The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friday got out on course for practice, mainly to break in the new CF16 and work on distances for them. It's tough to judge this time of year due to the cold.

But mainly I was able to get a pretty good feel for the range of distance on misses and well struck shots.

The session also reminded me big-time, that I need to work on getting rid of the OTT move. i hit a few just pureed shots that unfortunately started left and drew, so those would have been no bueno in an actual round.

I'm fortuante to be able to practice on course as i see real world interaction with the turf and lies, versus using a mat where the poor results of mishits are disguised a bit.

Range session today. Was just o.k. At the end I got a case of the fats. Lunging? Not totally sure.

19e96e593548e71bd79b1cbb227de263_zpscp8jjklg.jpg

Was good and layered up!

JM

On a recommendation from Freddie, I worked on standing taller and getting a bit closer to the ball today.
09674bdfb6c9a8046ad50aba417a80b5.jpg

my boy wanted to go to the range today even though yesterday was a disaster. he did great! he switched between 7i and driver, and for a 4yo I think he was doing pretty well!

I brought my 7i and driver as well. I focused on a wrist hinge instead of rolling, and ended up hitting some nice irons but consistency suffered. I was pounding driver. in addition to the wrist hinge, I focused on Freddie's advice to keep the club in front, and tried to keep my head behind the ball at impact instead of lunging forward. it was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was a little disappointed on some putts after my round Saturday, ( I was putting myself in great shape, even on some tough lies, to get up & down quite a few times, and just couldn't make the putt ) so I went to the putting green that afternoon. Just focused on using the line on the ball to line up the putt, and the big thing for me is not peeking. When I do that, the putt is going to miss right. Stroke felt smoother, and I made 10 4 footers in a row twice, so I that's a start! I putted some yesterday as well at home yesterday, just focusing on the feel of the stroke. I know the length I use to have off the tee probably will not be coming back, so putting & short game have to be a strength.

I spent a good half an hour today doing nothing but working on my backswing. I noticed a huge dropoff in distance on the sim yesterday along with some really weak fades, which I thought I had eliminated.

Well, looking at the vids TeedUpThoughts posted during our THPCallout showed my problem right away - I somehow have gone away from all the good stuff Freddie and my pro had me working on, and my backswing was all arms. Zero big muscles. So I'll be spending a lot of time re-ingraining a proper shoulder turn and takeaway this winter.

Spent another 1.5 hours at the golf dome this morning. I've been reading over what Freddie wrote up for me after reviewing a bunch of videos I had sent him. My focus is to be a little taller and let my arms hang down, instead of being extended out away from my body...and taking the club straight back. Today I was doing my darndest to really make sure I did this on each swing. While of course it feels a bit different, I was noticing how much easier swinging the club seems to be. My irons seemed to fly a bit higher with a tight little draw. My hybrid was also solid and was going right where I was aiming with a pop. My 4 woods and driver, which give me the most trouble, were much more consistent today. While they weren't perfect by any stretch, they were solid. At one point I hit 5 straight 4 woods into the same exact spot with the same ball flight and sound. It was awesome! The driver I am still hitting a little high on the club face, but it's been consistent. To say I'm excited about this change and the results so far would be an understatement..... I've got a month to groove it and then help the Marauders take the #KickoffClassic.

Side note: If you don't take lessons or want a second opinion, I encourage you to send Freddie video if you need help. I was terrified to put my swing on video and have it be seen, but I'm super glad I did!! ?

Doing what I can to hone down the putting stroke inside the house while it's brutal outside. Hard to putt with a Chessie trying to retrieve every ball you hit. I make sure not to use good ProV1's. If you ever find a ball with dog tooth marks in it ... it's probably mine.

c9eeb3d12636a5fd40fc735d7674c7a7.jpg

914a94858392109645de844d4e1559e1.jpg

Hmmmm. ... which one to use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've been spending 30 minutes a day on the basics - stance and takeaway. My swing became all arms and I'm doing everything I can to fix that. Vids from this weekend show me with hunched shoulders and very little body turn, so I've been just working on getting into a good setup and starting my swing with my shoulders, all things Freddie and my pro had me doing but I got away from. Just laziness. I have all winter to work on this to be ready for the spring.

Got to the range tonight. Working on trying to clear my hips and not sway on the downswing so much.

882a3b8efb6f06e65f42fc136bae547f.jpg

Doing what I can to hone down the putting stroke inside the house while it's brutal outside. Hard to putt with a Chessie trying to retrieve every ball you hit. I make sure not to use good ProV1's. If you ever find a ball with dog tooth marks in it ... it's probably mine.

c9eeb3d12636a5fd40fc735d7674c7a7.jpg

914a94858392109645de844d4e1559e1.jpg

Hmmmm. ... which one to use?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I deal with the same thing Chris. Hell, one of my dogs, a Boston Terrier, goes after my golf club. He has flat out chewed the cover right off a golf ball. I'm pretty sure he is slightly "off"!

Give that pooch a little training and you won't need that ball return track!

Got to the range last night - pretty cold (32' ) and it started snowing while I was there.

