Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

My GBB arrived this afternoon from Callaway. Hitting the course tomorrow.

Today, I got to try the GBB for the first time and I was very impressed. I tried it with the Kuro Kage Tini 50g Reg flex. I thought it would be a bad fit because I tend to prefer heavier and stiffer shafts, but that thing just wanted to go long a and straight. I had previously tried the Kuro Kage black (non Tini) in the Nike Covert and did not like it at all. My first question to those in the know: what is the difference between the 2 shafts?
Secondly, like many have said, I saw an increase in swing speed over most driver that I have tried. Has anyone have any idea why this is happening?
Overall, this driver is a home run for Callaway, however, the price is a bit steep for my wallet.

I played today and was comparing the GBB vs the 816 DBD. The GBB is very forgiving and definitely spins significant more than the 816DBD. I think the GBB will stay in the bag for the foreseeable future.

I played today and was comparing the GBB vs the 816 DBD. The GBB is very forgiving and definitely spins significant more than the 816DBD. I think the GBB will stay in the bag for the foreseeable future.
You had one BOMB with 816 but GBB definitely more consistent. It's a good fit :)

Speaking of GBB, I'll be plugging in a Fujikura speeder 757 evolution into it. Ordered a stiff flex which I'll tip half inch and play it at 45.5"

Did the GBB challenge at my local golf store and added 4 yards.

I don't think I'll beat the guy who added 86.

Did the GBB challenge at my local golf store and added 4 yards.

I don't think I'll beat the guy who added 86.
Must of been someone hitting persimmon lol

Must of been someone hitting persimmon lol

The store was giving away 4 dozen balls for biggest gains in yardage and the store was in Sun City so I chalked it up to a lying cheating retiree.

The store was giving away 4 dozen balls for biggest gains in yardage and the store was in Sun City so I chalked it up to a lying cheating retiree.
Haha most likely. "Oh all of the sudden my back feels just fine"

Took my GBB out to the course today for the first time. Very pleased with the way this club feels and sounds. So easy to hit and very forgiving. Gained about 10 yards (avg) from my gamer (Ping G30 SF Tec). After the first day, looks this club has found a new place in my bag. I started out with the Kuro Kage shaft and mid way changed and tried the Speeder 665 Evolution II shaft. For me and my swing, I prefer the Kuro Kage. It just felt better and I had much better results. If you are debating whether to get one of these, all I can say is GET IT and I don't think you would be disappointed one bit. It's a Great feeling driver with the forgiveness we all need.

Just a quick review of my experience of GBB. I ordered one with the Kuro Kage 50X 9 degree head. I also have a 816DBD that I won during GBB week. I have had a chance to hit both and I really love the forgiveness of the GBB over the 816 DBD. I have been playing well recently my handicap is trending around +1.8. My preferred ball flight is right to left (draw) and don't want to have to work hard to hit it. I have a very smooth transition and prefer a lighter feeling club.

The feel and looks of this driver is exactly what I want for a driver. To me it has a soft but explosive feel coming off the face on good strikes. The face depth to me is perfect not to deep but not to shallow. Color of the crown is subtle perfection.

As for performance this is where this club shines to me. I am a low spin player because of mine inside out and positive angle of attack (3-6). This really is struggle for me when I get into low spin models like the SLDR, 816DBD, and etc. Slight toe hits my spin will fall below 1500 and lead to balls that just fall out of the sky. The GBB allows the ball to stay in the air on these toe hits and really performs for me. Is it the longest driver I have ever hit no. The 81DBD on perfect strikes provide me with some absolute bombs. If my club head speed was 115-120 range I would probably be playing it. But the GBB allows my 105-112 clubhead speed to perform at the highest level on all of my drives good and bad. I played a courses yesterday that I was constantly five to seven yards past where I normally was. Had to drives where I was 15 yards pass my longest drives. It was really a good day (seven birdies and 4 bogeys). The driver kept me in play all day and if I didn't get to aggressive on three iron shots I was looking at tremendous round.

Comparison: The last driver that I really loved was the Ping G30. I played that club for about a year because I felt I was able to keep it in play on my bad rounds. The GBB is a better feeling G30 to me. The composite crown and sliding weight allows me to fine tune the driver to my liking. Have mine set all the way to fade and -1 N.

