How much times do the pros spend experimenting with new drivers and distance?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
Last weekend, we were discussing playing strategies and what matters. Some of the older guys were saying distance doesn't matter at all, etc ., the usual stuff.

There was a local college player from the U of A Razorbacks there and he commented " some of the pros spend a few hours each week looking at different drivers and combinations, just trying to gain a yard or two, as long as it's consistent and controllable".

Well, that reminded me of some golf articles from back in the mid 90's. I remember one that talked about Fred Couples, Greg Norman, and Nick Price.

According to the article if one of the players could gain just 1-1/2 yards on a drive and still get the same control, they would change.

Over a years time some players could gain 3-4 yards from switching clubs/shafts. I believe it stated that, a few of them spent about 6- 10 hours a week experimenting with the driver(s).

Does anyone have any info or articles about this?

Thanks,
Jack

Most of the tour players belong to their sponsors Taylormade, Callaway etc etc....So it's my guess when their sponsors are going to bring out a new driver or when they want some players to test a club that's about it...Not all the drivers a Mfg puts up for sale are going to be tour bound...I don't think the tour tests all the average driver meant for most of us

How much times do the pros spend experimenting with new drivers and distance?

Most of the tour players belong to their sponsors Taylormade, Callaway etc etc....So it's my guess when their sponsors are going to bring out a new driver or when they want some players to test a club that's about it...Not all the drivers a Mfg puts up for sale are going to be tour bound...I don't think the tour tests all the average driver meant for most of us

Depends on the OEM. Callaway for example is legendary for their support of their players. For example - Phil regularly dabbles with 1 or 2 other clubs from different OEMs. TaylorMade RBZ and PING wedges come to mind. In each case, he helped Callaway put out a new and or better product. The x hot/deep line and the PM wedges. Point being is some OEMs are extremely flexible (within reason) and want their players to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the OP. My guess is hours upon hours for some guys- tinkerers like Phil or others. Some probably change unless prompted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they get them months before public release for play & practice & probably after spending at least a day at the OEM's fitting area to dial in the best specs for them, that is when you hear the term "prototype" then once released to the public they will say (for instance) Phil has been using the new BB Alpha for the past 3 months & has hit more FW's & picked up 10 yards (again that was an example, not real)

In the past the break during the fall events is when many would test new equipment and get dialed in choose what they were going to play. I am sure they spent time during off weeks doing some testing as well. Now that the new season starts their chance to experiment and get dialed in is a lot shorter so I am guessing their off weeks, the first couple,days of tournament weeks since the tour vans are there they are using this time to get dialed in.

IIRC, Nick Price told that Goldwin Golf worked with him a lot on the ADVP drivers at that time. Those clubheads were milled out from a solid piece. He would try out modifid versions of the same driver such as: 5 grams removed from the crown, and placed in the soleplate.

They would take the same shaft and trim it 1/2" more, and were constantly tinkering with his present combo. It seemed he had about 10 different drivers that they would work on.

He always kept his main driver separate until they could prove that a change worked, before touching his game club.

He never did state a timeframe, which led me to believe, it was pretty much constant testing.

Jack

Do you guys think it is a constant pursuit for every last foot of distance for most? Or , just a few experiment for every little bit of yardage?

Jack

It definitely varies significantly for each player. Some of these guys wouldn't change at all. They are happy with consistency and knowing the good and bad shots with that club. Snedker is playing seven year old driver and not the only guy like that on tour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The pursuit of an extra few yards of distance off the tee through equipment changes is a fools game. Scrambling, short game, proximity to the hole, and putting will usually determine wether or not a Tour Player keeps his card, not his driving distance. Most of the low single digit index players that I play with at my club do not run out and buy the latest driver every year and more than half of them play drivers and/or irons that are more than a few years old. Two of the longest and straightest drivers of the ball that I know, both who are in their 50's, play 2009 Nakashima Drivers. They were custom fit of course but more proof that it really is the Indian not the arrow.

Friends with a good friend of Tom and especially Curt Byrum. Was out playing with the them and I hit my Callaway ball by Tom (he's not especially long but still poked it out there 290) I of course made fun of him and he stated that he would suck a **** to get out of playing Titleist

Back