Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

they certainly did a nice job of blending things together. Heading in to this, I get the point that the MMC is the high tech version of these, but I don't know how much more someone will get from it than they would the SC. Hopefully I can find an SC iron that I can test against on the monitor. I'm also curious on these vs the 900 Forged I have. To my eye, I was hitting this 7 iron a bit higher, and I won't lie, I thought it recaptured more of that Mizuno feel that I thought the 900's lacked.

That's great to hear, I felt like last years models lacked that feel and sound at impact that they are known for and from what I had become used to, this thread has certainly generated some interest in the line and I'm going to give these a good look too.

The MMC feel a bit different than the others in the group, but that is to be expected based on the inclusion of the tungsten and titanium. They are a still forged clubhead, but have a slightly different feel. Coming from the JPX 900 Forged, the feel is improved IMO. I credit that to these going back to a familiar material instead of playing around with Boron. Do you have any specific clubs in mind to compare feel wise?

Currently still playing forged stainless 704 cb but not sure anything out there feels like that since I haven’t seen forged stainless in a while. Also interested in seeing how the MMC compare to the SC as well as the 718 AP2 in the feel and forgiveness dept.

Currently still playing forged stainless 704 cb but not sure anything out there feels like that since I haven’t seen forged stainless in a while. Also interested in seeing how the MMC compare to the SC as well as the 718 AP2 in the feel and forgiveness dept.

SC feels more traditional Mizuno like with a pure forged feel, MMC is slightly more clicky/hard/harsh feeling.
Forgiveness wise, I could not really tell much difference as I actually hit the SCs better than MMCs.

For me, 718 AP2 was more clicky than the MMC - feel was no comparison, hands down MP18 MMC/SCs were better.
Both are pretty irons, but MP18 SCs fit my eyes better and I hit them better(higher smash factor, in a tighter dispersion circle) than AP2s with the same shafts.
Not sure if that is any indicator of forgiveness though as both need a good swing.

4 Fli-Hi acquired! Will go head to head with the CLK for the bag!

4 Fli-Hi acquired! Will go head to head with the CLK for the bag!

will definitely look forward to that comparison.

Oh and review for these should be going up early next week. Brace yourself folks, it's a long one.

Oh and review for these should be going up early next week. Brace yourself folks, it's a long one.

I like a good long read. Especially if there’s a lot of pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Psh, you know not long.

But, these deserve it, I truly believe that. Mizuno has KILLED it with the MP18 release.

I was interested to see the 4 Fli Hi since I had read and heard around the interwebz that it looks 'clunky'. To each their own I guess, because I think it's quite sleek looking. I'm absolutely loving how the Fli Hi > MMC > SC blends together and I can't get over how great these irons feel. I'm a happy camper :D.

I was interested to see the 4 Fli Hi since I had read and heard around the interwebz that it looks 'clunky'. To each their own I guess, because I think it's quite sleek looking. I'm absolutely loving how the Fli Hi > MMC > SC blends together and I can't get over how great these irons feel. I'm a happy camper :D.

Yeah I don't get the clunky thing either. Sure you can see a bit of the sole back end at address, but it's not like looking down at something like the D200 irons.

I gave the MMC 8i another try outside. Nice looking club. I like how it is a players side profile but the top line has a bit more beef. That part reminds me of my PTx irons a little bit. The MMC had a steel shaft and my gamer is graphite so it isn't exactly apples to apples. That said, I didn't think the MMC felt discernibly different or better than my gamers. It was also a full club shorter than my gamer, but again different shafts and head profile.

4 Fli HI came in today. Will be fun to see how it works for my personal game.

Sooo...I finally got to play a few indoor simulator rounds with my Fli-Hi/MMC combo set. (Had to stare at the box under the tree for the last month :excruciating:.) Absolutely loved everything about them!!!

What’s more, I played last night with a friend, let him hit a few shots, and he was so impressed that he ordered a set for himself today. Just two or three swings and he was sold, mere minutes after saying he would never move on from his Ping Eye 2’s.

Sooo...I finally got to play a few indoor simulator rounds with my Fli-Hi/MMC combo set. (Had to stare at the box under the tree for the last month :excruciating:.) Absolutely loved everything about them!!!

What’s more, I played last night with a friend, let him hit a few shots, and he was so impressed that he ordered a set for himself today. Just two or three swings and he was sold, mere minutes after saying he would never move on from his Ping Eye 2’s.

that's awesome to hear.

