What's the best device for measuring distance to the flag from any position please?

Jafalad

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi there!

I'd like to invest in a range finding device that will tell me the distance to the hole from any position on the course. I'm not interested in those devices that just tell me the distance to the front/centre/back of the green.

Want something accurate and reliable.

Many thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Any particular reason why a laser rangefinder works best?

Thanks for that. Any particular reason why a laser rangefinder works best?

There are no other options that give distance to flag except the laser. GPS will only give F/M/B but I think eventually that changes with technology enhancements....but not very near future.

There are no other options that give distance to flag except the laser. GPS will only give F/M/B but I think eventually that changes with technology enhancements....but not very near future.

Even at its best GPS is only accurate to within 3 meters/12 feet. Rangefinders will pretty much always be more accurate.

Even at its best GPS is only accurate to within 3 meters/12 feet. Rangefinders will pretty much always be more accurate.

Current state, yes. But to think that technology won’t evolve....well I think it will eventually hence why I said future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current state, yes. But to think that technology won’t evolve....well I think it will eventually hence why I said future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair point.

A rangefinder sounds like what you want, but it won't check off the "from any position on the course" portion - you need to be in line-of-sight. That said, it's the only way to get the exact distance to the pin, since any device won't know where the hole is that day.

I have used both a rangefinder and gps. A rangefinder will give you distance to the flag from anywhere. For me I look at a gps as more of yardage book. With a rangefinder you could laser hazards on the course. Bushnell range finder is great. I have had mine for over 5 years and it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone. Laser rangefinder seems the way to go. Played with a guy who had a Bushnell r-finder and was very impressed.

Both

As mentioned laser is the most accurate if you can see the flag. I use mine 99% of the time. Only pull my gps out if I need to calc a layup yardage.

I played on a hilly course once where 7 uphill approach shots i couldn’t see the flag so the gps came in handy that day.

I believe that the GPS I have (Garmin G6) adjusts the FCB depending on the angle you are coming into the green. Also if you know where the pin is you can drag it to get more accurate readings.

Definitely a range-finder as of today (technology will eventually evolve I am sure) - a GPS is best used as a yardage book as it will show front, back and middle of the green...

I carry a laser and use it to lock onto the exact pin location - also, I am one to "shoot" a tree beyond the green or a slope/bunker in the front to see how much room I have....

That's very useful to know. Thank you so much!

Both

As mentioned laser is the most accurate if you can see the flag. I use mine 99% of the time. Only pull my gps out if I need to calc a layup yardage.

I played on a hilly course once where 7 uphill approach shots i couldn’t see the flag so the gps came in handy that day.

I believe that the GPS I have (Garmin G6) adjusts the FCB depending on the angle you are coming into the green. Also if you know where the pin is you can drag it to get more accurate readings.

Thank you so much - that is very useful information!

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am now set on a laser rangefinder and plan to use it to calculate the distances I hit each club with.

Definitely a laser rangefinder. As discussed in another thread lately, don't be afraid to pay for a good one as it will last for a long time. Bushnell is the direction I would suggest.

I use GPS simply because my shooting isn't accurate enough to be concerned about getting a more exact measurement. I suspect the same to be true for the majority of golfers

Thank you so much - that is very useful information!

Glad you found it helpful.
I spent a little extra on one with slope where it adds or subtracts yardage depending if the green is above or below your shot elevation. Nice feature to have but I wouldn't shell out a ton of money extra for one with slope. You normally can tell when you need to club up or down just by the elevation rise or drop of the green from where you are hitting the ball.
Most of the time the slope adjustment is only a yard or 2.

Glad you found it helpful.
I spent a little extra on one with slope where it adds or subtracts yardage depending if the green is above or below your shot elevation. Nice feature to have but I wouldn't shell out a ton of money extra for one with slope. You normally can tell when you need to club up or down just by the elevation rise or drop of the green from where you are hitting the ball.
Most of the time the slope adjustment is only a yard or 2.

That's really useful to know! I actually tried one with the slope feature today - Bushnell. Thanks again!

I currently use both a laser rangefinder and a GPS app on my phone. I only use the app when I can’t see the flag. Like when I’m in the trees “quite often if you play like me” or the hole has a big hill or dip in the fairway etc. but I mostly rely on my rangefinder.

Back