What do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

Misike

Live in the Present
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In preparation for #TheGrandaddy, I have a lesson scheduled for this Saturday morning. Goals for this lesson are to just get a second set of professional eyes on my swing, to see if there are any quick adjustments that can be made. I'm not looking for any major swing changes with this event being only two weeks away. This will be my first lesson ever. So, I'm also looking at it as a trial with this instructor. If things go well I like what I see, I'm going to commit to getting a series of lessons in the spring to start the golf season next year.

So my question to all of you that have had lessons (or not), what do you look for in a golf instructor/coach?

Friendly and personable.
Someone that wants to work on something with my swing.
Flexible time
Great practice facility.

I've been taking regular lessons for almost a year, and got lucky that my coach works well with me.

I think the biggest thing is communication--that they can explain things in a way you can understand and put into practice.

Someone that doesn't want to do a swing overhaul and knows how/can work with my swing and my physical capabilities.
Someone that doesn't use technology/numbers to teach
Ability to hit off grass

I look for:
-Someone who is friendly and personable
-Does not have a "one fix for all issues" mentality
-Will encourage what i am doing well
-Will not completely break me down and start all over
-Flexible time

First lesson ever 3 weeks before the big event? Yikes. My first and maybe only criteria would be that he listen to me when I tell him we are fine tuning to help me for an event in 3 weeks, not making big changes.

First lesson ever 3 weeks before the big event? Yikes. My first and maybe only criteria would be that he listen to me when I tell him we are fine tuning to help me for an event in 3 weeks, not making big changes.
I agree with ^ this. A lesson this early before an event could throw you off completely but hopefully minor changes will make something click mentally.

- I'd look for someone that listens to me and what I want to work on and won't try to mold me into his type of golfer.
- Like someone mentioned, have to practice on grass on not mats so a good practice facility.
- I like when they follow up each class with notes, so if they don't I would mention that because you're going to forget a lot of what they tell you.
- Communication is key - if you don't understand an analogy they are giving you ask for a different example, sometimes this helps things click better.
- Have fun, get to know your trainer, ask questions about his experience etc. Makes things easier and you're not so nervous so you can let that info sink in.

Good luck!

Oh yeah. That is the primary goal. Definitely no major changes. We talked for about 10 minutes on the phone, and went over this, and he's already on board.

Some good ideas in here, thanks for the input guys! I'll post a follow up tomorrow after the lesson.

My instructor is the bomb, I can't tell you how lucky I am to have found one that works so well with me. The biggest thing for me is that he changed VERY little in my first 3-4 lessons. Every time I'm there he presents what he wants me to do, and he stays with me until I'm comfortable on my own.

To answer your question more directly, golfers often gravitate towards either a quick fix or a complete overhaul - that's where the glory is. My coach has the vision to see the long term goal, but also the short term goals that will get me there.

It takes about 3 weeks to get any change to stick. I think it's a mistake and as an instructor I would have told you this. Instructors need to be up front as well as knowledgeable. Your first lesson is going to require more than a slight adjustments.

It takes about 3 weeks to get any change to stick. I think it's a mistake and as an instructor I would have told you this. Instructors need to be up front as well as knowledgeable. Your first lesson is going to require more than a slight adjustments.
I'm happy to see you post this. I think it is just too late to do this, too. We will end up in that terrible in between place where the changes haven't taken hold. That means swing thoughts are in our heads while we are playing, which is not a good thing.

He could be a fast learner and get this dialed in right away. I hope it works out or I hope if it doesn't he sticks with his current action until after the Grandaddy.
I'm happy to see you post this. I think it is just too late to do this, too. We will end up in that terrible in between place where the changes haven't taken hold. That means swing thoughts are in our heads while we are playing, which is not a good thing.

I have 2 requirements

1. Don't try to sell me clubs, teach me to hit the clubs I have (completely wrong fitted clubs are an exception)

2. I want them to be able to hit the shot they are asking me to hit, being a visual learner, I need an instructor than can show me what he's saying.

Someone who will work with your existing swing and not a wholesale swing change.