Just got fitted and purchased these! Awesome feel to these clubs. I have 3-6 in the Fli Hi and 7-P in MMC. I am staring at a little snow and arctic temperatures so my gaming with these will be on simulators for a few weeks!

Just got fitted and purchased these! Awesome feel to these clubs. I have 3-6 in the Fli Hi and 7-P in MMC. I am staring at a little snow and arctic temperatures so my gaming with these will be on simulators for a few weeks!
Nice!!!!! Enjoy them!

That is the combo I am looking at to start my year with. Will just need to grab that 5 and 6 fli hi. Looking forward to how they work out for you.

That is the combo I am looking at to start my year with. Will just need to grab that 5 and 6 fli hi. Looking forward to how they work out for you.
Do it.

Do it.

Do it.

How would you rate the FliHi in terms of forgiveness compared to say a Callaway Apex Hybrid or some more GI irons such as Mizuno Hot Metals? Thinking mainly about replacing 5-6i but can't get my hands on these to test.

How would you rate the FliHi in terms of forgiveness compared to say a Callaway Apex Hybrid or some more GI irons such as Mizuno Hot Metals? Thinking mainly about replacing 5-6i but can't get my hands on these to test.

Good question.

To answer it the best I can, I am going to take out certain preferences that a golfer might have,. Whether a player wants to look down on or hit a GI iron, more of a players style look, or a hybrid. As we know those preferences will ultimately play a big role in the decision process. How many times have we heard someone say they get great numbers from a hybrid, but don't like the look, can't hit them, or hook them like crazy?

OK so to your real question, I feel I'm in a good spot to answer because I have played the Apex 4h since December 2015, and spent this year with a combo set of JPX900 Hot Metals 4-6, and then the Fli Hi in the 3 & 4 iron with this set. Here is what I would tell you, which is all based on my testing.

Between the two irons Hot Metal and Fli Hi, I saw slightly more ball speed ball speed on average with the hot metal. I thought they really did a good job of giving plenty of punch. I would still give them the edge in terms of forgiveness vs the Fli Hi. BUT if I was looking to blend a set together(depending on what the other set is), I'd lean towards these because the lines are cleaner and adds a more flawless transition.

Bring the Apex in the fold, I find it more forgiving than both options, but there are certainly more forgiving options in the hybrid category. What I like about this club is the consistency, every time I take it out of the bag, I have a really high percentage idea of what the shot is going to be like. I find it easier(for me) to hit than both of the other options listed in the question.

Don't get me from the Fli Hi offers some good forgivness in a small package, they are quite good.

Yeah, I'm with Dean on his above. The Apex is going to offer more forgiveness than the Fli-Hi based on footprint and available perimeter weighting alone, but the Apex is definitely not a super forgiving option, so IMO the Hot Metals would probably push it there.

For me, I too gamed the Apex hybos since 2015 and the Fli-Hi's are in the bag there now, and the reason is I get the same consistency I loved with the apex, but in a better look, and most importantly for me, easier launch. I love love love the Apex hybos but the Fli-Hi's are a hoot.

After a 3 week fitting lol, ordered the 4,5 fli hi with ctaper lite, 6-pw mmc and a t7 50 wedge with same shaft. Couldn't get the spin down at all in the SC but the MMC were perfect numbers indoor and out. As most know I am a Titleist nut but with no way to really seamlessly blend an ap2/ap3 with lofts/looks the FliHi/MMC just flat out preformed and felt better even in the MMC. Plus saving 500 bucks helps out as well. Also hit the st180 driver and that thing is savage. Hopefully have them in 8 days!

One thing I found interesting was I hit the fli hi 4,5 irons fantastic, when we got to the 6 iron I actually hit the regular MMC better. Was fully expecting a 6 in the fli hi too. Pretty cool how easy it is to just drop a fli hi or add one. These irons should really easy to hit for a lot of people. I know the size is small but man they are forgiving

I think a 3 iron in the Fli Hi is worth a try and see if it really is more consistent then my hybrids in rotation.

Irons came in today! Very excited to get these out! Suppose to be close to 50 on Friday so hopefully this snow melts so I can get them on the course!

Irons came in today! Very excited to get these out! Suppose to be close to 50 on Friday so hopefully this snow melts so I can get them on the course!

awesome! 50 on Friday? Wonder if I can get out your way and we can both get our MP18 on?! Hope you are able to get them out, really looking forward to your thoughts.

Back