Iron shaft weight range, what is yours?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What weight range do you prefer in your irons? Why? Have you tried others?

• Staff
I've found my sweet-spot to be in the 115g range. I have played lighter long-term (85g) and heavier (130g) but the 115g range really seems to let me maximize several things in my swing from tempo, to speed, and so on.

I prefer something in the 110-120 gram range. I have played the Tour 90s before, but I prefer the heavier shaft. Currently I am playing 110 recoils and Callaway got the swingweight up to D4 so I can really feel the club. Shaft weight has never been an issue for me, I just prefer to be able to feel the club throughout my entire swing.

< 100. Anything over that just feels super heavy to me.

I *think" my preference is in the 100-110g range having played that in Recoils, CTL's, and PXi's. With all that said, I've also gamed the stock graphite in the Altitudes without issue and those were less than 65g IIRC.

I've swung heavier shafts than 110 but can definitely tell of something getting too heavy for me.

Im still getting used to the 120g shafts i have. Before that theyve all been sub 100g so this is a big jump for me but i like what it has done for my swing tempo

I like to be in the 115-120g range. Have swung lighter and heavier, but have found that this is the perfect spot for me.

I'm going to say 100-120 grams. I do know that I like the Tour V110's in my XR Pro irons much better than the Tour V90's. My tempo is on the quick side and lighter iron shafts are not as accurate for me.

Graphite between 85 and 100. I have enjoyed playing the Matrix Programs and Kuro Kage shafts over all the rest I have played. I have tried many different options in both steel and graphite in a variety of weight ranges.

I like the feel of something a little heavier, say 110 to 120. I really didn't like the light 85ish shafts, not that they were giving me terrible results or anything but heavier just felt better to me. Idk I guess more solid in a way. If that makes sense haha

The 110-120g range seems to work well for me. That's what the Mizuno optimizer puts me in, and I've had success with clubs I've tried there. That said, I'm interested in going lighter to save on wear and tear. My last experiment w/ 95g shafts didn't go well, but part of that was a swingweight issue I think - the whole set was D0.

110-120 for now, though always subject to change. i've tried as light as 95 and didn't like it. i'm not a fast swinger by any means.

In my KBS Tours I was 120g and in my current gamer DG Pros I'm 118-122g

I haven't tried others that's what I've been fit into in my last couple of fittings.

Should have made this one a poll too. Some interesting ranges so far.

Sub 100 for me but I think I need to experiment with something in the 110 range

Me likey 110 grams alot. I think it's a sweet spot for feel and control with my swing. I have tried 90 gram and I don't like it, and I see no reason or benefit to 130 gram shafts anymore.

Have been playing weights in the 95 range for about the last 6 years. Would like to experiment in the 110 range one day as I have that weight in my wedges and really like it in those.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

What weight range do you prefer in your irons? Why? Have you tried others?

I'm thinking somewhere between 110 and 125. I used to adore 128 in the S300 but I like having something a touch lighter.

I've tried the ultra light steel and it just doesn't work well for my tempo I guess. I can hit it relatively consistently, but it doesn't seem ideal.

I'm thinking somewhere between 110 and 125. I used to adore 128 in the S300 but I like having something a touch lighter.

I've tried the ultra light steel and it just doesn't work well for my tempo I guess. I can hit it relatively consistently, but it doesn't seem ideal.

I don't have anything resembling your swing, but this is is what I've found with the 90g shafts - I need to focus a bit more on a smoother swing to be as consistent as I am with a slightly heavier club.

have tried everything from 85 to 130.
At this stage of my life 110 is the weight I like

130. I tried a little lighter in DG Pro's and played worse, then tried a few grams lighter in Recoil 125 F4's and became even less consistent. I recently switched back to 130 grams and feel like I found what I lost.

Steel 100gr
Graphite 75-85

Getting older and usually anything heavier in either, usually fits a stronger player (ie: physically stronger and higher swing speed)

I am comfortable in the110-120 range. I have tried some in the 95 range and didn't see any ill affects. I wouldn't mind spending time with the 95g shafts and seeing it's long term affects good or bad

I have a smooth transition and I've found the lighter shafts help me generate club head speed. I like anything 85-110 in my recoils.

From what I have seen, I prefer something around 110-120. I have 120 in my irons now, and while I like that weight a lot more than the 90-95g shafts I've had before, I always seem to really get along with shafts closer towards 110 a tad better. Not sure if this is due to the actual weight, or more so how those shafts are made. I'll be honest, I know almost nothing about swing weight, so that probably has more to do with it.

Back