A few years ago, as a gift, my wife gave me a package for 3 golf lessons. The instructor at one time was listed in Golf Digest's top 100, he won the National Club Professional Championship one year. Obviously, he knew the golf swing, he was competent. But our personalities just did not fit. If was like a couple of classes in my college years, I just did not want to be there, but they were "core" courses. After the third lesson, I never went back.

Recently, this year, I started lessons again. This time, the personalities fit. Not only do I think my game is improving, but, more importantly I am enjoying the lessons. Beyond, the personal, there are other factors that I like. He operates out of what may be described as a large garage, where with the door opened you can hit to a range as opposed to a net. (This will accommodate some winter lessons.) Inside the garage, one hits off a mat, but we also go outside and hit off the grass. Inside the garage, he uses "Trackman". I told him those numbers will mean nothing to me, but he said its use was strictly for him-it confirms his observations. He also films much of the lesson. At the conclusion, of the lesson we watch the films, which gives me a visual perspective for his comments and instructions.

A few years ago, as a gift, my wife gave me a package for 3 golf lessons. The instructor at one time was listed in Golf Digest's top 100, he won the National Club Professional Championship one year. Obviously, he knew the golf swing, he was competent. But our personalities just did not fit. If was like a couple of classes in my college years, I just did not want to be there, but they were "core" courses. After the third lesson, I never went back.

Recently, this year, I started lessons again. This time, the personalities fit. Not only do I think my game is improving, but, more importantly I am enjoying the lessons. Beyond, the personal, there are other factors that I like. He operates out of what may be described as a large garage, where with the door opened you can hit to a range as opposed to a net. (This will accommodate some winter lessons.) Inside the garage, one hits off a mat, but we also go outside and hit off the grass. Inside the garage, he uses "Trackman". I told him those numbers will mean nothing to me, but he said its use was strictly for him-it confirms his observations. He also films much of the lesson. At the conclusion, of the lesson we watch the films, which gives me a visual perspective for his comments and instructions.
I know who the previous instructor was. Have you told me who the new guy is.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I always think it's interesting how many people say "work with the swing I've got".

I understand making minor changes, and if you've had a great swing in the past you may just need someone to point out the thing you're missing to get back there. But I know like for me, I never had a good swing. I don't want somebody to "fix" my natural swing, my natural swing sucks. I want to learn a good swing, even though it's all kinds of uncomfortable and I hit worse mid-change.

Point well taken. Part of this lesson is also just to go over short term and long term goals, see if we see eye to eye, and would be good together for lessons in the spring. If there are any major adjustments to work on, they won't be happening till the spring.

I always think it's interesting how many people say "work with the swing I've got".

I understand making minor changes, and if you've had a great swing in the past you may just need someone to point out the thing you're missing to get back there. But I know like for me, I never had a good swing. I don't want somebody to "fix" my natural swing, my natural swing sucks. I want to learn a good swing, even though it's all kinds of uncomfortable and I hit worse mid-change.

Is there nothing in your current swing that works?

Point well taken. Part of this lesson is also just to go over short term and long term goals, see if we see eye to eye, and would be good together for lessons in the spring. If there are any major adjustments to work on, they won't be happening till the spring.

Sounds like a solid approach

The biggest things for me are:

-Friendly and easy to talk to.
-Not looking to completely rebuild my swing at every turn.
-Uses video analysis (this is EXTREMELY helpful for me).
-Explains and demonstrates everything he asks me to do (I don't want the "if you can't do, teach" guy haha).
-Lets me hang around and hit balls to practice afterwards. This is often the most valuable part of the lesson for me.

The pro I'm working with now is pretty cool guy. My 1st lesson he watched me hit a few and asked what me goals were. We talked about where I was and what he could to help me.

The phrase "feel player" doesn't really apply to me but I learn better by doing. I don't need nor want the technical part but show me what it should feel like and I can get there. He works with my wife as well and she has made some great strides with her game.

I guess to answer the question

Easy going, easy to talk to on a level I can understand
Flexible hours because my schedule is all over the place

Back