Took my GBB out to the course today for the first time. Very pleased with the way this club feels and sounds. So easy to hit and very forgiving. Gained about 10 yards (avg) from my gamer (Ping G30 SF Tec). After the first day, looks this club has found a new place in my bag. I started out with the Kuro Kage shaft and mid way changed and tried the Speeder 665 Evolution II shaft. For me and my swing, I prefer the Kuro Kage. It just felt better and I had much better results. If you are debating whether to get one of these, all I can say is GET IT and I don't think you would be disappointed one bit. It's a Great feeling driver with the forgiveness we all need.

What combo in the SF Tec were you gaming ? Loft , shaft and flex and what flex in the GBB ?

I tried them both on the course:
SF Tec 10* set to 11* Tour 65 R and GBB 10.5 Speeder 565 S set to draw, and they were about equal. GBB had a higher launch so on uphill holes it was about 5 yds longer. But on level and downhill holes they were about even. Maybe a touch longer with the SF Tec. Longest of the day was SF Tec at 260. GBB peaked at 245

What combo in the SF Tec were you gaming ? Loft , shaft and flex and what flex in the GBB ?

I tried them both on the course:
SF Tec 10* set to 11* Tour 65 R and GBB 10.5 Speeder 565 S set to draw, and they were about equal. GBB had a higher launch so on uphill holes it was about 5 yds longer. But on level and downhill holes they were about even. Maybe a touch longer with the SF Tec. Longest of the day was SF Tec at 260. GBB peaked at 245

With the SF Tec I had a 12* that was set and playing at 11*. I was using the Tour 65 Regular flex shaft. In the GBB, I have the 10.5* set at Standard/Neutral and the shaft is the KK in regular flex. The draw/fade setting on the back of the GBB is currently set 1 line towards draw from center. I'll be tinkering with that setting in the next few rounds but I was loving the ball flight from yesterday's round.

Played this off the tee most of the day. Swing was on the long side today and did t make many center face hits. Had several off the heel and was pleasantly surprised they were nothing more than a little baby fade and still got out there further than expected. Hit two with open club face that were big high pushes. One flew a lot further than I anticipated and again pleasantly surprised with the results. The couple I caught on or close to center went along the intended line and had a nice mid-high flight.

the forgiveness with this driver is just amazing and produces good results on bad hits.

Didn't want to hit this club, definitely didn't want to like it as I already have two solid drivers with my D200 and G30. Met up with Jim at Golfsmith and the first three swings were a solid 20 yards longer than after hitting my D200. Felt awesome too. Can't spend that much money on a club but I'd love to play one of these

Played this on 12 holes today and hit 9 fairways and was getting some really good distance. More importantly was that my swing was a bit off and while I was squaring the club head, I was finding the heel side of the driver (probably a half inch from center) and with virtually no penalty of carry distance.

What loft are u playing it? Did u find you had to loft up at all?

Some swings on the range with speeder 757 evo... I'm in love
e643a21122f2ee13a24e14a8d03a8e5b.jpg
394f936044293337043e797ff592b3cc.jpg
ae1f54ff48ac949d470d33467321d1a4.jpg
9627dd91664897876bce69f5b94d067c.jpg

Good! Now put it in the bag and RUN WITH IT.

This head is a good head for you. Good numbers, AND a shatload of forgiveness.

Good! Now put it in the bag and RUN WITH IT.

This head is a good head for you. Good numbers, AND a shatload of forgiveness.
Done :)

Hit the 10.5 in full slice correcty configuration and was, for me, murdering the ball. I will 100% be adding this to the bag in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well hello there GBB. We will meet again soon!

Hit this on the range at Cog Hill with the Speeder shaft and i really loved the feel and ball flight. Very forgiving on misses which will be great for me. I may be trying to get my hands on one of these before December

Hit this on the range at Cog Hill with the Speeder shaft and i really loved the feel and ball flight. Very forgiving on misses which will be great for me. I may be trying to get my hands on one of these before December

It will be a weapon for you.

And that makes me happy on multiple levels.

I mean... You did have a bet...

this driver will be good in your hands. Speeder is a solid shaft but I think you make like the rogue, but seeing what you do with the tour green could be a nice combo and a good looking one too. Great thing is the fitting you get in a few months from the experts will have you dialed in like a beast

9* head secured and will be in at later this week for a range session. I'm looking forward to seeing the comparison to my current BBA815

Back