2015 Gauntlet Recap & Review Thread

OK its recap time. This may get long winded so i apologize ahead of time but this is going to be hard to put into words.

The 2015 Gauntlet was my first real grand event. I have been to a number of THP events, but this one just seemed special from the time i was selected in the second contest. I had talked to a number of THPers who had experienced events with the Zoo Crew and had heard that they were great people so i was so excited to get to Chicago for this one.

FRIDAY

I was fortunate enough to live by a couple other participants for the Gauntlet so we had a pretty cool carpool coming from Cleveland. The three of us were so giddy the entire time and as each mile came off the GPS the excitement just kept building. As we got closer to Chicago we were planning what we were going to do before dinner because we had a couple hours to kill and in typical THPer fashion, we went to a PGA Super Store haha. I needed to pick up Mward a little gift so it worked out anyways lol. After the PGA SS we went to the hotel and i met up with Mward, THPJRod and JB for a couple drinks and some catch up time. I gave wardy his gift which may make more sense if explained haha In Orlando this year at Love Is In The Air, we all got SWAG bags and included in the bags were womens vizors. Wardy showed up to the course Saturday morning wearing the womens visor thinking it was his haha so just to make sure he felt like he was dressed properly, i picked him up a womens Callaway visor.

After JB left to greet the Zoo Crew, we all made our way to the lobby where i spent the next couple hours talking with Wardy and Nick Pingel about life and past events and just anything else that came up. After a bit, mancest walked through the doors, sat down and jumped right in on the conversation and before you knew it it was time for dinner. Dinner was such a great time. We had all briefly met the Zoo Crew in the hotel lobby but dinner was the first time we got to sit down and really meet them. JRod was a riot the entire night, making sure every other Gauntlet Captain had more than enough wine to drink :) And how about Roger F'n Cleveland showing up to dinner, taking the time to take pictures with anyone who wanted them, asking each one of us at the dinner table what we did for a living and asking a little bit about us. Just so freaking cool. Someone like him didnt need to sit at dinner with us, didnt need to interact, didnt need to do any of that but he did and he was so down to earth while doing it. And for the record, he served me pizza haha. Pairings were announced at dinner and myself and Nick Pingel drew cbaker2882 and Mward. Sort of fitting because cbaker (Colin) and i have played quite a few rounds together in prep for this event so i knew we had our hands full. Even if wardy was bringing an injury to the match.

After dinner everyone went back to the hotel and we took over the lobby. I ended up going up to my room to change into some basketball shorts and a tee shirt and when i got back down to the lobby JB says "Hey Phil, wanna take a shot?" as Ethan was pouring it. There was no way in hell i was going to say no no matter what it was. Turns out it was some sort of god awful, armpit liquor named Malort. Everyone was hanging out having some drinks, eating leftover pizza, making jokes and just having an awesome time and before you knew it it was almost 1am.

SATURDAY

In the morning, we got to the course and took a short ride back to the short game practice area where we were given the Wedgucation of a lifetime! Roger was awesome with explaining everything from grooves, grinds and finish of the new Mack Daddy 3 wedge. After Roger's presentation, we were all given our wedge and were able to try them out with all different types of shots. One thing i want to say about the MD3 is its absolutely 100% legit. Amazing feel and the ball just has a bite to it ive never had before. After the wedge session, we went to the range to warm up then it was off to the first tee.

In my opinion, our match with Wardy and Colin was the match of the weekend. Neither team had a lead of more than 2, and it was only fitting it ended the way it did. Its amazing how good you can play when you are being pushed by someone elses great play. Wardy and Colin were absolute machines and never really hit it into trouble and when they did, they would both his great recovery shots so they really never gave us any time to relax. Our match was AS on the 16th green with all four of us staring at par putts, each one longer than 4 feet, so the pressure was on and it was great that we all made the putts. On 17, my partner threw a dart to 4 feet on his approach and made the putt to give us a 1Up lead going into 18. Nick, you have giant ones my friend. What a great shot. On 18, I had a birdie putt from the fringe to win the match and i hate to say it but i didnt hit the putt hard enough. I had a perfect line but it just ran out of gas and missed low. So i tap in for my par and set the stage for Mclutch to step up and bury his birdie putt and halve the match. Fellas, i cant say this enough. That will forever be the most fun i have ever had on a course!

