Can I handle the Project X LZ Red shaft?

capecodbeach

Reaction score
Handicap
I would like to try a Callaway XR 3Deep but am concerned the LZ Red 70 shaft will be too much for my 88 mph swing speed? Am I right to be concerned? Will it be too heavy and too tip stiff for me to get any distance out of the 3Deep (14*). I do play an XR 5wood with the LZ (Blue?) but only in a regular 5.5. Thoughts?

In the 3 Deep I think you could be okay.
If it gives you some trouble, and you make the THP Event in your area coming up in a few months, you are welcome to test some other shafts on the range on the launch monitor.

You never really know until you try it. I have tried shafts in the past, and currently in the case of my driver shaft, that I thought based on the shaft profile that there was no way I would be able to hit it but was surprised.

I would like to try a Callaway XR 3Deep but am concerned the LZ Red 70 shaft will be too much for my 88 mph swing speed? Am I right to be concerned? Will it be too heavy and too tip stiff for me to get any distance out of the 3Deep (14*). I do play an XR 5wood with the LZ (Blue?) but only in a regular 5.5. Thoughts?

I assume you are looking at the same flex, 5.5? The Red 70 is much firmer in the tip, has shorter loading zone and 1 degree lower torque than the Blue. What does that mean? It will play and feel stiffer and launch lower than the Blue shaft you have will (in the same head). It's not too much shaft for you, it just depends on what you are trying to do. If you are looking to use the 3Deep ( i play one BTW, I love the deep line) as an off the tee club or for long second shots on par 5s than it will work well for you. If you are looking for it as a second shot into greens clubs than it might not be the best fit to prevent rolling through shots that hit the green.

DB

I assume you are looking at the same flex, 5.5? The Red 70 is much firmer in the tip, has shorter loading zone and 1 degree lower torque than the Blue. What does that mean? It will play and feel stiffer and launch lower than the Blue shaft you have will (in the same head). It's not too much shaft for you, it just depends on what you are trying to do. If you are looking to use the 3Deep ( i play one BTW, I love the deep line) as an off the tee club or for long second shots on par 5s than it will work well for you. If you are looking for it as a second shot into greens clubs than it might not be the best fit to prevent rolling through shots that hit the green.

DB

You can't beat that type of expertise anywhere!!! Great job Don, your expertise is appreciated by all of us!!

I love the PX red's in my XR pro FW's

I have the LZ red in my GBB after having the blue in my 815. I have a 103 ss and I could tell a difference in the two, both are stiff flex. I'd listen to DB TT, though. Don is the man.

Back