What stats do you strive for?

c0ncept

SFT
Reaction score
Handicap
Life
So with all of the number threads coming up recently I was curious what numbers people are hoping to achieve and which ones are important to them. I am a stats buff which can be great and horrible at the same time. I track FIRs GIRs and Putts along with a few others but I wanted to see just how much those stats matter when looking at the PGA Tour. I have goals for the FIRs (70%+) I want to average as well as the GIRs (65%+). What would your realistic goals be?

On tour the top 50 FIRs range from 65%-77%
From there here were the interesting stats for me:

GIRs from fairway top 50 range from: 79-85%
GIRs from places other than fairway top 50 range from: 53-62%
Putting ranged from 1.75-1.7 putts

The FIR percentage was lower than I expected especially given that the rate of GIRs from off the short grass drops so heavily.

So I am curious. What are your realistic goals for stats?

I'm more concerned about GIR and Putting stats than anything. I need to get those both better. I haven't really thought about a specific goal, but I'd say I'd like to be 60% or better on GIRs and putts really just eliminate the 3 putts.

I have a pretty good FIR% on the courses I usually play buy I'd really like to improve my GIR% by a lot. These are my numbers from the last 23 rounds:

FIR 77.3%
GIR 52.2%

For me, I'd like to have putts somewhere around 30/round and get my GIR up to 50% or so. Then I'd surely look to improve further, but if I improved those two things to those levels I'd drop a bucket of strokes.

FIR's and proximity to the hole from 100 and in. I realize that this is only a guess on my part but that is where you score. And putts of course probably the most important of all.

The pros are somewhere in the 1.6 to 1.7 range of putts per hole so for me I wouldnt mind being south of 2.

I'd like

FIR >= 64% (this would be a 20% improvement)
GIR >= 65% - because my short game sucks (40% improvement) - taking beaver tails with my gap wedge does not help my cause.
Putting - this needs to improve - I'd like to average 1.9 per GIR (a 0.5 stroke improvement)
Sand Saves 35%

If I can do this, I will play with a single digit HC.

I need to play more -- this year was a bad year for me. Injuries and no enough playing or practice. Next year.

I play on a course with narrow fairways and pretty small greens. Do not keep stats other than score as the FIR and GIR would be pretty depressing. I am not a long enough hitter to get away with not hitting driver to try to keep it in the fairway on most par 4's and 5's. The putts per hole number I can certainly hit because of the several just off the green, pretty easy up and downs that go with smaller greens. If I played courses with the size of greens that the pros play, my GIR and putts per hole would certainly go up.

I would like to strive for the FIR's first...still trying to get consistent during my teeshots

I usually track # of putts, FIR and GIR. Right now I am at 49.3% FIR, 26.4% GIR and 2.06 putts. Right now focusing on getting the GIRs up to the high 30's.

All I worry about it FIR and #of putts. Those two stats for me go along way in determining how successful a round was

Stats geek here: Currently for the year I sit at right at 58% FIR, 41% GIR, 1.8 putts per round, and 26% scramble. Those are the the four stats I think are most key to me playing well. I don't really compare myself to the PGA Tour, especially with putting. 1.8 sounds decent but I miss a lot more greens than they do.

I'm actually at 65% fairway with my XR Driver, through 65 recorded rounds (some are 9 hole rounds). I think that's pretty stout for an amateur, slow swing speed for the win, so don't ask me about distance. :alien:

Would love to get GIR up to 50%, putts down to 1.6 or 1.5, and scramble up to 30%. Figure I'd drop my index 3 to 4 shots with those stats.

Hotting fairways is important stat for me.

This year, I'm at 38.2% FIR, 34.5% GIR, and 32.8 putts per round. I'd love to get above 50% on FIR and GIR, and under 32 putts per round.

I just pulled up all of my stats over my last 20 rounds and here is what I came up with:
FIR-70%, GIR-68.7%, PPR-28 and PPH-1.6. The one stat that really hurts me is my Par 3 performance. I average under par on 4's and 5's but the 3's seem to eat me up.

My goals would be:

50% Fairways
50% GIRs
30 putts or less round
40% up/down conversion

I think the last 2 are the most lofty, but when I am swinging well I can get close on the top 2. Just more time at the range/practice area to get better in all of them.

FIR, GIR, and putts. Always aiming to keep my FIR over 50%, my GIR over 33%, and my putts under 1.8 per hole.

Haven't gotten there yet.

I look at GIR, putts and up/down. Short game is where I have improved my scores and will keep focusing on these areas.

I haven't kept any stats since I got back to golf from a long lay off for medical reasons...

I used to keep some but sometimes they can be misleading...you can miss a lot of greens close and your putting numbers can go down because you can chip and pitch closer and you will have very very few if any 3 putts..of coarse your GIR will go down...

champion, first or second runner-up of my handicap level in a tournament. collector of bets. whatever it takes.

My biggest is GIR, that let's me know I'm doing something right to get there in regulation. FW is extremely misleading in that you could hit just as many good drives into the first cut and have them not count as popups or burners that make the short stuff. Putts and scrambling are telling too.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

The numbers I care about.
Fir would like to be over 70%
Gir would like to be over 65%
Score I would like to consistently under 80.

GIR for me. This leads to less putts most of the time.

For me it's GIR , fairways I can always get it back in play easily. Make it on the green and give myself a chance to shoot low.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm working toward 3 main stats goals for my game:

1 - FWs hit 64-71% - 9/10 (this is my normal range)
2 - GIR 66-72% = 12/13 (VERY hard to do right now, irons are not where I want them)
3 - 50% up & downs (getting better here - can get there on my good days but the others are less than stellar)

Putting is obviously a part of #3, but been working hard the past year on the chipping/pitching and it's starting to come around now

Back