Distracted Driving thread- Lets pledge to STOP!!!!

My wife and I recently started to take this very seriously with the new one around -- especially when he's in the car.

Rob, I'm really sorry that happened but I am glad more damage was not done.

Please be careful out there friends!

Rob, take care in recovering.

Glad you and the other driver are ok Rob. I need to do better at this. So easy to think I can read a quick text or email while driving, and I just have to stop doing it.

I appreciate the thoughts guys and I'll be fine I'm sure. But no need to feel bad for me. It was completely my lack of responsubolity.

As we were talking the lady asked if I had teenagers and would use this as a lesson to them. I told her I don't but If she does, feel free to have them call me if they don't believe how fast it can happen and how much more severe it could be.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Glad you're okay Rob, and no one was injured too severly

Sorry to hear about that CAA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is something I need to do a better job of. Not so much texting but I'll be switching songs on Spotify or something.

Unfortunate bump:

I have to bring this thread back to life, and sadly it's due to my breaking the plege (quite honestly a long time ago) I got back into the habit of reading and yes sending text while driving.

Odd thing is I have the do not disturb feature turned on my phone, as I know at least a few of you on here have gotten that message when texting me. But I completely ignored it and..

Last night it it caught up with me. I had an accident while looking down to grab my phone and read a text. Literally 3 or 4 seconds, and in that time the car in front of me had come to a complete and unexpected stop.

I barely even had time to hit the breaks. Damage to my car was pretty severe on the front end, and found out this morning just the engine parts that were damaged will be close to $2,000 The body shop hasn't looked at the front end bodydamage yet

The other driver was fine physically as her truck absorbed most of the blow from her rear end bumper. I ended up at patient first with a very sore neck and headaches. The Dr. Did complete X-rays and saw the neck had compressed a bit (as my head jammed into the ceiling of my SUV upon impact and was inflamed bit no major injury. Just gave me some muscle relaxers and told me to follow up with a neuro surgeon by next Tuesday.

So lesson learned for good this time I hope. Fortunately the woman was very cool about it. A off duty police officer stopped and asked if we were OK, he said if we felt their were no injuries, there was no need to call the police. It wasn't until about an hour or so later that the soreness really started. Which made me glad as I wouldn't really have wanted to explain "how" it happened.

So so time for everyone to get serious about this again. As unlucky as I was, I realize how much worst it could have been. I have nobody to blame but myself.

sorry to hear bud. Glad it sounds like nothing serious at this time and hopefully the neuro visit goes fine.

Glad to hear your doing okay and hopefully nothing physically comes of it, but thanks for having the guts to share this with us, I know sometimes we all need things to hit closer to home in order to have reality set it. Having friends admit mistakes openly helps everyone, not only the person involved. So with that, Thank You

Unfortunate bump:

I have to bring this thread back to life, and sadly it's due to my breaking the plege (quite honestly a long time ago) I got back into the habit of reading and yes sending text while driving.

Odd thing is I have the do not disturb feature turned on my phone, as I know at least a few of you on here have gotten that message when texting me. But I completely ignored it and..

Last night it it caught up with me. I had an accident while looking down to grab my phone and read a text. Literally 3 or 4 seconds, and in that time the car in front of me had come to a complete and unexpected stop.

I barely even had time to hit the breaks. Damage to my car was pretty severe on the front end, and found out this morning just the engine parts that were damaged will be close to $2,000 The body shop hasn't looked at the front end bodydamage yet

The other driver was fine physically as her truck absorbed most of the blow from her rear end bumper. I ended up at patient first with a very sore neck and headaches. The Dr. Did complete X-rays and saw the neck had compressed a bit (as my head jammed into the ceiling of my SUV upon impact and was inflamed bit no major injury. Just gave me some muscle relaxers and told me to follow up with a neuro surgeon by next Tuesday.

So lesson learned for good this time I hope. Fortunately the woman was very cool about it. A off duty police officer stopped and asked if we were OK, he said if we felt their were no injuries, there was no need to call the police. It wasn't until about an hour or so later that the soreness really started. Which made me glad as I wouldn't really have wanted to explain "how" it happened.

So so time for everyone to get serious about this again. As unlucky as I was, I realize how much worst it could have been. I have nobody to blame but myself.

I'm sorry to learn a lesson on your behalf but I've started doing it again too and now I will stop again. Feel better buddy, hopefully the soreness will leave you soon

Last edited:
That's awful Rob. Hope your okay.

Thanks for the calls and texts today everyone. I really am ok for the most part. Still just a bit sore, but the Dr. said to expect thst.

I will admit when I picked up the rental today, I was a bit jittery most of the day. But I can in full honesty say, the phone stayed in my pocket the entire time.

Glad to see others say this served as a good reminder to let the texts wait. If it makes our roads a bit safer than I'm glad.

Unfortunate bump:

I'm glad you are alright and thanks for posting this. My nephew just got his drivers permit and I'm going to show him this post.

Takes a man to admit he screwed up. Glad you didn't hurt anyone else or yourself dude. I'm guilty of it from time to time and this is a reminder for me to stop. Thanks

Glad you are o.k rob. Thanks for manning up and sharing this. My daughter just got her learners permit, and you can bet this is an issue I will constantly harp on her about.

I saw the rant post and I'm glad you're okay, Rob.

Unfortunate bump:

Sorry to hear Rob! Hope you feel better soon.

Distracted Driving thread- Lets pledge to STOP!!!!

So glad that Tpluff stopped trying to get his RR entry in while driving. Could have been real bad. But glad he go into OH V MI RR!

Learned my lesson Friday driving to the airport at 3:30am. Was changing my Spotify playlist and almost hit a coyote in the middle of the highway. Not doing that again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just talked to my parents and a friend from school lost his mother last night in a car accident, she went head on with a semi. Initial cause is suspected to be texting and driving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just talked to my parents and a friend from school lost his mother last night in a car accident, she went head on with a semi. Initial cause is suspected to be texting and driving.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's terrible to hear.

Thankfully the damage to my car from being backed into by someone on her cell phone isn't bad, $120 total to fix & clean it up which will be paid for out of her pocket. But the whole rigamarole of getting the estimate, finding paint, dealing with collecting the payment from her is just a PITA.

Bumping this to go along with Deuce's post in the Banter Thread.

Im taking the pledge!!!

I started working as a crash investigator for the NHTSA about 2 months ago. After seeing the state some of these cars are in, not that I did before, but there is no way I'll be texting and driving. You can add drink driving to that too.

Back