Swing Weight Explained

What I'd really like to see is an expert opinion on the proper way of adding lead tape and/or grip weight to a club and how that influences the overall swing weight.

What I'd really like to see is an expert opinion on the proper way of adding lead tape and/or grip weight to a club and how that influences the overall swing weight.
I agree those would be very interesting subjects and would like to see them as well. Many of my clubs feature their fair share of lead tape.

Bigger the number and letter, the more head heavy the feel.

Ok, I was confused still on what the actual letter/number combos meant. After a Google search, I think I get it now.

Is the swing weight scale like a balance beam scale, in that you have a large sliding weight (the letters) to get somewhat close to the swing weight and then a smaller sliding weight (the numbers) to "fine tune" it to the actual weight?

Like this?

scale.jpg

Im not sure there is a proper way, because with each addition, you will influence the center of gravity to a club. Obviously application will be low, but more forward or further back would alter MOI, as well as ball flight and spin.

Glad everybody enjoyed this one as part of our Classroom Series.

Good stuff. Would also be curious on where fitters club builders who do this for a job put lead tape normally and how it effects moi/ ball flight. Personally I use it low and perimeter weighted on irons low and centered on wedges. Total trial and error random guessing.

Finally got to watch this, great video. Very interesting.

Very informative video. Question... with most manufacturers coming out with ascending mass shaft options how does this factor in to understanding and applying swingweight to clubs? Does traditional swing weighting go out the window when utilizing ascending mass shafts or trying to accomplish MOI matching throughout a set? Can both of those things exist together or is it that you have to choose 1) having a consistent swingweight throughout the set or 2) increasing the mass as the irons gets shorter? Hope I worded this right

If by ascending mass shafts you mean getting heavier as club gets shorter you can still easily have the same swingweight. Swingweight can be the same but the actual weight not the same. MOI matching is a totally different way and they won't end up the same swingweight. I don't know if a company could design a club to be moi matched with the same swingweight. All the moi matched I have seen usually ended up with a lighter swingweight in the longer clubs but around half a point change in each. I could be wrong though not 100% on the moi matching stuff.

Fantastic video. I could listen to Danny explain this stuff all day. He makes it easy to understand. I’d never seen a swing weight measurer before either, cool but simple piece of equipment.

Per the PM request, here is the video you are looking for.

I could listen to Danny all day long. Not only does he explain he explains it so you can understand it.

Back