"Tell us something Good"

T2GRN18

Reaction score
Handicap
Listening to the radio this morning, the have a section called "Tell me something good". Which I thought was pretty cool. With all the negativity in the media it was 30 seconds of feel good news in a way.

Today's clip was about a police officer in Chicago who was eating lunch at Chipotle. He noticed a homeless man picking the garbage. Knocked on the window, asked if the man was hungry, then invited him in and bought the man lunch.

Good stuff!

Feel free to share your story or stories you've heard.

Local Police Officers took a young girl to a Daddy Daughter dance here locally. Her father was killed in the line of duty several years ago and this was her first one. They heard about it stepped in as her date and danced with her all night.

Its good to to see that they are still looking out for that officers daughter.

JM

There were two cases last week at my old department of citizens coming to an officer in needs help. The first was a traffic deputy who was caught off guard and knocked to the ground, and was then grappling with the suspect. 3 civilians joined the fight, then helped the officer chase and apprehend the suspect.

In the second a detention deputy was punched repeatedly in the face by and inmate, another inmate came to the deputies aid in fighting off the suspect until other deputies arrived.

Local policeman on the news this morning handing out citations to kids for doing the right thing. If he sees a kid wearing a helmet while on a bike, the kid gets a citation that includes a free ice cream cone at a local place. Other citations included a kid holding his mother's hand while crossing the street, a kid opening a door for his mom. When the kids were interviewed by the news, they were really excited about meeting the police. The cop said it's a way to try to take away from some of the negativity the kids have seen in the recent news. Well done.

There was a local officer shot recently (and killed) while doing nothing but putting gas in his cruiser. Killer was arrested and no known links exist between him and the officer.

Few days later there was a female officer fueling her cruiser and a teenage boy went and stood by her while the tank was being filled bringing her "protection".

On a personal note, my kids went up and down the street asking neighbors this past weekend if they could place blue ribbon bows on their trees to show support for our officers. Also made 2 big poster board signs indicating that our street support the police and placed 1 at each end of the street.

There were two cases last week at my old department of citizens coming to an officer in needs help. The first was a traffic deputy who was caught off guard and knocked to the ground, and was then grappling with the suspect. 3 civilians joined the fight, then helped the officer chase and apprehend the suspect.

In the second a detention deputy was punched repeatedly in the face by and inmate, another inmate came to the deputies aid in fighting off the suspect until other deputies arrived.

Question.

Is this free right to kick the S**T out of someone?

This is more of a personal story, but this past weekend I was grabbing Whataburger for the family and two Ft. Bend county Sherriff Deputies were in the drive thru behind me.

I paid for their order and asked the lady to thank them for all that they do. It was minor in the grand scheme of things, but felt good to do it.

Question.

Is this free right to kick the S**T out of someone?

For the deputy? Absolutely not, but I can tell you that now as a citizen, if I strolled up on a deputy needing assistance, I will not stop wailing until the officer instructs me to.

Actually the second instance shows just how much self control was used. The detention deputy ended up with a broken nose, and yet when the cavalry arrived, the bad guy didn't end up needing any medical attention. They apprehended him with obviously very little use of force, despite the fact that he had bloodied up their buddy.

For the deputy? Absolutely not, but I can tell you that now as a citizen, if I strolled up on a deputy needing assistance, I will not stop wailing until the officer instructs me to.

Actually the second instance shows just how much self control was used. The detention deputy ended up with a broken nose, and yet when the cavalry arrived, the bad guy didn't end up needing any medical attention. They apprehended him with obviously very little use of force, despite the fact that he had bloodied up their buddy.
Probably should have subdued the crap out of him.

A couple of weeks ago, a guy was threatening to jump off a bridge here in town and one cop was trying to talk him out of it and the other snuck up behind him and grabbed him before he could jump.

Here's the body cam video. Awesome stuff.

[video=youtube;RHK4op-QY4c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHK4op-QY4c[/video]

Local policeman on the news this morning handing out citations to kids for doing the right thing. If he sees a kid wearing a helmet while on a bike, the kid gets a citation that includes a free ice cream cone at a local place. Other citations included a kid holding his mother's hand while crossing the street, a kid opening a door for his mom. When the kids were interviewed by the news, they were really excited about meeting the police. The cop said it's a way to try to take away from some of the negativity the kids have seen in the recent news. Well done.
This is freaking brilliant.

