2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's what I use. The raised heel helps push the knees slightly forward and engage the quads little bit more. They are not comfy pillow shoes. I find, for me, a 1/2 size smaller than normal shoes fits perfect. Really nice and stable for presses.

They, however, are not for running and jump.
Makes total sense man. The pillow thing is what my Nikes are and it's kinda scary thinking about it now haha putting any sort of load on a big pad. I'm a noob so I don't need anything crazy but definitely want to use something that won't be sketchy. May just grab a pair of those you showed. Thanks!

2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

What are you guys wearing for sneakers? I think we discussed it but I forgot. I have a pair of adidas sambas that feel ok but pretty squishy, and another pair of nikes that felt horrible squatting in. Thinking about grabbing a pair of specific shoes. I know chuck Ts but any other suggestions?

I wear Reebok Nanos for most days at the gym but I'm looking to get a pair of oly shoes for when I'm doing nothing but lifting.

So is the raised heel ok when deadlifting tho? I like the heel idea but want to make sure I don't have to like change my damn shoes after squatting lol that would suck.

So is the raised heel ok when deadlifting tho? I like the heel idea but want to make sure I don't have to like change my damn shoes after squatting lol that would suck.
Some guys like it. Some guys don't. I have deadlifted both ways. A lot of guys deadlift barefoot. I like the shoes. dunno. Everybody one or the other.

The Do-Wins at that price is a steal. Unless you're snatching 140 kg, no reason to get $200 shoes. Unless you want them.

Some guys like it. Some guys don't. I have deadlifted both ways. A lot of guys deadlift barefoot. I like the shoes. dunno. Everybody one or the other.

The Do-Wins at that price is a steal. Unless you're snatching 140 kg, no reason to get $200 shoes. Unless you want them.
Gotcha, makes sense. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt like a dangerous thing or something to be doing certain lifts with a heel but if it's just preference I'm going to get a pair on sale just try em. I really like the idea for squats that's for sure

Gotcha, makes sense. Just wanted to make sure it wasnt like a dangerous thing or something to be doing certain lifts with a heel but if it's just preference I'm going to get a pair on sale just try em. I really like the idea for squats that's for sure
Do-Wins. Half size smaller.

I wear my running shoes for everything involving less than 200 pounds. A 7mm drop (about 1/4") and not much padding/stack height makes for a decent platform when I'm not lifting heavy.
http://runrepeat.com/merrell-allout-flash

And once I get above 200 pounds, I lift barefoot. Worth noting, I also frequently do lifts with my work boots on, but those are a similar drop, an even lower stack height, and very little padding. I put an insert in them when I ruck march for some extra impact absorption. I do so love these boots, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Research-Mini-Mil-Transition-Athletic/dp/B00J7V6J2Q

Yes, I could use lifting shoes, but I've never felt at all comfortable wearing them. The raised heel has always made stabilizing on lifts like the clean feel really awkward, but keeping myself from going forward is my biggest flaw in my clean and front squat, so it makes sense I'd dislike the raised heel.

Another 2 mile run in the books this morning. It's starting to get easier each time. I'd like to get down to an 8 mile a minute pace. I was just under 9:20 a mile this am.

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

What are you guys wearing for sneakers? I think we discussed it but I forgot. I have a pair of adidas sambas that feel ok but pretty squishy, and another pair of nikes that felt horrible squatting in. Thinking about grabbing a pair of specific shoes. I know chuck Ts but any other suggestions?

I use Sperry Top-siders with Superfeet insole inserts. No squish sole with a heel cup for stability from the insert.

I'm off work for Columbus day so did my weights a little earlier today, and struggled again. Things were going well with squats then I hit my first work set and could only get 3 reps in. I rested for a little bit and regrouped, and was ultimately able to do my 3x5 work sets, but the last set was a real struggle. Moved on to press, and again it was going well with my warmups and the proper grip and form seemed to make things easier then I got to my first work set and could barely do 1 rep. Dropped it down to a lower weight to check my form again and that went well, so tried again and got 2 and couldn't do anymore; I just felt drained of all energy, so I decided to do 2 sets at a lower weight and be done with presses. Moved onto deads and everything went well there, used a mixed grip on my work set and that felt a ton better on my hands than a double overhand I had been using. I don't know if my problems are due to my huge calorie deficit or that I didn't get a good nights sleep last night because of my daughter, but it seems like I'm wearing down; 4 more days.

