Convince me why I shouldn’t swing hard at wedges

I def don't go full wedge but doesn't mean it cant be done. For me I feel I have better control 1/2 3/4 wedges rather than trying to stretch one. But I play with some that do and are successful with full also. The end result is what you want and whatever you feel gets you there consistently.

I think some of us are on a different page as far as full, 1/2, and 3/4 swings.
When I say 75% swing, it's still a full turn swing.
75% is my feeling of power and acceleration on the downswing.
My driver swing is 100% power and full turn.
On all 3/4, I have 75% acceleration on downswing.
On 1/2 wedge swings, I take the club back so that the head is pointing straight up.
1/4 swings, the club is parallel to the ground.
I'm sure others are diferent, but there seems to be different interpretations on here.

That's a good point, Jackal. I guess I should amend my comment to reflect "full power" instead of full swing. I still take full swings, just at reduced power. Now with wedges, I take everything from a full swing to a knee-high-to-knee-high chip, depending on what's required for the shot.

I don't think I ever hit a "full" wedge. 1 ... it increases spin 2 ... you can't control how far it's going to back up if you impart that much spin. You can however control it much better if you 3/4 the shot, by taking off some spin, it will then "hop & stop" much easier than "expecting" it to back up.
I play a lot of partial swing shots. Take 1 more club, choke down a bit & swing easy. It will bore through the wind & it's a hell of a lot easier to control the distance.

My father always said "it's not how, it's how many." If you hit a 7-iron & I hit a 5-iron ... big deal. That's why I never ask anyone what iron they hit ... just give me the distance. (a bit off topic but still) LOL

I feel like I can make more consistent and better contact when I do the smaller swings, but I imagine others might do better with full swings. Whatever gets the job done.

Honestly I never swing 100% with a 58. Not because it spins too much which it really doesn't, once you go past 45 spin loft you don't get the huge increase of spin for increase swing speed just no need to swing 100, 85% 54 stops just as well.

My primary mistake on partials used to be decelerating into the ball followed by lazy mechanics as a close second. It was entirely a mindset issue. As soon as the issue was identified and a solution was found, I practiced partials for when my approaches came up short. Now, I like to hit both full and partials as long as it’s more than 60 yards out. Inside of that I’m still pretty bad.

I can take full and partial swings with my 50 and 56. If I take a full swing with my 60 very bad things happen unless it's a flop or bunker shot.

Back