Last weekend, I got in back into Indy in the early, early morning and was heading to a scramble tournament with Dawn. On the way I stopped in at McDonalds for coffee. Got to the window and the woman told me that the person in front of me had paid for my coffee. Wanting to pay it forward, I paid for the car's order behind me. After paying the woman smiled at me and told me a person had paid for the meal behind them and it had continued for over the last hour. She estimated that 40 cars had come through during that time and the fact that it had continued was putting a huge smile on her face.

Best $10 cup of coffee I have ever bought.

I had 2 parents last night at practice tell me their kids are having more fun this year than they did last year, that made me feel really good

My wife told me the other night that one of my 12 year old son's teachers had text her about something William did at school. The teacher said there was a new student in the 6th grade who was having a tough time as he didn't know anyone and was pretty much being left out. So they go to lunch and this new student is sitting all by himself. Well, my son, apparently, gets up from his seat by his friends and asks some people to go with him to sit with the new boy. None of the classmates want to. Well, William grabs his tray and goes and sits with the boy anyway. He stayed there with him the whole lunch.
I am so proud. The teacher even remarked in her text about how much she loves our son because of how he does stuff like this. Just an awesome text to get and I couldn't be more proud.

I love this thread, keep them coming

Tomorrow, it is important to remember watching those police officers and firefighters running into the buildings. Whenever, one sees a soldier, a firefighter or a police officer, one should thank them for their service to their country and their communities.

My wife told me the other night that one of my 12 year old son's teachers had text her about something William did at school. The teacher said there was a new student in the 6th grade who was having a tough time as he didn't know anyone and was pretty much being left out. So they go to lunch and this new student is sitting all by himself. Well, my son, apparently, gets up from his seat by his friends and asks some people to go with him to sit with the new boy. None of the classmates want to. Well, William grabs his tray and goes and sits with the boy anyway. He stayed there with him the whole lunch.
I am so proud. The teacher even remarked in her text about how much she loves our son because of how he does stuff like this. Just an awesome text to get and I couldn't be more proud.

Man, that is awesome! I moved a LOT when I was a kid, and it was tough ( although it probably helped me in the long run ) to be all alone at first. You are raising him the right way sir!

And you have every reason to be proud. Your son is going to be a leader, not a follower.

When I went to lunch today, their was an older ( probably 70's ) getting milk and a couple other items behind me. Now, I work in a financially depressed area, so I figured she was on a limited income. Plus she reminded me of my grandmother, whom after being deceased 15 years I still miss. I paid for my items, and told the cashier to ring the items the older lately had as well. Funny thing is the lady says "What are you doing"? in kind of a distressed voice. I told her I hit the scratch off in the morning ( which I hadn't ) and figured I would share the wealth! She thanked me profusely, and I carried the items out for her.

I guess the honest reality is that I did it as much for me as her - it always feels good to help someone! I guess I'll never understand the ignorance, selfishness and hatred of some people towards others.

On a personal level, I had a real bad kidney stone that wouldn't pass for 2 weeks. Thought I would have to get s Surgury again . Thankfully this morning I passed it

Inmediate relief. Than I went out and shot even par today with 11 putts

On a personal level, I had a real bad kidney stone that wouldn't pass for 2 weeks. Thought I would have to get s Surgury again . Thankfully this morning I passed it

Inmediate relief. Than I went out and shot even par today with 11 putts

Glad to hear you passed the stone and way to go on the even par round. I have passed a kidney stone, so I know what that is like. I have never shot an even par round, so I don't know what that is like, but I bet it feels darn good.

Glad to hear you passed the stone and way to go on the even par round. I have passed a kidney stone, so I know what that is like. I have never shot an even par round, so I don't know what that is like, but I bet it feels darn good.
This has been my 7 th one .. Had Surgury before and I was out of work for almost a week after. They are terrible and very hereditary I was told. Takes tons of water and cranberry juice , I just feel so relieved

as for even par . No biggie really , just a game and feel the same no matter what the score is. Just out enjoying what is left of the season

Never like to brag on myself but some time ago, I was in the grocery store and a much older lady was ahead of me. I only had a few things, and she only had a couple of dozen things, but when the cashier rang he stuff up, I handed her my credit card. The lady just didn't understand at first, but I told her it was as much for me as for her. She hugged me and we parted ways.

Just wish I had more to give.

BTW....Great move by the police man! Everyone needs a hand now and then.

Freaking amazing. Great job parenting ur child

Back