Keeping score question.

Rusty Dave

#staffproto
Reaction score
Handicap
I was playing with a couple of guys today. I had a nasty blow up hole (par 4) and I took an 8. Their handicap was around mine (18) and they said that based on my HCP I just just score it as a triple bogey and not a snowman.
My assumption is that I log my actual score and when I enter it, the system will adjust my score based on my handicap right? I think the most I can get is a 7.
I have another friend who does the same as these 2 guys. Most he can "take" is a 6 based in his HCP, so if he's shooting 7 he just picks up the ball and marks down a six. He then tells me he shot an 81.
What's the proper procedure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me i right down exactly what i had and if the handicap system accesses it thats good, but i dont do it on the course. I know im probably wrong but i would think that is a type of cheating.
Just a scenario, if he was in a competition and he shot an 8 say would he just pick that up and wright a 7? If he did and won something by one shot how would that count. Thats just my thoughts on it.

your score is your score, the system will make any adjustments. if you shoot and 82 with a 8 then you shoot an 82, the system will adjust for your handicap.

I was playing with a couple of guys today. I had a nasty blow up hole (par 4) and I took an 8. Their handicap was around mine (18) and they said that based on my HCP I just just score it as a triple bogey and not a snowman.
My assumption is that I log my actual score and when I enter it, the system will adjust my score based on my handicap right? I think the most I can get is a 7.
I have another friend who does the same as these 2 guys. Most he can "take" is a 6 based in his HCP, so if he's shooting 7 he just picks up the ball and marks down a six. He then tells me he shot an 81.
What's the proper procedure?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your assumption is right. You shoot what you shoot. You can then either adjust your score or let the system do it when you enter it.

My understanding was that you write down the score you took....that is what counts for the round/competition/etc

You could end up with 2 different scores, but they are for completely different purposes - one is for the actual round score and the other is the adjusted score that is used to calculate any changes to your handicap

your score is your score, the system will make any adjustments. if you shoot and 82 with a 8 then you shoot an 82, the system will adjust for your handicap.

This right here for me. The only time I pick up and take max score on a blow up hole is if there is a pace of play issue where my group is holding someone up or we are starting to fall behind, otherwise the score is what the score is especially if there is any money on the line for stroke play, low net, etc

Whether the system will adjust for you depends on how your score is entered. If it is entered hole-by-hole, then generally the system will adjust for you. If you only enter your total score, then the system would have no way to adjust and you're expected to do the adjustment yourself.

I suppose that depends on your club. We enter our own scores, I don't bother with hole-by-hole. I mark what I got, then enter corrected score. I've entered 75 (adjusted) and told people I shot 82 (real world). That wasn't a happy day.

There are some who pick up, or just mark down the max after a blowup. That's fine too, but not "proper". The problem comes when someone's been scoring "computer doubles" all day and starts bragging about how he nipped some guy's real score by a stroke. I know the difference and can keep 2 sets of numbers in my head, so that isn't an issue for me.

Whether the system will adjust for you depends on how your score is entered. If it is entered hole-by-hole, then generally the system will adjust for you. If you only enter your total score, then the system would have no way to adjust and you're expected to do the adjustment yourself.

^^ exactly this.

You write what you shoot and let the system adjust it for ESC when you post it to your HDCP service.

You write what you shoot and let the system adjust it for ESC when you post it to your HDCP service.
Only if you enter scores hole by hole.

If you enter your scores as 'total scores' you need to make all the ESC adjustments yourself prior to entering it. Maybe that's just with the RCGA up here, but I thought it was USGA too.
If you don't, it's a form of sandbagging and is completely reprehensible.

I write down what I shoot. If it's a 10 or an 8, so be it. For me, since I play in several courses with several different groups, it's harder to live with a lower handicap. Especially if there's betting, the guys will put me down for whatever I will declare, so I better live up to a score close to my handicap, otherwise I won't hear the end of it. If my declared handicap is too low, I'll get grief for pretending to be something I'm not. If it's too high, I'll be accused of being a sandbagger. There's no win either way.

My understanding was that you write down the score you took....that is what counts for the round/competition/etc

You could end up with 2 different scores, but they are for completely different purposes - one is for the actual round score and the other is the adjusted score that is used to calculate any changes to your handicap

BINGO...or #1 Answer.

If you enter your scores as 'total scores' you need to make all the ESC adjustments yourself prior to entering it. Maybe that's just with the RCGA up here, but I thought it was USGA too.
If you don't, it's a form of sandbagging and is completely reprehensible.

