Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

MP-18 Hi Fli 2 iron incoming! gotta learn some stingers

When they were in the bag, I loved the 4 Fli off the tee, mainly because I can hit a filthy little rope hook with it when I want run, or just set up and hit a high soft one to a target.

The Fli-Hi's are extremely versatile.

All things to aspire to :) For now, the goal will be to hit it at a moderate 3 iron launch angle and find the short stuff! Hitting high and low on command will come later.

DT

All things to aspire to :) For now, the goal will be to hit it at a moderate 3 iron launch angle and find the short stuff! Hitting high and low on command will come later.

DT

Haha, hey, I didn’t say I could pull it off every time, but the ability is in there, somewhere, from time to time! Ha!

I think you’ll enjoy. Criminally underrated clubs around here.

My club came in today. Kudos to Mizuno Custom for doing a very nice job with the club build.

I ordered:

MP18 MMC Fli Hi RH 3 iron
TT AMT Tour White R300
Bent 1 degree upright
Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Midsize logo down

All was documented, appears done correctly, and the club looks great.

One note though! The box Mizuno ships in is a very bold blue and has Mizuno in large text. I was not home when the club was delivered and although I live in a safe neighborhood I think the risk of having this stolen may have been fairly high.

DT

My club came in today. Kudos to Mizuno Custom for doing a very nice job with the club build.

I ordered:

MP18 MMC Fli Hi RH 3 iron
TT AMT Tour White R300
Bent 1 degree upright
Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G Midsize logo down

All was documented, appears done correctly, and the club looks great.

One note though! The box Mizuno ships in is a very bold blue and has Mizuno in large text. I was not home when the club was delivered and although I live in a safe neighborhood I think the risk of having this stolen may have been fairly high.

DT

But, it’s one of the prettiest boxes around. That box, and the Scotty Cameron yellow box make me happy happy happy to see!

Anyone else sticking with the mmc? I dropped the fli-hi for the 5 and 6 mmc. I can’t knock 5-9 mmc out of the bag.

How would a couple Fli Hi fit into the Hot Metal as a progressive set?

The new jpx fli hi hybrid is being sold in hot metal combo sets.

Anyone else sticking with the mmc? I dropped the fli-hi for the 5 and 6 mmc. I can’t knock 5-9 mmc out of the bag.

I just might stay where I am. I am such a HO and that is all I did last year in place of playing golf and I was disgusted with myself when the season ended and my HC had not improved one bit.
I went through more than half a dozen iron sets last year and the MMC PW through 5i were my favorite. I do love my 3i and 4i Srixon U65 too....in fact my bag seems to fit me well right now.
So I very well may stay with MMC this year. I really like:
1. The feel with Recoil shafts is SO good
2. Distance seems competitive with everything in this class
3. The shape and size is perfect for my eye.
I really don't like:
1. They don't change the fact that I can't putt :)

The MMC were really good, I just didn’t see the reason to sacrifice the better feel of the SC for them when it came to performance.

But man, the MP18 release was stacked top to bottom. Makes me really curious to see the next evolution when it’s time.

I loved the MP18 enough that I’ve still got them, and that says a ton.

I’ve done some testing and found, for me, the 5 and 6 mmc launch 2* higher respectively than their mmc counterparts. Clubs are identical recoil f3, +1/2, 3 up. So, I have 4, 5, and 6 fli-hi for no reason. The mmc goes higher and straighter than both. I do see a ball speed increase, but club speed is faster with mmc so total ball speed increase is 1mph. With the higher launch the mmc flies the same and checks up. Ball was Prov1.

I’m bagging 5-9 mmc for the year and putting a 816 25* back in for the 4 iron slot.

Also finally reinstalled the 7i shaft into my MP18’s, excited to take them back out tomorrow because it’s been a long while.

Also finally reinstalled the 7i shaft into my MP18’s, excited to take them back out tomorrow because it’s been a long while.

Talk to me Goose! These are tugging at me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talk to me Goose! These are tugging at me!

Hahaha, I have and did play a Fli-Hi/SC/MB combo, always posted in here because it was a more active thread.

Great players style irons, a lot of fun.

Just not what’s best for me. But, I did keep them which says a lot.

How would a couple Fli Hi fit into the Hot Metal as a progressive set?

I'm currently testing the Fli-Hi 3-iron bent to 20* as a potential replacement to my 3H. The Fli-Hi's head is a little more compact than my HM 5-iron, and there's noticeably less offset. My prevalent miss is left, so the latter is the primary reason I chose it over the HM 4-iron. So far I'm finding the Fli-Hi to be a long, straight wonder off the tee. I have yet to use it off the turf on the course, but I've had no problem elevating it off the range mats. At this point all I could ask for is a bit more forgiveness.

Looking forward to the MP-20 range coming out soon but just wanted to give one last shout out to the MP-18 Fli Hi's. Nice compact hollow headed irons that really do gain a tad more peak height than your standard set iron. I ending up replacing 4-6 in my JPX 919 Forged with the Fli-Hi's instead. On a whim I just ordered a Fli-Hi 3 iron since they are dirt cheap now and figured it'd be fun to mess around with on the range or even potentially game on the course.

Most likely a full set of MP-20 HMB's will be finding their way home to me but until that time the Fli-Hi's will keep on being awesome.

Last edited:
I think the biggest benefit of the MMC over the SC is toe strikes in the 5,6 irons. I am amazed how far they still travel with MMC. I love mine and playing the best golf of my life. Just got a 4 Fli hi with same shaft of my irons to try out. Curious if it will beat out my G410 22°. First round with it tomorrow.

To those who played these I apologize about my dumb question but, how do you feel about these for a 15 handicap? Is this even reasonable to consider for devoid performance or would you automatically go towards jpx hot metal, ap1 718, or z585?

To those who played these I apologize about my dumb question but, how do you feel about these for a 15 handicap? Is this even reasonable to consider for devoid performance or would you automatically go towards jpx hot metal, ap1 718, or z585?

hard to say, you could be a 15 handicapper in many different ways. I had them and really enjoyed the MMC. it way different then the others you mentioned that are also great options. I think if you hit the ball well and don’t need the extra launch or distance of the others you mentioned you will be fine .

Yeah I’m so so in terms of iron play but do have a high ball flight and plenty of spin normally. I have some Cleveland 588mt now that I hate and to me
Feel clunky but just don’t know what range would be best.

Back