I'm off work for Columbus day so did my weights a little earlier today, and struggled again. Things were going well with squats then I hit my first work set and could only get 3 reps in. I rested for a little bit and regrouped, and was ultimately able to do my 3x5 work sets, but the last set was a real struggle. Moved on to press, and again it was going well with my warmups and the proper grip and form seemed to make things easier then I got to my first work set and could barely do 1 rep. Dropped it down to a lower weight to check my form again and that went well, so tried again and got 2 and couldn't do anymore; I just felt drained of all energy, so I decided to do 2 sets at a lower weight and be done with presses. Moved onto deads and everything went well there, used a mixed grip on my work set and that felt a ton better on my hands than a double overhand I had been using. I don't know if my problems are due to my huge calorie deficit or that I didn't get a good nights sleep last night because of my daughter, but it seems like I'm wearing down; 4 more days.
Dude, I hope everything is fine with your daughter. This is going to be a drain because of the caloric deficit. I know it sucks. It's a grind. I know you don't drink coffee, this would have been a day for some simple caffeine during the workout.

My gym is closed because of Columbus Day. I hate this holiday.

Keep pushing Neb, you're close dude!! Your hard work will pay off

Not going to lie. This kind of blows my mind.

It's the campus wellness center and campus is closed today. The athletic director said he could let me in at 2, but I don't get off work until 5. Looks like it'll be yoga and the 7-minute workout tonight.

Dude, I hope everything is fine with your daughter. This is going to be a drain because of the caloric deficit. I know it sucks. It's a grind. I know you don't drink coffee, this would have been a day for some simple caffeine during the workout.

She's fine, I think just cutting teeth. I'll keep pushing, but I am very much looking for this week to be over.

She's fine, I think just cutting teeth. I'll keep pushing, but I am very much looking for this week to be over.
Whew. For some reason, I thought your daughter was older.

After this week, calories get bumped way up. 2500 per day. This is temporary. It sucks. But you're trying to make weight. Next week, we can get you back to eating normal.

I definitely need to start running again, getting to fat, but it's hard when you work 730 to 8 or 9 or whenever.

Maybe I'll try waking up at 530 tomorrow.

I definitely need to start running again, getting to fat, but it's hard when you work 730 to 8 or 9 or whenever.

Maybe I'll try waking up at 530 tomorrow.

a 90 minute work day sounds pretty easy :beat-up:

What are you eating and when?

Blu,

Want to give me some recommendations for eating while traveling? Had a salad with chicken for lunch, but without a TON of options, I am just not really sure exactly what to eat to keep fuel in my body, but not to sort of blow what I am working on cardio/gym wise.

Blu,

Want to give me some recommendations for eating while traveling? Had a salad with chicken for lunch, but without a TON of options, I am just not really sure exactly what to eat to keep fuel in my body, but not to sort of blow what I am working on cardio/gym wise.

oh boy. I will do what I can here. First, what are your goals in the gym?

a 90 minute work day sounds pretty easy :beat-up:

What are you eating and when?
Junk food, definitely need to eat better, right now I can't buy anything since nothing is open before work and everything is closed after.

It's turkey Sandwiches on wheat bread, with cheese (sometimes ham, mostly turkey)

Too much soda.

A bag if chips

Usually a handful of baby carrots, and a banana.

oh boy. I will do what I can here. First, what are your goals in the gym?

I am trying to lose weight. I am doing a lot of compound lifts, but mostly higher reps, not trying to put on muscle, really looking to drop weight and then maybe bulk up a little, but that is 30+ pounds from now. I am usually doing about 30-40 minutes of cardio 5-6 times a week. Mixture of HIIT and high incline walking.

As for weights doing dead lifts, bench, squat, some presses, ab workouts.

Junk food, definitely need to eat better, right now I can't buy anything since nothing is open before work and everything is closed after.

It's turkey Sandwiches on wheat bread, with cheese (sometimes ham, mostly turkey)

Too much soda.

A bag if chips

And you're work day is mostly manual farm labor correct?

Too much soda.

A bag if chips

Switching to water instead of soda should be a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back