Is there a proper grip?

caseyrc

Reaction score
Handicap
The last couple videos I've watched I've seen players interlock their right pinky with their left index finger ( best way I can describe it ). Is there a proper way to grip? I just keep my right hand over top of my left with my left thumb in the palm of my right hand. Personal preference I assume but I was curious if there is any benefits to the other grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subjective I'd say. I was taught the interlocking grip when I was a kid (soon to be 54) so there is no changing mine, but I play with some players much better than me that overlap and some that interlock.

No doubt Freddie can add some additional thoughts.

No, the same as there isn't a PROPER swing.

There's no real difference between the major three: interlock, overlap (Varden) or baseball (10-finger). Whichever one is most comfortable will work fine.

That said, there are certain fundamentals which need to be in any grip, such as having the club in the fingers rather than the palms, making sure your grip is not excessively strong or weak, making sure your wrists can hinge, etc. If you post some pictures of your grip, Freddie can advise you on how solid it is and if it needs any changes.

There is fundamentallysound grip that most golfers can use. It's an overlap (pinky overy left index finger) there are also fundamentals in the golf swing. Swings look different but good swing have the same fundamentals.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try the interlocking grip the next time I go hit a bucket but I think it's going to feel very awkward so I may go back to what I'm used to.

There is fundamentallysound grip that most golfers can use. It's an overlap (pinky overy left index finger) there are also fundamentals in the golf swing. Swings look different but good swing have the same fundamentals.

Tiger, Jordan, I believe Rors all you and interlock and play pretty well(talking Tiger pre 2009). Is there any detriment to playing interlock? Is there something interlocked should look for when using this style?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to try the interlocking grip the next time I go hit a bucket but I think it's going to feel very awkward so I may go back to what I'm used to.

This is why I prefer the overlap. The locking of the fingers can feel very constricted at first. But please work on what will work for you. Just know that this is a big switch and will come with a healthy learning curve

Tiger, Jordan, I believe Rors all you and interlock and play pretty well(talking Tiger pre 2009). Is there any detriment to playing interlock? Is there something interlocked should look for when using this style?
It's really completely up to the golfer. Those three had early coaching that promoted interloc. It used to be the gold standard. Then overlap and soon the faised out 10 finger.

I say it's up to the golfer because most start late and do it on their own. If I were teaching a new student I would push toward over lap

This is why I prefer the overlap. The locking of the fingers can feel very constricted at first. But please work on what will work for you. Just know that this is a big switch and will come with a healthy learning curve

I don't foresee it being but a few swings before I go back to the overlap. I'm relieved to hear that it's the golfers choice lol.

It's really completely up to the golfer. Those three had early coaching that promoted interloc. It used to be the gold standard. Then overlap and soon the faised out 10 finger.

I say it's up to the golfer because most start late and do it on their own. If I were teaching a new student I would push toward over lap
At what point would you encourage a child to adopt a proper grip?

I remember being at golf camp about 20ish years ago and a true internet golfer (before the net) told the college coach who was trying to give us grip instructions that that he "had been using 10 finger his entire career". The coach responded "Have you beaten Jack's major record yet? If not, then maybe you should listen to me a little." We were all young teens, if that old, so there was still time to make a change and have it stick. Kid had a baseball swing as I remember.

I'm an interlocker myself. He left mine alone.

I think there is no " Proper" grip among the 3 overlap interlock ten finger. As long as how you are holding it is sounds in fingers and such I see it makes almost zero difference on if your pinky is mover a half a inch this way or that. Use what will help you hold the club the right way and comfortable that you are able to repeat everytime you hold a club. If you you are always uncomfortable as soon as you grab a club there is much more of a chance of you not feeling comfortable with your swing from the get go. From Hogan to Norman to Tiger to Fryck to tommy two gloves they are all different and all have made more money playing golf then I will.

I seem to recall reading many years ago that in terms of "wristiness", going from least to most it would be interlocking, overlapping, 10-finger (baseball) grip.

Interlock hurts my right ring finger pretty bad after a round or range session, so I go with overlapping.

I showed my 8 year old all 3 grip styles when he first started golfing (almost 2 years ago). I told him to hit some balls with each and pick what felt best or most comfortable to him and he ended up choosing the interlock grip.

When I first started to play golf I used the interlock..Then some time later I went to the overlap grip...Since then I've learned that the overlap grip needs to be monitored because it can get slowly out of place without you knowing about it...The interlock grip stays put...
I still have the overlap grip because it feels better to me...but there's a lot of good players that use the interlock...

Back