GCQuad Data: Take a Look

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Went to the range this morning with my friend Jim. Jim is an avid golfer and plays a couple of times a week. He is also a big equipment guy. Changes clubs every few months and he wanted to test out some drivers. As you might have seen from the picture on Instagram this morning, we brought out 7 drivers along with the Foresight GCQuad for some fun and let Jim swing away. We had one request, that is change drivers every couple of swings.

While we have tons of data from this morning, I wanted to post a couple of screen shots from the GCQuad and let you take a look and interpret, as well as ask questions. Here is a bit about Jim

He is 54 years old, in great shape and plays to an 8 handicap.
Swing speed is right around 98-102 and makes really good contact in his long game.
Average distance from his own personal driver was measured this morning at a carry distance of 221.6 through 8 drives.
He has an over the top swing which makes him a bit steep, thus bringing in more spin normally. His current driver averages about 3650 in backspin.

Here are a couple of shots and I was curious what THPers thoughts were on these drives.

IMG_0021-XL.png

IMG_0024-XL.png

IMG_0025-XL.png

Obviously you can see his natural tendencies did not go away as he is still coming over the top, but the equipment plays a role here too. All of the drivers he hit this morning were setup the same way as his current one, which was 10.5 degrees with similar shaft length.

I mean, he can play that move all day on the first one. He’d probably be a lot happier if he could cut that fade in half though.

Second one is just a pull. It’s misleading since it’s gonna give more distance and higher ball speed :/

Unless he want to put in a lot of work to fix the OTT swing the results aren't bad imo. He's consistent, has decent length, and plays to an 8 which is pretty solid.

I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be, but what if he went down a degree of loft? What would the loss of spin vs. loss of launch do in this situation? Just curious really.

Both massively better than his gamer. Would want to know if he hit the first one low on the face or not. If those are different drivers 2 is better by far if he hit the middle of the face on the first.

Jim is getting some pretty efficient ball speed

• Admin
Unless he want to put in a lot of work to fix the OTT swing the results aren't bad imo. He's consistent, has decent length, and plays to an 8 which is pretty solid.

I'm not sure how much of a benefit it would be, but what if he went down a degree of loft? What would the loss of spin vs. loss of launch do in this situation? Just curious really.

Most likely be geography dependent. He is already a low to mid launcher with higher peak height, which means spin. So going down in loft could negate both or could move down launch and still keep spin higher, which would be a distance loss. In my opinion anyway.

If he knocked off 500 rpm and lost 1.5* launch angle he would only gain 2 or 3 yards.

Carry though not total

Am I reading this right that he gained 19 yards of carry with the Swing 3 club? If so my interpretation of this data is that he should immediately take his credit card to the pro shop and buy that driver.

• Admin
Am I reading this right that he gained 19 yards of carry with the Swing 3 club? If so my interpretation of this data is that he should immediately take his credit card to the pro shop and buy that driver.

That is one swing vs an average.
He did pick up almost 11 yards in average with one club however.

If he knocked off 500 rpm and lost 1.5* launch angle he would only gain 2 or 3 yards.

Carry though not total

Right, probably not much difference in Florida, but Texas...:D

I think, as MWard pointed out, shot 3 appears to be a pull. Misleading

Its not misleading. If someone swings over the top, they are going to pull balls.
It also does not mean more ball speed. It can mean more ball speed, because its more efficient contact than their fade.
Being offline by 9 yards to the left is not all that much...

I would love to have that Launch angle, but could play that fade all day from shot 1. Looks like he would benefit from a new shaft to lower some spin

They were both pulls, one more though. That swing pattern is going to be a pull fade no matter what. Lower spin accounts for more of the distance gain imo

Its not misleading. If someone swings over the top, they are going to pull balls.
It also does not mean more ball speed. It can mean more ball speed, because its more efficient contact than their fade.

Personal experience: I always see a few yards more from a pull. But, to your point, 9 yards off line is not bad at all, and I would be quite happy if that were my average shot

Ok, shot 1 is 14 yards of carry better with virtually the same spin as his gamer. Still a huge improvement.

i would love to see impact tape for both of those strikes.

initially, i'm enamored with the launch and carry of #1. i have no issues that spin rate based on that swing speed range, but if he could knock a few rpm's off and still launch it at 14* i think he could pick up a few yards. the only thing that bothers me is the descent angle seems pretty steep.

i feel like the strike on #2 is just better. less ball speed lower launch but more carry and less spin. i wonder if #2 is a lower spinning head that will reduce the curve in his cut, and if he could get the launch up a little it could be a long combo for him. i just hate to lose that ball speed.

His gamer #s were characterized by an 8 shot average. I'd need to see a similar sample size to even begin to make any guesses on session 2 or 3. I mean if Jim was as inconsistent as me shot to shot (and I fully realize he probably isn't) both pictured drives could've been hit with his gamer and be amongst the longer shots included in his average.

Driver 2 looks solid. Very consistent. More carry and not landing as steep gives potential for some longer total distance. While you can see the ball coming back in to the right it looks like playing on the right side of the fairway won’t be an issue.

i would love to see impact tape for both of those strikes.

initially, i'm enamored with the launch and carry of #1. i have no issues that spin rate based on that swing speed range, but if he could knock a few rpm's off and still launch it at 14* i think he could pick up a few yards. the only thing that bothers me is the descent angle seems pretty steep.

i feel like the strike on #2 is just better. less ball speed lower launch but more carry and less spin. i wonder if #2 is a lower spinning head that will reduce the curve in his cut, and if he could get the launch up a little it could be a long combo for him. i just hate to lose that ball speed.
Both were hit pretty darn close to dead center (why I chose them). Obviously path was different (and will be for most golfers swing to swing).

The reason people see more ballspeed and yardage from a pull is because their making contact with the face more square to path than when they cut across the ball to hit a fade, correct?

I would imagine Jim doesn't set up too far off the middle of the fairway, so most, if not all of those shots would be FIR's also.

@JB which club was he gaming vs which did he end up getting the additional 11 yards?

@JB which club was he gaming vs which did he end up getting the additional 11 yards?

Im actually keeping the clubs out of the discussion for right now, but its an interesting aspect I will add to the discussion soon.

I am an OTT player and wish I could have these numbers. Both sessions look really good to me. During my last fitting I averaged a spin rate of 2763 but the carry was about 200 yards. It will be interesting to see the drivers and results from this session.

Back