Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
THP is getting a closer look at Mizuno's MP18-MMC and FLI HI Irons. This thread will act as a place to throw down some thoughts throughout the testing process, as well as for other THPers to chime in on their experiences, thoughts, or questions about these clubs. Below is some company information, as well as some in hand pics.

From Mizuno

MP-18 MMC FLI HI IRONS

The finishing touch to an MP-18 set. The hollow body, long iron replacement provides an added element of speed, power and launch. The sleek new profile now envelopes a Maraging Steel Face, Tungsten Toe Weight and internal pocket for enhanced ball speed and ease of use without the added bulk or offset of typical game improvement long irons.

[h=3]Key Features:[/h]
  • 1770 Maraging Steel Face: An extremely strong steel allows for a thin, hot face for higher initial ball speed and overall distance
  • Satin Nickel Chrome Finish: An elegant, yet durable non-glare finish
  • Tungsten Toe Weighting: High density Tungsten mass concentrated low and toe side increases launch and Sweet Area
FlIHI-L.jpg

MSRP $599 for full set of 3-6

MP-18 MMC Irons

The Multi Material Construction stems from a three-year project between our R&D team and our legendary forging house to address the demands of the modern player. The highly stable, forgiving multi-metal construction satisfies the needs of a large range of players. Through the strategic use of lightweight titanium and heavier tungsten parts sealed within its 1025E mild carbon steel head MP-18 MMC provides workability, control, piercing ball flight, and forgiveness while maintaining a similar ‘tour-ready’ profile and size to the MP-18 SC.

[h=3]Key Features:[/h]
  • 1025E Pure Select: Six times tighter tolerance than industry standard for greater purity
  • Satin Nickel Chrome Finish: An elegant, yet durable non-glare finish
  • Forged Titanium Muscle: Titanium forged directly into carbon steel body allows for redistribution of discretionary weight for increased forgiveness
  • Tungsten Toe Weighting: High density Tungsten mass concentrated low and toe side increases launch and Sweet Area
MMC-L.jpg

MSRP for 4-PW $1,049

In Hand Pics

MP18_-XL.jpg

MP18_-3-XL.jpg

MP18_-12-XL.jpg

MP18_-16-XL.jpg

MP18_-17-XL.jpg

MP18_-4-XL.jpg

MP18_-8-XL.jpg

MP18_-11-XL.jpg

MP18_-10-XL.jpg

MP18_-27-XL.jpg

• Staff
Will throw this one in here too because I love this shot.

MP18_-22-XL.jpg

• Staff
For those wondering on Shaft. Nippon Modus Tour 105

MP18_-13-XL.jpg

Very good looking irons. I really like this line Mizuno put out.

Nice pics! I haven't really looked at or hit the Fli-Hi or MMC, but Mizuno is very high on my radar for 2018

Beautiful clubs. Looking forward to learning more about this line.

• Staff
yeah the Fli Hi are interesting, I have them in the 3 and 4. Really wish I had them in the 5 and probably even the 6. Really nice profile to them. You can see a bit of the trailing edge at address, but nothing crazy, nothing that would make someone think they are playing a big SGI club.

Love the look on these even though I could do w/o the tungsten badge area.

Danny Le hit these this weekend at Shaft Up. He was money. Said he loves them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah the Fli Hi are interesting, I have them in the 3 and 4. Really wish I had them in the 5 and probably even the 6. Really nice profile to them. You can see a bit of the trailing edge at address, but nothing crazy, nothing that would make someone think they are playing a big SGI club.

No, they blend seamlessly into the SC's as well. I've got the 5/6 and they are fantastic.

Here is the 5/6 into the 7i SC and PW MB.

b823954eb76921ebd18419f19b514f76.jpg

Here is the 5/6 into the 7i SC and PW MB.

b823954eb76921ebd18419f19b514f76.jpg

they certainly did a nice job of blending things together. Heading in to this, I get the point that the MMC is the high tech version of these, but I don't know how much more someone will get from it than they would the SC. Hopefully I can find an SC iron that I can test against on the monitor. I'm also curious on these vs the 900 Forged I have. To my eye, I was hitting this 7 iron a bit higher, and I won't lie, I thought it recaptured more of that Mizuno feel that I thought the 900's lacked.

they certainly did a nice job of blending things together. Heading in to this, I get the point that the MMC is the high tech version of these, but I don't know how much more someone will get from it than they would the SC. Hopefully I can find an SC iron that I can test against on the monitor. I'm also curious on these vs the 900 Forged I have. To my eye, I was hitting this 7 iron a bit higher, and I won't lie, I thought it recaptured more of that Mizuno feel that I thought the 900's lacked.

Definitely agree on the feel, these are 100% classic Mizuno as opposed to the JPX line that sometimes (well, a lot of the time) doooooesn't quite capture that.

Between this thread and Jman's comments on these, and am foaming at the mouth to get a mixed set of these irons in the bag. My (see if I get along with mizuno) test of MP-59s is looking like it will be a brief affair....

Definitely agree on the feel, these are 100% classic Mizuno as opposed to the JPX line that sometimes (well, a lot of the time) doooooesn't quite capture that.

That's really good to hear. I briefly played the 900 Forged this year and was really disappointed by the feel. After years of hearing about that special Mizuno feel it was a letdown.

That's really good to hear. I briefly played the 900 Forged this year and was really disappointed by the feel. After years of hearing about that special Mizuno feel it was a letdown.

yeah, they just weren't there. I don't know if the Tour was or not, but the 900 Forged just lacked it. Actually I liked the way the Hot Metal felt over the Forged, which I know is just blasphemy

They even did a shockingly good job blending the Fli-Hi into the SC/MB for feel. Its not the same, but there is a solidness and fullness there that is surprising.

They even did a shockingly good job blending the Fli-Hi into the SC/MB for feel. Its not the same, but there is a solidness and fullness there that is surprising.

I agree, can't get over how smooth and "mizuno-like" the Fli-Hi's felt. They actually felt softer than the SCs to me.

SOme sweet looking irons, nice pics!

Will be following this thread very closely, since a combo Fli Hi/mmc set is my number one ponder of the season. In the meantime, however, I just want to say that those pix in the OP are gorgeous ...well done!!!

Is the logical place to break the set from MMC to SC between the 7 and the 8 iron since that's where the tungsten stops in the MMC? In terms of forgiveness do you think the MMC 8 iron with titanium only offers up that much more forgiveness than the SC?

Is the logical place to break the set from MMC to SC between the 7 and the 8 iron since that's where the tungsten stops in the MMC? In terms of forgiveness do you think the MMC 8 iron with titanium only offers up that much more forgiveness than the SC?

I would think where the tungsten stops is a great spot to split the set if one chooses to between these and the SC. I have not hit the SC in the low irons, and still have plenty of work to get done on these, but I would guess there isn't going to be a massive jump in forgiveness from the 8 in the MMC to the 8 in the SC.

Those are some great pictures. I haven't seen these in person yet but the pictures make me want to check them out. Hearing that the feel has been improved makes me want to give them some swings.

I went straight from Fli-Hi to SC and at first, I was worried about not having an MMC in there as a stop-gap, but, it flows seamlessly. I simply had the Fli-Hi's bent 1* weak to shore up the gaps a little.

I'm actually kind of wishing I'd gone 4 Fli-Hi too. Which is crazy for me to say. They honestly take "utility" type irons and turn the concept on its ear, launch for daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaays.

Back