Worked again mainly on controlling distances. One drill I did was pick a target ( this one was about 90 yards out ) and practiced hitting it with my LW down to my 7 iron - 1 shot then switch to the next club. Was really happy with how that went. Hit about 5 drives with the XR driver I picked up 3 weeks ago ( loved the 4 wood so much, figured I'd give the driver a shot ) and this club just flat out works for me. Hit 5 balls ( so cold, I was leery even about hitting it at all ) and got the same result I am getting on the course - this club just wants to go straight, and although with the wet & cold here lately, the distance is there as well.

Looks like it will be indoor putting drills for a few days with the impending snow on the way!

Hit a small bucket at the range during lunch. After warming up I tried to hit draws and fades. I was able to draw a few shots with my 6I. All my attempts at fades went straight as did my attempts to hit a draw my 4W. It was a short session and I ran out of balls and time to experiment too much with curving the ball. Think I'm going to keep practicing this stuff for before the #KickoffClassic event next month.

Done some wedges distance control shots today on GC2 what about these 3 shots!! https://vimeo.com/152622738

All 54 degree half back to full follow through!

Hit a small bucket at the range during lunch. After warming up I tried to hit draws and fades. I was able to draw a few shots with my 6I. All my attempts at fades went straight as did my attempts to hit a draw my 4W. It was a short session and I ran out of balls and time to experiment too much with curving the ball. Think I'm going to keep practicing this stuff for before the #KickoffClassic event next month.
You might need some on course practice, my friend!

I had a full iron swing lesson - first one in probably a year. I had used the same instructor for my Driver, he reminded me of that lesson, and gave me some thoughts and a drill to work on my irons, with ball flight much tighter and better flight. Pretty sure the distance increased a little, also, but it was tough to tell due to the wind in my face the entire session. Will continue to work on the swing, hope it stays in play over the weekend.

Lately I've been playing decent golf despite having a heck of a time getting off the tee in a respectable manner. Went yesterday before work and did a little work on my irons but really focused on driver and 3w. Basically I tweaked my setup to make it much more iron like. Ball slightly forward, slight shoulder tilt and then a smooth takeaway. Was amazed at the results and can't wait to get it on the course.

Also took this pic, which was perhaps the highlight. Sunrise over the range with a little rainbow action.

I haven't actually practiced in a LONG time and I'm getting the itch to work on the swing again.
If I can tighten up a few things and get my putting back on track 2016 should be a solid year for me.

I need to work on keeping the back swing short of parallel, and getting back to my old fiery release through the zone. I've been hanging back lately and blocking all manner of shots wide right.

Played in a scramble tournament today. Had a couple of issues with my approach shots.

Hit the practice range after the round. Spent a fair amount of time with the 52 and 56 wedge, 8i, and 6i. Working on getting my swing more compact, really concentrating on getting some lag and keeping the hands in front of the ball thru the swing.
Hit driver - really pleased with the way I am getting off the tee recently, so just reinforcing the good feeling and results.
Then I spent two hours hitting bunker shots and chipping. I would guess I hit over 300 shots, really concentrating on getting the club on the ball at the lowest point of the swing arc.
Finished up with putting - no drills, just distance control.

I managed to book a last minute lesson for this evening with a Pro I've talked to but never taken a lesson from. There was a lot of back and forth and he had an interesting perspective on my swing. Long story short he had me work on:
1) Grip. He put my hands tighter together - seems like a small change but it made a massive difference.
2) Vertical takeaway. It feels like I'm swinging crazy steep but when I see it on video it looks good - the results were solid and speak for themselves.
3) Alignment. I wasn't able to successfully do what he was trying to get me to do. I like to setup open to the target and he wants me to setup closed.

It was interesting to say the least but by the end of the lesson I was absolutely striping the ball all the way through the bag and I'm comfortable with the direction and instruction. The cherry on the cake was when he told me I hit the ball too high...I've NEVER heard that before.

Hit a big bucket at the range with my brother today and progressed through the bag working on stuff from my last lesson - ball position, staying down on the ball, extension. Mixed success, still needs some work but overall a solid session. Also played some mini games and scenarios, which was a lot of fun!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Swing drills and putting in the basement. I figure a range won't be open for at least another week in these parts.

Swing drills and putting in the basement. I figure a range won't be open for at least another week in these parts.

Are you able to take full swings in the basement? Don't think I could do more than a 3/4 with the low ceilings in mine. I really need to set mine up, but the kids bounce house takes precedent...not fair, I need play time too :)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Got to the range this morning and considering how long it has been since I last hit a ball I was very happy with how things went

Decided to try listening to music for a change and just chilled out whilst hitting nice easy PW shots at the 100yd flag to get loosened up and then swapped between PW, 8i, 7i, 3W and driver

All I need now is the chance to get to the range regularly to get more practice before hitting the course for the first time this year

Hit the dome this morning for some work on my game. Been working on standing a little taller and letting my arms hang, instead of being stiff and stretched out. It's been great with my irons and hybrid. It's helped with my woods. I just need to get some more practice in. May hit the outdoor range this afternoon since it's above 30*. Really excited to get better and that I'm working on something that I know is on the right track.

f3a59a29ef712035cf54211821c0d1fa.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back