How many of you miss a green and instantly think bogie?

SaffaClint

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.3
I play with a lot of golfers with wildly varying handicaps. One thing I notice is how often players might miss a green and walking up to the ball start mumbling about bogie, "Might as well mark me down for a bogie" etc before they've even hit the shot. Man, you could chip it close and still make par, or you could get lucky and jar the birdie shot!
Golf is so much about positivity and I often think these people are setting themselves up to fail before they've even hit the shot.

Not at the beginning of a round. I think I can put anything close enough to one putt until my game that day tells me otherwise.

I always feel that I am in the hole. You HAVE to think positive with golf. If you don't it'll be a long round. Hell even if I blow my chip shot way past the whole I'm still thinking about dropping the par putt.

Not at all. I'm still thinking par every time, and depending on if it's good enough, walk up thinking a birdie chip is possible.

Not me. My wedge game around the green is one of my strengths

I tend to always think positive and think that I can get up and down. However there are those times when after seeing what's in front of you, bogey might be a good score to go after. But until I see that, I'm always thinking par.

I think bogie max. Focus on a good chip to give me a one putt par.

My wedge game is mediocre at best, yet I never automatically assume bogey if I miss the green with my approach.

Not me. I'm automatically assessing the situation to figure out how I can get up and down to save par if not make a birdie.

I used to but not anymore.

I'm thinking up and down for par and if the lie is good and the green reasonable between the ball and the hole I'm thinking about making it.

I've found two things about holing out from off the green. First, it only happens if you think about doing it. Second, when you practice it you find out that it happens more often than you think (for me somewhere between 5-10% of the time if the length is not too long). In my last 12 rounds I think I've had 4 hole outs.

I tee off on everyhole thinking birdie then par.

Doesn't bother me. I hit so few GIR that I get more pars scrambling than when I'm on in regulation. My short game is one of my strong points.

Nope, that's just an opportunity to chip in for birdie or close for a par

I tend to be pretty positive and confident in my short game unless I have a crazy crappy lie or something. I've drained enough 20+ footers go know that par is always an option until it isn't.

I always have in my mind, to get up and down. Sometimes it doesn't always go according to play. But once the thought creeps into the mind it's almost a sure thing

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm a bit guilty of this. I start thinking "no matter what, worse than bogey."

Admittedly, sometimes I just know when I'm in a tough situation. In that time, don't think that bogey is the best I can do with a missed GIR (given I'm greenside and not at the tee hitting 3), but rather it's the worst I can do. Plenty of times I've been able to chip it within 5 feet and nail the putt. It's all about positivity, otherwise you're just a self fulfilling prophecy.

Depends on where I miss it to.

Short sided behind a bunker then yeah I'll probably not really be thinking par, but with no trouble and some space to work with and I'm thinking get it close or put it in

I don't start considering bogey until after the results of my chip shot.

I am still at the stage where i think bogey is a good score. So if i am close to the green in regulation, that's a positive to me.

This year I have changed my approach when I miss a green. As I walk up to my ball I am thinking of my past shots that were similar where I either chipped in, or came very close. I replay that shot in my head several times to get that image of the ball going in/settling close. Positivity is key. My short game has improved dramatically this year and I honestly believe a big reason is because of that positive approach.

I usually think [expletive deleted]...

If I thought bogey every time I missed a green I would be thinking bogey a whole lot. I make far more pars getting up and down than from hitting GIRs. Not ideal but certainly manageable. Plus, how fun is a chip in or handy up and down?

with my chipping? and putting - bogey.

Back