How would you play this shot?

jiiim

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
NONE
It's the 18th hole you're 1 down and your opponent hit a bad shot and is in deep ruff about 40 yards from the hole with no chance to get it near the hole but can hit the green.. You're both lying 2

You made your approach shot and you are on the fringe about 60 feet from the hole...after the fringe the green drops down about a foot for about 15 feet... then it's slightly uphill the rest of the way to the cup....there's about a 2 foot break from right to left and the greens are running fast and dry....

What club would you use and how would you hit the shot?

I'm trying to imagine this. Typically, I think I'd probably lag it up as close as I could. BUT, from the fringe I think I might take a wedge to throw it past all the big break and into the uphill slope. Using the spin and uphill slope to slow it down and get it as close as I could.

From your description, I would lean towards a pitch and run 9 iron or less. Would try to fly it about 1/3 of the way to the hole and let it roll out from there. Not being there and seeing the roll on the greens for myself, it is hard to determine what club I would use but would play the shot as described.

Depending on how much fringe there is, I would either putt it or use my 7 iron and hit it with a putter stroke.

Probably chipping it with a 60 getting it to die on the uphill slope with in tap in range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he is looking at a sure 5 then I'm taking the putter and lagging it up there. I'm much better with the putter than any other club from there so I'm confident that I can run it up to 3 feet or so

From your description, I would lean towards a pitch and run 9 iron or less. Would try to fly it about 1/3 of the way to the hole and let it roll out from there. Not being there and seeing the roll on the greens for myself, it is hard to determine what club I would use but would play the shot as described.

9 iron was my first thought as well. I would also consider putting it or chipping with my 5 wood. Regardless, I'm looking to get my ball rolling on the green, and would use my putting grip and stroke for all the club options.

I putt it if at all possible. If not possible then I hit whatever shot I'm most comfortable executing - we must get the ball into one putt territory.

I'm probably using a 58 and flying it pretty close to the hole planning on it dying uphill. Putter is the obvious choice, but for me putting it through 3 different speeds will make it tough to get close.

I would putt it.

It's the 18th hole you're 1 down and your opponent hit a bad shot and is in deep ruff about 40 yards from the hole with no chance to get it near the hole but can hit the green.. You're both lying 2

You made your approach shot and you are on the fringe about 60 feet from the hole...after the fringe the green drops down about a foot for about 15 feet... then it's slightly uphill the rest of the way to the cup....there's about a 2 foot break from right to left and the greens are running fast and dry....

I'm grabbing my 60* wedge and running it right up below the hole.

I'm playing a low running PW or 9i, depending on how much fringe I need to clear. Get it rolling ASAP and let it ride its journey to tap in range.

I'm probably using a 58 and flying it pretty close to the hole planning on it dying uphill. Putter is the obvious choice, but for me putting it through 3 different speeds will make it tough to get close.
My thoughts exactly!

An ugly bump -and-run with my 7 iron, or take a wedge and skull it over the green.

Jack

Depends on what my opponent did with his shot from 40 yards, since he is away, it depends on what he does. If he messes up, I don't have to be real aggressive with my next shot.

I would put with all the downhill if possible. A chip might take off. I always try and put when it's close because less potential for a disasterous nervy shot.

I'd have to be there I guess, but I do a lot of long stuff from the fringe with a hybrid using my putter grip.

Well, I'll know how close she got before I make my shot because she's my opponent, and because of that this is a match and she would be hitting first due to her distance from the hole.

My worst putt is better than my best chip. I could skull the ball. I'd look over the break, the slope, pick an intermediate target on my line, trust it, and lag it hoping to get it within 3 feet.

She has to make her putt to at least stand a chance at halving the hole, and hope I miss my putt to win in that case, or if we both miss our putts we halve and to onto sudden death on the first hole.

Putting stroke with my 4 hybrid bumping the ball up to gimme range.

definitely putt. i can't tell the speed of the greens, but if there's as much uphill as downhill, i would hit it like a regular putt for that distance. i can put a little pop into the putt, an intentional yip if you will, just to cozy the ball to hopefully tap-in range.

Putt. No question about it.

8I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

only one club for me here, my six iron with a modified sweep putting stoke....I can be deadly with my six iron on the fringe

Green is 160 yards away behind this tree. The pic doesn't really do the height and how close to the tree I was. But let's hear what you have.

Without having all the details I'm thinking about going with my 60 degree

Back