Swing Weight Explained

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the most asked questions in regards to golf clubs is what is swing weight, what does it do, how is it measured and should I even worry about? THP went right to the experts at UST Mamiya to talk about club building and specifically Swing Weight and what you should worry about and how to get it all dialed in.

Danny Le walks you through every step of the measuring process and explains the most important aspects of making sure your clubs are right for you.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/swing-weight-explained/

Thanks JB and Danny for the video, very informative and easy to understand. I always wondered what my "best" SW was and Danny's suggestion on picking best hit club is great idea.

Great job! Josh and Danny make very informative videos. Danny has forgot more than I know about clubmaking!!

Excellent video. Very informative without being information overload.

Excellent video with Danny, as always, dropping knowledge bombs in an easy to understand fashion. I know feel a little better about being a stickler for having my swing weights consistent.

Gotta love listening to Danny talk about gear!

From the mind of the Master! Well done as usual Danny. Thanks :clap:

I think my ignorance and neglect of swing weight might be the reason my endless tinkering over the last year or so has produced such disastrous results.

Hands down the most important variable I learned about in my most recent club fitting. Coupled together with the variability seen in shaft frequency and flex, swing weight can drastically hinder your performance.

Great video, but as someone that is completely ignorant about such things, what do the different swing weights mean?

D4, C4, D0, etc. mean nothing to me.

Great video. I love how Danny explains everything so well. I will be checking my swing weights very soon

Great video!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Danny is providing input on a subject, then I'm watching it. He does a fantastic job of making any golf subject understandable.

Thank you Josh and Danny for making this video.

Great video, but as someone that is completely ignorant about such things, what do the different swing weights mean?

D4, C4, D0, etc. mean nothing to me.

Each one is a measurement based on what danny was speaking of. Meaning the feel of the weight being in the head or the butt of the club.

Another easy well explained video. Swingweight is never really something I cared about until THP. I had my irons reshafted by a professional, I'm assuming he made them all the same but without a scale I have no way of knowing without taking them in to be checked. Honestly have paid more attention to it in my driver moreso than my irons.

Each one is a measurement based on what danny was speaking of. Meaning the feel of the weight being in the head or the butt of the club.
So sort of like the putter? I've been told that it's better to feel the weight of the putter head with a small grip rather than screw it up with a SuperStroke 3.0 grip. Causes the weight to be felt more in the grip and while it causes the hands to stay out of the putting stroke, not much "feel." I guess.

So watching this Danny is basically saying when you get your custom fitting you have to figure out if you want the weight of the club more in the club head rather than the entire club? Sounds self explanatory but as a novice with this side of golf, this is something that will be trial and error in a fitting?

Love me some Danny Le.

Swingweight is one many misunderstand, this is good stuff.

So sort of like the putter? I've been told that it's better to feel the weight of the putter head with a small grip rather than screw it up with a SuperStroke 3.0 grip. Causes the weight to be felt more in the grip and while it causes the hands to stay out of the putting stroke, not much "feel." I guess.

So watching this Danny is basically saying when you get your custom fitting you have to figure out if you want the weight of the club more in the club head rather than the entire club? Sounds self explanatory but as a novice with this side of golf, this is something that will be trial and error in a fitting?

In some ways and in other ways it is quite apparent based on control. With that said some people are not quite as susceptible to weight change as others.

I understood that, but didn't know what the specific numbers meant. For example, D4. Is that weighted towards the club head or the grip and how much?

I understood that, but didn't know what the specific numbers meant. For example, D4. Is that weighted towards the club head or the grip and how much?

Bigger the number and letter, the more head heavy the feel.

I enjoyed that because he kept it so simple to understand. Where does the swing weight scale begin and end. I heard C and D mentioned with numbers but is there an A which I guess would be really light.
My major take away was to keep the set consistent.

I enjoyed that because he kept it so simple to understand. Where does the swing weight scale begin and end. I heard C and D mentioned with numbers but is there an A which I guess would be really light.
My major take away was to keep the set consistent.

My scale goes from A to G

Think of it this way:

Would you rather swing clubs that are all similar in weight (driver through wedges), or would you rather have a wide range of weights throughout the bag?

As Danny says in the video, if you have a "favorite club" why wouldn't you want to replicate the feel of that club throughout your set?

Think of it this way:

Would you rather swing clubs that are all similar in weight (driver through wedges), or would you rather have a wide range of weights throughout the bag?

As Danny says in the video, if you have a "favorite club" why wouldn't you want to replicate the feel of that club throughout your set?

Which is interesting because new sets, off the shelf, all have ascending Swingweights from long irons into wedges. So there is a couple schools of thought with this, I personally have my entire set D5 (driver through wedges) because its my sweetspot, but, as JB has mentioned some are not as perceptible to SW changes or variances, additionally the idea of going lighter in the long irons can have some potential benefits to those looking for more speed to elevate those clubs.

Back