Saturday night Top Golf was a blast. Open bar, tasty food, THPers and Zoo Crew make for one hell of a party! In my opinion, this was the perfect setting for an evening out with 6 teams in the middle of a competition. We were all able to just relax and let loose and have so much fun it really made it easy to forget we were only 2 points behind the leaders in the Gauntlet standings. After we got back to the hotel, we took over the lobby again for some more drinks and college football. Im really going to miss those lobby hang out sessions lol

SUNDAY

Sunday morning when we got to the course, i wanted to spend a little less time hitting balls and a little more time rolling putts because i was told by just about everyone that had played both courses that Dubsdread greens were a lot faster than Ravines. So i hit maybe half of my small bucket and then went to the putting green and really focused on pace. I want to say that it worked because to start the match i had 6 putts through 5 holes and that really got us going. I want to say this about my captain.... Johnny Rodriguez aka JRod is a freaking LEGEND. He absolutely knows how to keep good vibes going during a round and really made sure we all had a freaking blast on the course. I honestly believe him when he says having fun is more important than winning. Hell the second we finished our round, he pulled out a fishing pole and went fishing in the pond next to the 18th green. It really put it into perspective. I was nervous to find out how our team did but what for? Did it really matter? Not really. And it didnt matter because i had the weekend of my freaking life. Win or lose, it wouldnt have changed any of the memories i have from that weekend. There is nothing i could have won that tops what i received in friendship and fun and memories.

Well...... almost nothing. There is that one thing....MVP! What an honor! What a surprise! Ive been trying to figure out how to describe the feelings ive had over the last 36 hours but i legit cant. When JB said to me "Your are the MVP, welcome to the Grandaddy" everything just went silent and almost white. I couldnt believe it. I closed my eyes and said to myself "No F'n way" and then was embraced by everyone there. Every single person in the Gauntlet came up to me to say congrats including the Zoo Crew and i couldnt be more thankful. I will forever miss our time in Chicago at Cog Hill!

To my teammates, i freaking love you guys! Such a solid group and i was lucky to get paired up with you three!

To my wife, your support means more than you could ever know. Its HUGE to know i have your support with golf and with THP. I love this game, i love this place and i love how you get it and support it. And i want to thank you for your influence in the recap music haha

Lastly, to the Zoo Crew. I find it hard to believe that there is a better group of people than you guys. Rhi, is there anyone on the planet that has more fun than you? Your outlook on life is encouraging to others and really makes people stop and rethink their attitude towards things. I know it did that to me. JRod, thank you for everything this weekend! Ill be toasting a bottle of Titos this weekend for you! Nevs, the wedge talk we had saturday night at top golf was so cool. Thank you for taking the time to make sure we all had all of our questions answered. Ethan, you are one of the greats, but Malort is the absolute worst. ScottyG, Aint nothin but a G thang baaaaaabbyyyyyyy! And lastly, AJ. Im sorry my wife called you a backstreet boy. Wait, no im not lol it fits. Ill see you guys in December!

Looks like a good time was had by all. Can't wait to hear some of the recaps! Now if I can only get that awful song out of my head...

Great stuff Colin and Phil. I need to sit down and start putting some thoughts together.

Had my speakers on too loud when that video started playing and got some funny looks. Looked like a great time once again. JRod with another THP tag??!! Does he have legend status yet?

Loved the video! It was fun to follow along and the updates were top notch with this event. Ill admit as someone growing up in the 90s / early 2000s with a sister, I know like every word to that song lol!! Is that bad?

Colin, Phil, those recaps are killer gents. Bravo!

The recap video was incredible. Love the first couple of recaps...congratulations again Phil!

Had my speakers on too loud when that video started playing and got some funny looks. Looked like a great time once again. JRod with another THP tag??!! Does he have legend status yet?

He has a cool 4 HOF tags matching Harry and Finley. That's a lot of wins.

i left so much out of it too on accident. The feeling i had when the match was over saturday, i didnt even have the energy to talk at the time. I absolutely gave it my all that round and i think thats why i love how it ended. And same with Sundays round. We were all sitting up on the mound waiting, and waiting, and waiting for AJ's group to finish and i was just staring into nothing. Nick Pingel even asked me if i was ok lol i had given it my all that weekend and i was speechless. Such a cool feeling

Fantastic! What a great event.

