Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

I'm actually kind of wishing I'd gone 4 Fli-Hi too. Which is crazy for me to say. They honestly take "utility" type irons and turn the concept on its ear, launch for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.

It's why I kind of want them in my 5-6. I only have them in the 3 & 4. But if the 4 works and can make a believer out of me, I'll certainly take the next steps. FLI HI 4 iron vs Hot Metal 4 iron.

It's why I kind of want them in my 5-6. I only have them in the 3 & 4. But if the 4 works and can make a believer out of me, I'll certainly take the next steps. FLI HI 4 iron vs Hot Metal 4 iron.

Fli-Hi will win. Handily.

Fli-Hi will win. Handily.

I'm curious, because those Hot Metals launch and give some really good BS. Shall be a fun go.

I'm really interested in hearing the comparison between the two. I'm guessing the Fli Hi is a smaller overall profile? I really liked the Hot Metals in the JPX line - the rest of it left me sort of wanting.

I'm really interested in hearing the comparison between the two. I'm guessing the Fli Hi is a smaller overall profile? I really liked the Hot Metals in the JPX line - the rest of it left me sort of wanting.

more tour like look at profile, bit of a longer blade though compare to the other irons.

more tour like look at profile, bit of a longer blade though compare to the other irons.

I like the sound of that.

I'm curious, because those Hot Metals launch and give some really good BS. Shall be a fun go.

I know you love some good BS.

These two have changed my game on my home course. Three of our par 5's regularly play 180 to 210 and have always been a N accuracy issue for me, but these are just so freaking fun.

High. Long. Soft.

If there was a 7, I'd add it too.

8fb57898547effcfb9d4451c779f1d28.jpg

Great pics.... They look amazing.

Hey Dean, should I carry my SC/MB feedback in here as well or use the other thread?

I'm about to go play in 36* and break my hands hahaha

Hey Dean, should I carry my SC/MB feedback in here as well or use the other thread?

I'm about to go play in 36* and break my hands hahaha

go for it.

Great pic. Drooling. Wish they came in left handed!!!

Haha just read the whole thing. FliHi 4,5,6; SC 7,8,9 and MB for the PW. Jeez oh Perez these irons are sezzy.

Would probably go with KBS Tour V 110 or C-Taper.

JM

The Fli-Hi are silly.

I know I'm a broken record, but I don't care. I'm getting a peak height with these I've not gotten from a 6i in a long while and a 5i probably ever. Add to it visually they literally blend seamlessly into the SC and MB I have and it makes James a happy boy.

The 6i is every bit the 190-195 club for me and the 5i sits right on top of that at 205-210.

Seriously contemplating a 4 Fli-Hi, but a know a hybo is probably still for the best in that spot.

The Fli-Hi are silly.

I know I'm a broken record, but I don't care. I'm getting a peak height with these I've not gotten from a 6i in a long while and a 5i probably ever. Add to it visually they literally blend seamlessly into the SC and MB I have and it makes James a happy boy.

The 6i is every bit the 190-195 club for me and the 5i sits right on top of that at 205-210.

Seriously contemplating a 4 Fli-Hi, but a know a hybo is probably still for the best in that spot.

As someone who's been letting their inner Internet golfer come out as of late and thinking "I want some players CB", the Fli Hi intrigue the heck out of me in the long irons paired with something more traditional in the short irons.

As someone who's been letting their inner Internet golfer come out as of late and thinking "I want some players CB", the Fli Hi intrigue the heck out of me in the long irons paired with something more traditional in the short irons.
It's exactly what I did dude, 5 and 6 with more forgiveness, but at address still a super pleasing profile, and then SC and MB in the rest for true players profiles.

I always say it and it always proves true, I play better with smaller more demanding irons. Now, in the past I've been called out for that idea being nonsense and I always let that say me away, but I know now its totally true for me and to heck with the doubters.

It's exactly what I did dude, 5 and 6 with more forgiveness, but at address still a super pleasing profile, and then SC and MB in the rest for true players profiles.

I always say it and it always proves true, I play better with smaller more demanding irons. Now, in the past I've been called out for that idea being nonsense and I always let that say me away, but I know now its totally true for me and to heck with the doubters.

I definitely see where you're coming from. For some reason, I feel like I strike the ball better with something a little on the smaller side with less offset. It seems the fli his in the long irons here kind of give you the best of both worlds, which is nice.

I feel the same way about iron size and feel I also play better with a smaller shape. For some reason it inspires confidence. That's where I struggle with the I200's, just a bit larger than I like. These have me very interested, I'd love to hit some Mizuno's that live up to the Mizuno hype.

Had a quick range session with these over the weekend as the temps weren't all that bad. Oddly enough there was another guy hitting next to me who had some of the MP-18 SC irons, so we got to talking a little bit, and he let me take a few swings with his irons, and vice versa. Before I get to those brief comparisons, I wanted to share some thoughts on these.

