kind of struggle.

I finished The Martian last week in 2 sittings. Fantastic book. Movie comes out in a few weeks.

I'm re-reading Winners Dream. It really gets me motivated for work. Anyone in sales that hasn't read it, I highly recommend. And it you're not, I still think it's a great story and motivational book worthwhile reading.

CA Real Estate Principles by Walt Huber. Not the worst textbook to read through. I'm going to be excited once I get through this licensing process.

CA Real Estate Principles by Walt Huber. Not the worst textbook to read through. I'm going to be excited once I get through this licensing process.

My condolences. CA has some of the weirder practices in the nation from what I've been told.

My condolences. CA has some of the weirder practices in the nation from what I've been told.

I'm realizing that more and more. California is like that with most everything. We love regulations here. I hate them, but everyone else seems to think they are great.

Halfway through "The Last Four Days of Paddy Buckley", debut novel from Jeremy Massey about an undertaker and some shenanigans he gets into. It's not the best debut, and I already know what's going to happen, but I keep reading because I want to know HOW it happens.

Lee Child's latest Reacher; Make me.

The Grand Slam: Bobby Jones, America and The Story of Golf. Very good book by Mark Frost on Jones that I'm enjoying immensely. I had no idea what a temper he had, or how young he was when he was contending at the national level. It was time for me to learn more about him and Frost has captured a lot of the great storytelling I saw in the Greatest Game Ever Played.

Just finished Judd Apatow's "Sick In The Head". It was ok. Now reading Stephen King's "Revival" and I'm really liking it.

Every Shot Must Have A Purpose by Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott, foreward written by Annika Sorenstam. Great Book on getting your head right to play golf well. Geared toward competitive players but a weekend warrior can learn from it as well.

Back