2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been going back and forth with that guy who has all the equipment, finally going to check it out this weekend. Bit over an hour away but I'm hoping to score some stuff. Having equipment at home especially during the nasty weather approaching would be badass. Fingers crossed

Weights tonight; squats, press, and dead lifts. I think I've been doing dead lifts wrong this whole time, not the actual lift, but as part of the program. I've been doing 3x5 on them every week instead of 1x5 like the program calls for, and I also forgot to up by 10 and only went up 5 (could I have messed it up any more??). I'll get on track next time. Also, tried working on my power clean form with just the bar and felt like that was working well. I'll give it a go next weights session instead of jump shrugs.

Weights tonight; squats, press, and dead lifts. I think I've been doing dead lifts wrong this whole time, not the actual lift, but as part of the program. I've been doing 3x5 on them every week instead of 1x5 like the program calls for, and I also forgot to up by 10 and only went up 5 (could I have messed it up any more??). I'll get on track next time. Also, tried working on my power clean form with just the bar and felt like that was working well. I'll give it a go next weights session instead of jump shrugs.
Your deadlift screw up isn't a killer. Just right the ship. Good work on the cleans.

Your deadlift screw up isn't a killer. Just right the ship. Good work on the cleans.

Question for you on righting the ship on the deadlift. I feel like it's too light, especially if I'm shooting for 1 set instead of 3. Would you suggest still just increasing it by 10 next week, or stick with the program and it will correct itself over time by not maxing out as early in the process?

Question for you on righting the ship on the deadlift. I feel like it's too light, especially if I'm shooting for 1 set instead of 3. Would you suggest still just increasing it by 10 next week, or stick with the program and it will correct itself over time by not maxing out as early in the process?

1 set of 5 reps. try going up by 15# from today's workout. I think you can handle it.

I know for me personally I'd rather feel like it was light and I could have really good form and feel the muscles working instead of going too heavy where I'd struggle hard and compromise by doing anything to get the rep. Luckily with everyone's help I've found a happy medium with adding enough weight to continue gaining but not too much where I'm sloppy. Know what I mean?

I know for me personally I'd rather feel like it was light and I could have really good form and feel the muscles working instead of going too heavy where I'd struggle hard and compromise by doing anything to get the rep. Luckily with everyone's help I've found a happy medium with adding enough weight to continue gaining but not too much where I'm sloppy. Know what I mean?
I know what you mean.

I hear what you're saying. It just doesn't feel like I'm working as hard on the dead lift as I am on the other lifts, so I think I can go up without sacrificing form.

I hear what you're saying. It just doesn't feel like I'm working as hard on the dead lift as I am on the other lifts, so I think I can go up without sacrificing form.
Makes total sense. I don't think you'd be wrong to add some weight and get that feeling of working a bit more. Exactly like I was taking about, find that medium. Keep kicking ass!!

More than a lot of the other one, I feel like the deadlift sneaks up on me. I'll do a set, feel ok, but then realize everything is more tired than I thought it would be.

More than a lot of the other one, I feel like the deadlift sneaks up on me. I'll do a set, feel ok, but then realize everything is more tired than I thought it would be.
Yup. Instead of being worn down by high reps and a lot of sets, work up to a single set of 5 and give it HELL!

About to do my squats and single leg work. Not sure what I'll finish with today... Probably some reverse lunges with weight.

About to do my squats and single leg work. Not sure what I'll finish with today... Probably some reverse lunges with weight.

Weighted reverse lunges are brutal. Good luck.

What I ended up doing... The push-ups were in the morning.
uploadfromtaptalk1442029123745.jpg

10x5 squats at 165#.

Tougher than I thought it would be. But fun to work out with the wife.

10x5 squats at 165#.

Tougher than I thought it would be. But fun to work out with the wife.

That's a ton of squats. Solid work.

Anyone have better luck with dumbbell bench over barbell bench in terms of working the chest? I mean it works my chest but I've got long lanky arms and the barbell bench seems to eat my arms / shoulders more than my chest. When I do dumbbell bench press it's like a night and day difference in the way my chest gets worked. The dumbbells eat me lol am I doing something wrong or can I tweak something? Or is it ok to just keep on and get something out of both?

Anyone have better luck with dumbbell bench over barbell bench in terms of working the chest? I mean it works my chest but I've got long lanky arms and the barbell bench seems to eat my arms / shoulders more than my chest. When I do dumbbell bench press it's like a night and day difference in the way my chest gets worked. The dumbbells eat me lol am I doing something wrong or can I tweak something? Or is it ok to just keep on and get something out of both?
Without seeing your barbell bench press form, it's hard to say.

In general, if the bench isn't hitting your chest, it means your hands or elbows or both are too narrow.

Without seeing your barbell bench press form, it's hard to say.

In general, if the bench isn't hitting your chest, it means your hands or elbows or both are too narrow.
I'll have to see what my elbows are doing next workout. Id say my grip is pretty wide but I wonder if it's just a matter of me not REALLY focusing on contracting the chest. Maybe go lighter and really focus on that or will not that do anything?

I'll have to see what my elbows are doing next workout. Id say my grip is pretty wide but I wonder if it's just a matter of me not REALLY focusing on contracting the chest. Maybe go lighter and really focus on that or will not that do anything?
Nah. Your chest will contract with the movement. No reason think of "squeezing"

At the bottom, on your chest. Your elbows should be directly under the bar and your forearms should vertical. The bar should touch, as a starting point, about two fingers up from the bottom of your sternum. Pinch your shoulder blades back and down at all times.

Nah. Your chest will contract with the movement. No reason think of "squeezing"

At the bottom, on your chest. Your elbows should be directly under the bar and your forearms should vertical. The bar should touch, as a starting point, about two fingers up from the bottom of your sternum. Pinch your shoulder blades back and down at all times.
Gotcha. I'm going to pay close attention next time because thinking about it right now, I can't say for sure what I'm actually doing lol. Been concentrating hard on squats and deads and obviously need a bit more focus on my bench form now that things are progressing. Thanks dude!

I can say however tho that I'm adding 5-10 each session with the squats and deads and feeling pretty damn good about them after just a few weeks of doing them. They are killers!

Ran a 5K today with a bunch of folks from my gym. First time I've run since a 2 miler July 4.

Finished with a time I was happy with, but I think I'm going to pay for it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back