First off, the look of these are address are fantastic, but make no mistake that are geared more towards a mid-lower handicap level. Even the MMC, which is the more technological and forgiving iron of the bunch, there is still a thinner profile, which will be favored by those who don't want the chunkier iron. There is some help here on misses, but don't head in to these thinking they will be a life savor with poor contact. Ball flight wise with the Modus 105 is a higher flight than I would have thought, in fact to the eye ball test, I thought they flew higher than my JPX 900 Forged irons with recoil shafts. Oh and these certainly feel better than those irons did IMO, I think I mentioned that before. Now the ground was cold, but a bit soft as it tends to get this time of year, and when that happens I really worry about digging in with a thinner sole and sharper leading edge, and believe me I have a long history of that. Thankfully I did not really have that experience with the exception of 1 or 2 shots, other than that I thought these irons performed nicely in that situation, they really cut through the turf nicely without really digging in. I was having some LM issues, I think it just wasn't charged enough, but from the swings I was seeing, the combo of the MMC and Modus were giving me a touch more spin compared to my Tours, but that was getting me a bit higher apex, and some more distance. If anyone remembers, I struggled with getting spin from the 900 Forged, which seemed to help rob me at times.

As for the MMC Fli Hi irons, I had more success with the 4 than the 3. But man these things are crazy. They are kind of exactly what I was looking for in my 5 iron spot for a long time, and I actually think I could add the 6 iron. Little longer in blade length and there is some sole/trailing edge visibility at address that could bother some, but the heck with that, easier to hit and nice launch. This is where the LM kind of had to catch its breath so numbers weren't clear enough to get a precise reading on distance. The amazing thing about these is how different the construction is, yet Mizuno was able to make them feel as if they are just part of the set. Kudos on that.

Oh and I mentioned the guy next to me with the SC. At address, very similar shape and size. I've said it before, the SC is the best looking of the MP-18 line, and that thought still stands with me. Only basing this off of a few swings that I got to take with them, but the SC irons feel much better to me, and produce a much quieter sound at impact. I'm sure James with his Super Internet Golfer combo set can talk about the sound and feel of the SC a lot more than I can, but that is what immediately stood out to me.

On the docket this week: More time with these and then the review should be hitting the homepage either late next week or early the following. Any questions or thoughts, feel free to chime in.

Fantastic thoughts Dean.

I saw similar when I tried to hit Ron's 3 Fli-Hi at the Reunion@Reunion, just not the level of success I have with the 5/6 which have been crazy. The launch is excellent, but, more than that the profile lets you literally hit any shot you could want to. Yesterday into the wind on a 205 par 3 I hit the prettiest little low cut up against the wind to 10 feet right of the hole, just addicting.

As for the feel, the Fli-Hi blend into the SC silly good, which shocks the hell out of me given the previous hybrid/driving irons I have hit always came of either hollow or extremely clicky. These, just fun. I actually got to hit the MMC the other day as well thanks to one of the guys at my club picking up a set and I thought they reminded me a lot of the CF16's and those likes, nice, but not on the level of the SC or MB that I am playing. I have never been one to bite on the whole Mizuno Feel thing that so many rave about, maybe because all I have been able to try and review have been the JPX lines, but these are amazing. Prior to these my litmus for "feel" in a players iron was the 765 and V6, these trump those not just in feel, but performance as well for me....and I freaking ADORED the 765's.

Fantastic thoughts Dean.

I saw similar when I tried to hit Ron's 3 Fli-Hi at the Reunion@Reunion, just not the level of success I have with the 5/6 which have been crazy. The launch is excellent, but, more than that the profile lets you literally hit any shot you could want to. Yesterday into the wind on a 205 par 3 I hit the prettiest little low cut up against the wind to 10 feet right of the hole, just addicting.

As for the feel, the Fli-Hi blend into the SC silly good, which shocks the hell out of me given the previous hybrid/driving irons I have hit always came of either hollow or extremely clicky. These, just fun. I actually got to hit the MMC the other day as well thanks to one of the guys at my club picking up a set and I thought they reminded me a lot of the CF16's and those likes, nice, but not on the level of the SC or MB that I am playing. I have never been one to bite on the whole Mizuno Feel thing that so many rave about, maybe because all I have been able to try and review have been the JPX lines, but these are amazing. Prior to these my litmus for "feel" in a players iron was the 765 and V6, these trump those not just in feel, but performance as well for me....and I freaking ADORED the 765's.

CF16 is a good reference point for the MMC, one I can certainly agree with. The Mizuno feel we hear so much about, yeah I haven't gotten that in their last few releases that I've tried. But with the SC, yup, they feel so ****ing nice.

CF16 is a good reference point for the MMC, one I can certainly agree with. The Mizuno feel we hear so much about, yeah I haven't gotten that in their last few releases that I've tried. But with the SC, yup, they feel so ****ing nice.

I won't say butter because that annoys me...but they have multiple times put me closer than I ever have been before to saying it.

I won't say butter because that annoys me...but they have multiple times put me closer than I ever have been before to saying it.

lol I refuse to use that term

lol I refuse to use that term

Same.

But, these have me closer than ever.

More than that, I can't get over how freaking perfectly the models (Fli-Hi, MMC, SC, MB) all blend stylistically and in hand. No one has done that better than these IMO. No one.

Back