Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

Alright I'm back in the hard ponder of a combo set of these. I'm thinking 5 and 6 iron in the Fli Hi and the rest SC. For those of you that have done a combo set how many degrees did you get the Fli Hi bent to get some consistency in distances?

Mine go 1* weak into the 7 SC.

Can you compare the sole width of the 4-iron Fli-Hi to another iron?

I love my Z945's, but sometimes a bit of cold morning help in the 4-iron would be appreciated. Probably helps gapping into the 18-20* spot too.

Can you compare the sole width of the 4-iron Fli-Hi to another iron?

I love my Z945's, but sometimes a bit of cold morning help in the 4-iron would be appreciated. Probably helps gapping into the 18-20* spot too.

I'l try to tomorrow, with newborn twins escaping to the car to take pictures of clubs will get some gnarly glares from the boss. Haha

Alright I'm back in the hard ponder of a combo set of these. I'm thinking 5 and 6 iron in the Fli Hi and the rest SC. For those of you that have done a combo set how many degrees did you get the Fli Hi bent to get some consistency in distances?

I did hifli and mmc. Didn’t change any lofts. You’re not supposed to change the lofts even if you’re mixing them with blades. They are lofted lower but by design launch higher, so they were planned to blend into their traditional lofted blade or sc sets with no adjustment necessary. It isn’t the specd loft but launch angle that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did hifli and mmc. Didn’t change any lofts. You’re not supposed to change the lofts even if you’re mixing them with blades. They are lofted lower but by design launch higher, so they were planned to blend into their traditional lofted blade or sc sets with no adjustment necessary. It isn’t the specd loft but launch angle that matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually had a long conversation with the local Mizuno rep about this when I ordered, and that isnt the story I got at all. To make distances blend from Fli-Hi to SC/MB I was told many orders took the Fli-Hi 1 weak and it's something they had no issue with in placing orders. They knew that would be something those who were going g SC into Fli-Hi rather than MMC into Fli-Hi would be interested in and likely to look at doing.

Looking at Mizunos website there is a 6 degree gap between the Fli Hi 6 and SC 7. That's compared to the 4 degree gapping between the rest of the SC set which would make me think you would want to bend the Fli Hi to gap a little better.

I'm definitely not an expert at all so I could definitely be wrong.

My Fitter has 2-4 in fli hi and 5-PW in the MB. He went 1 weak in fli hi and 1 strong in mb

Looking at Mizunos website there is a 6 degree gap between the Fli Hi 6 and SC 7. That's compared to the 4 degree gapping between the rest of the SC set which would make me think you would want to bend the Fli Hi to gap a little better.

I'm definitely not an expert at all so I could definitely be wrong.

I had my MMC 5i bent 1 degree weak to close the gap to 4 degrees and have been pleased with the performance!

Actually had a long conversation with the local Mizuno rep about this when I ordered, and that isnt the story I got at all. To make distances blend from Fli-Hi to SC/MB I was told many orders took the Fli-Hi 1 weak and it's something they had no issue with in placing orders. They knew that would be something those who were going g SC into Fli-Hi rather than MMC into Fli-Hi would be interested in and likely to look at doing.

Sounds well thought out across the lines.

I didn't hit this off the tee today since I was testing a driver shaft but got to hit the 2i off the deck 3 times I believe and all were good...really good. Honestly astonished at how easily I can consistently hit a damn 2i off the deck. Makes golf fun to be able to hit it this well, 3 and 4 irons will be here by Thursday and I have big expectations for this feel good stuff to continue.

They obviously did some very good work with the sole design and the weighting in the sole. If you're considering these, do yourself a favor and proceed.

I hit the 4iron so well I'm thinking about the 3iron in a bad way.

I didn't hit this off the tee today since I was testing a driver shaft but got to hit the 2i off the deck 3 times I believe and all were good...really good. Honestly astonished at how easily I can consistently hit a damn 2i off the deck. Makes golf fun to be able to hit it this well, 3 and 4 irons will be here by Thursday and I have big expectations for this feel good stuff to continue.

They obviously did some very good work with the sole design and the weighting in the sole. If you're considering these, do yourself a favor and proceed.
I.

Told.

You.

If it boots the 5hy from my bag then I go one step further and add the 4, you know it's legit.

I have a mixed set of all the mp18 line:

mb pw-8
sc 7, 6
mmc 5, 4
fli hi 3

Mizuno bent the 3, 4, 5 one degree weak to match lofts and gapping. Absolutely loving the set!! They all blend well together and I can't tell a difference between feels. I'm a long time mizuno player and I think the whole mp18 line is the best they have produced in the last 20 years.

I have a mixed set of all the mp18 line:

mb pw-8
sc 7, 6
mmc 5, 4
fli hi 3

Mizuno bent the 3, 4, 5 one degree weak to match lofts and gapping. Absolutely loving the set!! They all blend well together and I can't tell a difference between feels. I'm a long time mizuno player and I think the whole mp18 line is the best they have produced in the last 20 years.
Really wishing I'd gone 9 in the MB as well and not just PW.

The 18's are the first Mizuno iron I've ever used that live up to, and exceed, the Mizuno aura/hype.

Really wishing I'd gone 9 in the MB as well and not just PW.

The 18's are the first Mizuno iron I've ever used that live up to, and exceed, the Mizuno aura/hype.

you and your MB love.

you and your MB love.

The mb love is contagious. Everyone that has hit mine, just rave about them and can't seem to put them down.

The mb love is contagious. Everyone that has hit mine, just rave about them and can't seem to put them down.

the feel of them is pretty damn good. I'm still on the MMC train, which don't feel quite as good, but still enjoying the MP18 line.

you and your MB love.
I'm lethal with that PW. Amazing what has happened when I finally stopped letting people tell me I need bigger and more forgiving irons. Haha
the feel of them is pretty damn good. I'm still on the MMC train, which don't feel quite as good, but still enjoying the MP18 line.
You need to get the 5/6 Fli-Hi added in there and game them.

I currently play jpx 850 forged with ctl 105 and I am off 10.4 with great chipping and putting and a lousy R flex tee to green game. I play 6-P and 818 hybrids 21, 25. I really wanted more control than wood like faces give me and I have a steeper swing. I generally hit a straight ball and for some reason offset makes me leave the face open more often than shut it down. I have been playing recoil 95 in vokeys 48/54/60 and wanted to try them in my next Zunos.

I tend to dislike the look of irons intended for my hcp range like the 900 hot metal.

After some contemplation, I got 4 5 6 to try this week in the fli hi w recoil 95. I hit them better than any iron or hybrid I have tried. I am going to add the mmc in 7-P with the same shaft. I’m 1/2” over and the 95 feels better than the 105.

I normally play 6i about 160 and I had a couple in the 170 range today. I play the rxs ball and they were launching mid high and spinning to a stop on the greens.

Very pleased.

UPDATE:

long story short, returned my combo set. I came home with MMC in 4-pw and and 3 fli hi with Modus 120.

UPDATE:

long story short, returned my combo set. I came home with MMC in 4-pw and and 3 fli hi with Modus 120.

Very nice, I've zero doubt you're going to love them. Fantastically underrated irons.

Back