Question for members: Get gear, when to sign up again?

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Let me first say I’m not trying to hold myself out as some saint, or that everybody should do as I say. I’m only offering my perspective, and curious about other members’ opinions.

Let’s say you get into the Grandaddy. IMHO it’s the pinnacle of THP events. You get fit at ECPC into incredible, new gear. The year closes, and a new calendar year full of amazing THP events begins.

My question is this: Do you throw your name into the hat to participate in an event with new clubs?

I’m torn on this. My last THP event included a full set of amazing, really expensive irons 100% free. I happen to love the gear, and don’t want to change it any time soon. But I would love to experience another event with a different OEM, not for new gear but for the experience with other THP members, different courses, and access to the best and brightest in the industry.

But that’s not why the OEM sponsors an event. They want us to talk about and give feedback on the gear. That’s why I’m torn.

What do other members think? I’m genuinely curious, as I don’t personally believe there are any wrong answers here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jump in on the next event. Nothing stopping someone from playin and reviewing multiple pieces of equipment at the same time

There’s nothing wrong with getting new equipment, the bigger problem is when you stop giving feedback in the prior equipment’s thread.

Hell, if I see any thread that I was selected for testing with a question asked, I don’t care if it was 5 years ago. Answer it, what’s the worst that happens right?

If interested, toss your name into the hat. Not a damn thing wrong with that.

No, you should put into any event you think you would enjoy.

Just don't be a Richard and disappear post-event and not contribute to the review of the products. Companies sponsor events to get exposure, they didn't just decide to give away free **** because they are bored.

No, you should put into any event you think you would enjoy.

Just don't be a Richard and disappear post-event and not contribute to the review of the products. Companies sponsor events to get exposure, they didn't just decide to give away free **** because they are bored.
Or in line with that...dont get into an event...stick around and never provide reviews of the gear you were given

Or in line with that...dont get into an event...stick around and never provide reviews of the gear you were given

I’m not sure which one is worse to be honest. Both of them need to be taken behind a woodshed :/

Yeah, if you do put in for the other event (hypothetical), just continue to review both sets of clubs, even giving comparisons and such between the two. Answer questions and don’t disappear.

The Grandaddy trip hasn’t happened for me for another 10 days, but I’m fairly certain I’ll be going for an event or two next year.

As others have said, do your best to review the gear and help answer peoples’ questions. The fact that you care enough to ask the question probably means you care enough to do a good job with the reviews.

I have not been lucky enough to get into an event where receiving equipment was part of the event. I don't think there would be anything wrong with trying to get into another event where equipment was supplied if a person really wanted to attend that event and, like others have said, you were willing to review the newly acquired equipment in the appropriate thread and keep updating it and answering questions others may have.

The thing that chaps me is when someone is lucky enough to get into an event that supplies equipment then they just disappear from the forum after the event. I have seen it happen many, many times, including by someone I HAD developed a pretty close friendship with, since I have been part of the forum.

If you see an event you like and can handle multiple reviews of various items/clubs do it.

I’m of the thought that whoever the OEM, they deserve a certain level/time for the gear provided. Its up to the person to determine that time frame. It’s not right or wrong, just how I️ feel and my way of showing appreciation.

The only official THP event I was part of did not involve gear directly, so I can't speak from direct experience. I know there have been members here that have been lucky enough to be selected to attend multiple events that involve getting all new gear. I think that's awesome, and good for them. As long as you can continue to give honest feedback about all the different gear, then I say keep on entering and riding that hot hand!

Like others have mentioned, the only thing that chaps me is when people get gear and then disappear, or immediately sell the gear, or worst of all, go talk crap about the gear & event. As long as none of those are on your "to-do" list, then by all means, enter as much as you like.

I agree with everyone has said. If an event has your attention and your luck enough to get it go for it.

I feel it is very important to give back to THP as well as the OEM's who help make it happen to put effort into reviewing and answering questions about the gear you received.

I think you should sign up for anything you want to. Why not?

Sign up as often as you like. Just contribute what you can to the other threads. I hate when people disappear from the equipment thread or the forum all together after the event or even worse guys who sell the product after

I believe if you were honoured with the opportunity to join an event I would personally feel obligated to play and provide feedback on both the experience and the rewards. I would die to attend an event and would love to join any THP event even with no perks but unfortunately being in Canada the cost to travel just doesn't make the top of my family's priority list. I believe that when you sign-up knowing the rewards that there is an intrinsic expectation you would reciprocate. Anyway, my 2 cents.

I agree with most, keep signing up and give the best review you can. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that a large portion of the membership of THP got drawn to the site because of the incredible hands on reviews. It's what drew me in. I read my first review, joined the site, then got selected to my first event all in the matter of a few weeks. I think reviewing equipment is a privilege and some of the members here are experts for certain. I love to do reviews and hope to get better at it each time I try a new product. Personally I made several purchases based off of the reviews on this site. I say go for it and enjoy the experience.

I believe if you were honoured with the opportunity to join an event I would personally feel obligated to play and provide feedback on both the experience and the rewards. I would die to attend an event and would love to join any THP event even with no perks but unfortunately being in Canada the cost to travel just doesn't make the top of my family's priority list. I believe that when you sign-up knowing the rewards that there is an intrinsic expectation you would reciprocate. Anyway, my 2 cents.

Some events include airfare and I believe hotel. Other than timing I have no excuse.

For me, the upcoming Grandaddy trip has given me a bit different perspective. Allow me to preface this by saying I see no issues with anyone joining any event they think will provide them enjoyment so go for it.

For me personally, I don't think I will be signing up for anything coming up for an undetermined period of time that involves getting equipment. I'm getting an unbelievable opportunity that I didn't think was even possible prior to joining THP. So for me, I feel that I need to review the equipment for a period of time that does this event justice. I will target non club events as THP has a ton, and answer whatever questions I can about the gear I'm about to be fit for by some of the best in the business.

Review all gear you've received for the forum honestly (good or bad) and then after you've done the review period justice do whatever you want with the clubs.

Having been lucky to play in the Granddaddy I didn't enter any equipment events this year as I wanted to play those clubs I received for the whole season. Didn't do a great job though as I soon put 3 different clubs(same brand) that were simply a better fit.

I definitely want to make it to another THP event next year. Not necessarily for the gear but for the event.

I'm in the minority here, but I feel like I owe it to the forum, the OEM that provided the gear, and future hopeful participants to give a full long term review before moving on. If I don't hold up my end of the deal, forum members in the future may not get the same opportunities.

I'm not saying you can only review one piece of gear at a time, that's just what I'm comfortable with.

If you are comfortable taking more equipment and feel that you can genuinely review it then go for it, but if I was lucky enough to be fit at the Grandaddy like you use as your example, I wouldn't be playing any other clubs for at least a year but probably longer

Also, if the event included equipment, I would only be signing up if that equipment interested me, and that is not me saying that I wouldn't sign up to an event if it was an OEM that I haven't tried equipment from before, but there are certain events that hold no interest for me so I wouldn't sign up and potentially deprive someone of a spot who is genuinely interested - I may get shunned for this, but the Handcrafted Experience holds no interest with regard to visiting the site and rolling my own shaft as what guarantee do I have that it will work best with my current and any future clubhead it may be put in to?

I am in a similar position being even further away, so the only events I would be able to attend are those with the travel/hotel included as otherwise I am looking at the best part of £2,000 and that makes for a very expensive round of golf, even with any swag you might receive

to me a THP event is more about the experience than the gear, I would signe up for the next event if I could. like others said however, I would do as much as I can to offer feedback on both sets of clubs, and having another set on hand would just help for comparative reviews, which are often requested as well

Back