I believe MSGA allows both ways, but I just enter adjusted ESC score.

Keeping score question.

I think that the OP should also tell his friend that there is no scenario that would dictate that he take a maximum of 6. If his friend's course handicap is under 10, then he can claim a double bogey (ie. 5, 6 or 7). There is no part of ESC that states you can take a max of 6 on all holes.

I think that the OP should also tell his friend that there is no scenario that would dictate that he take a maximum of 6. If his friend's course handicap is under 10, then he can claim a double bogey (ie. 5, 6 or 7). There is no part of ESC that states you can take a max of 6 on all holes.

Ah. I see that now under RCGA. Max he can take being a single HCP is a double bogey. Max for me at 18 HCP is a 7. Thx. Although I still put my true score in and let the system adjust it. Is it the same ESC rules for USGA?

Not for the USGA, maybe. Canada does it differently. We DO have max strokes for handicaps over 9, as below. 9 and under is double.

Course Handicap
Maximum Score
9 or less Handicap​
Double Bogey​
10 to 19 Handicap​
Maximum score of 7​
20 to 29 Handicap​
Maximum score of 8​
30 to 39 Handicap​
Maximum score of 9​
40 and Over Handicap​
Maximum score of 10​

I always keep my score, not my ESC score. Hell last weekend I shot an 85 with a 10 on a hole. That was brutal. It esc'd better in the system, but on my scorecard you will see a 10. Came extremely close to a hole in 1 on 17 that day. Would have been funny to have to save that scorecard

Only if you go online to do it. A ghin app won't, you have to make corrections yourself

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ah. I see that now under RCGA. Max he can take being a single HCP is a double bogey. Max for me at 18 HCP is a 7. Thx. Although I still put my true score in and let the system adjust it. Is it the same ESC rules for USGA?

Just make sure that you are using your course handicap, not your true personal handicap.

Not for the USGA, maybe. Canada does it differently. We DO have max strokes for handicaps over 9, as below. 9 and under is double.

Course Handicap
Maximum Score
9 or less Handicap​
Double Bogey​
10 to 19 Handicap​
Maximum score of 7​
20 to 29 Handicap​
Maximum score of 8​
30 to 39 Handicap​
Maximum score of 9​
40 and Over Handicap​
Maximum score of 10​

You are correct. I misspoke when I said 10 or below, I should have said 9 or below.

This ^^
If your buddy picks up, effectively not finishing the hole, it is scored "X/7", which means that the hole was not completed (X) but the ESC score is a 7 when adding up the number at the end of the round (assuming that is the max ESC based on a 10-19 handicap).

Friendly rounds I'll pick up & ESC it. I believe in keeping the game moving.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I try to play out holes for my own pride, then write down what I took and make a star by it. When I post I have to adjust for ESC (currently max of 7) because my online system doesn't allow for hole by hole entry, only total for 18.

Hopefully I am not taking any or many holes where this factors in, but in my opinion that is the proper way to do it.

When I have done guys weekends where we play games (gross/net for the entire trip) we always set a max for all players, regardless of handicap usually double par. Helps to keep things fair for all and keep pace of play up.

You score what you score. If you score a 14 on a hole you score a 14. However for reporting purposes, you can only mark down a certain number of strokes ... like for example my "maximum reported strokes" or ESC score would be 8. So many times if I'm playing a round, if I'm have a b**** of a time on a hole and reach my 8 and am nowhere near holing out I'll pick up and write down my score as X8 for the hole so as not to hold up play on the course. I know I'm supposed to hack it out, but then the foursome behind is not going to be too happy.

Say if you hit a tee shot that might be out of bounds, then hit your provisional out of bounds and decide not to play the hole, what do you write down? Your provisional would be your third shot if your original is OB. If you find your original in bounds but in a horrid lie like in the tall cabbage, and you decide not to play the hole you should probably take a X(Par+HC). If your original ball was OB and your provisional also OB, take X(ESC).

If you had one of these holes during your round, and someone asks you what you shot, what do you tell them? I tell them I shot the score with the ESC or pickup because that's the score I have, but mention it included one F-it hole.

You need to make all ESC adjustments before submitting your score. If you're unable to complete your round due to darkness or whatever reason, but were able to complete 13 holes (or 7 if 9 holes), you're supposed to mark the most likely score for the unfinished holes - my question here is should I include one blow up (ESC) hole? (I usually just report the first 9 but don't tell anyone).

If you play a hole and do not play by the ROG, the hole is to be marked as Par + HC for reporting purposes. - This is from the USGA Handicap manual. It prevents sandbagging.

Back