Bullying/Suicide Prevention Video Please Watch

ok, so now i don't know what to believe. there's some stuff floating around twitter and reddit that his mom posted a bunch of stuff with the confederate flag. and joe schilling posted a text exchange where someone claiming to be the mother said, "what about us whites sticking together?" then there's something else (no idea how to corroborate this) that keaton was using racial epithets toward his classmates, who retaliated and led to the video.

ok, so now i don't know what to believe. there's some stuff floating around twitter and reddit that his mom posted a bunch of stuff with the confederate flag. and joe schilling posted a text exchange where someone claiming to be the mother said, "what about us whites sticking together?" then there's something else (no idea how to corroborate this) that keaton was using racial epithets toward his classmates, who retaliated and led to the video.

wow.....i dont even know either..and im as confused as you are.

I am not going to watch the video, hits a little too close to home. I have generally been in the camp that poo-poohs bullying..boys will be boys and all that. Then one of my kids started having behavioral issues and we ultimately learned the poor kid had been quietly enduring bullying. "Ultimately" meaning he broke down crying one night after holding it all in for some time. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I've endured as a parent.

I don't know what's going on with the mom but in a way I don't care. The kid being bullied is where my head is at.

Just finally getting around to watching, this is great! Nicely done and such a great message and cause.

Just saw Amols post after I posted. if that IG DM exchange is for real, then this mother may be the worst thing since Susan White. Like you said Curtis, it's hard to know what to believe now days.

wow.....i dont even know either..and im as confused as you are.

There's now evidence that Joe Schilling was communicating with a fake IG profile, someone posing as Keaton's mother but may not actually be her.

https://thegrapevine.theroot.com/he-went-viral-because-of-bullying-but-keaton-jones-mot-1821184917

I tend to agree with this, kids becomes bullies and start bullying before they ever get their first social media accounts, just like they have forever. Social media gives them another avenue to bully when they are old enough and yes exacerbates, but social also lends itself to education and action when used by those who want to change the status quo.

I also agree with Army, it really does make me lose faith in humanity reading some of the comments of some of the posts on social media about bullying. It's sad...

Bullying has certainly been around for awhile and I think social media has absolutely exacerbated the issue. I was a victim of bullying when I was younger for a short amount of time. I say it was short, because I dealt with the problem. That said not every kid is that lucky and I will say there is absolutely no escape from it now. With cellphones and social media, any kid can be reached at anytime of the day. As a kid, when I left school that was the end of it as there was only one phone in house and my parents knew who was on it. I can't even imagine trying to monitor it now as a parent. With all of the social media outlets, it has to be crazy to keep track of.

Related to this but a bit OT. Following that thread on IG just shows me how out of touch I am with pop culture. I don't know who 3/4 of the céleberties are replying to him. I knew Anthony Rizzo?

Bullying has certainly been around for awhile and I think social media has absolutely exacerbated the issue. I was a victim of bullying when I was younger for a short amount of time. I say it was short, because I dealt with the problem. That said not every kid is that lucky and I will say there is absolutely no escape from it now. With cellphones and social media, any kid can be reached at anytime of the day. As a kid, when I left school that was the end of it as there was only one phone in house and my parents knew who was on it. I can't even imagine trying to monitor it now as a parent. With all of the social media outlets, it has to be crazy to keep track of.

That is the worst part about it now, kids can't get away from it they're "plugged in". We've had to deal with it over the years with my daughter and it's tough, sometimes they just need to unplug for a while. It's really just too much to keep up with every account at all times, but when it's your kid, you do everything you can.

Back