For anyone wondering about me calling Roger "Arnold Palmer" it comes from this.

I went to the bathroom at dinner at Giordano's and on the way back the waitress stops me for this little exhange...

Waitress - "excuse me, can you tell me who that older gentleman is over there?"
Me - "the guy on the end? That's Roger Cleveland. He started Cleveland Golf and now does the Wedges for Callaway. he's kind of a big deal."
Waitress - "ohhh, that makes more sense. I thought it was Arnold Palmer!"

...classic.

I’m going to break my recap into different parts so I don’t get too long winded. And it’s just easier for my dumb noggin to focus on one part at a time. I apologize that even this got long.

I want to start off by saying thank you to JB, GG, Mike Dean, the Zoocrew, the other participants, and everyone on here that followed along. It doesn’t work without everyone. JB and GG, these events that you guys dream up and put together are second to none. For an average Joe like me, to have an experience like this, is just flat out awesome. Thank you for everything you guys do. Mike, thank you for all the work you put into this one. I don’t know how much it was, but I do know it had to be a ton. It was a great venue for everything that went down. Zoocrew, oh boy. What a freaking crew of people you are. To take the time out of your busy schedules, on a weekend nonetheless, and come play golf with us is awesome. The best part is that you all hang out with us and just be your normal selves, and talk with us like we’re old pals. Just super down to earth, and genuinely nice people. So thank you for all of that. To the other participants, what an effing time huh!? I’m glad I got to experience this with all of you, and get to know you guys. There was some really solid golf played out there, and some not so good golf, but everyone was having fun, and that’s what counts. And finally, thank you to everyone on here who followed along and cheered us on, no matter who you were rooting for. And thank you for being in this thread and reading more about our experience. It truly is a damn cool feeling to know you guys are on here and enjoying this experience with us.

The Build Up

When I got selected to Ethan’s squad I was so pumped. I got the PM popup that said I had a message from JB and it said congrats and welcome to The Gauntlet, or something along those lines. My immediate reaction was “No f***ing way!” and I proceeded to open the PM and just about jump out of my work chair. I read through the PM and then just sat there talking to myself out loud going “Holy s***. No f***ing way. Holy s***. No f***ing way.”, rinse and repeat. From that point on, it was on. Went on THP and saw my other teammates were JRod and wadesworld. Both names I knew from on THP, but had never met. It wasn’t long before Ethan was in touch with us to congratulate us and welcome us aboard. Ethan, man, what a good dude. As we chatted a little bit back and forth leading up to this, we obviously talked about the event, and THP, and Callaway. But he also told us about himself in his life outside of Callaway; about his home life and all that. He also asked questions and wanted to get to know us on a personal level, and who we are outside of THP. It’s one of the reasons why in the Grandaddy contest for picking who we wanted to play against I picked Ethan, which might seem strange, but it was because of respect. There’s no greater thing than respecting who you’re playing with or against, and I gained a ton of it for him. Playing for him in the Gauntlet was an honor, and playing against him in the Grandaddy would be an honor as well.

On top of getting to know my teammates, I started putting in more and more work on my game. Everyone says it, and it’s true, practice takes on a whole different feel and meaning when you get into one of these big events. I loaded up my swing on THP to get some advice from Freddie, and he got me working on some great things. I was at the range way more than usual working on his tips. I feel like my swing came a long way in a short period of time, and that had me really excited. I was also working on my chipping and putting quite a bit, albeit at my house. I noticed the biggest difference in putting leading up to the event. I was making more putts and feeling more confident than I had in a long time. My final two rounds leading up to last weekend left me unsure though of how I’d do. One I played great, and everything was working really well. I was so happy with where I was, and my confidence was soaring. Then the Monday before the event I absolutely stunk it up. My short game was ok, but my swing fell apart. I went to the range every day last week to try and grind it out, and felt like I had gotten back to where I was the previous round before. Then, it was time to go.

Next up, Friday…

What a weekend. Thanks to the #ZooCrew, Mr. Cleveland and THP for making this the weekend of a lifetime. Special shoutout to amsmith and Amart for picking me up from the airport, captaincaution for driving me around all weekend and to brianmk24 for the ride back to the airport.

I'll never forget Friday night when Roger Cleveland walked up and asked to sit down with me at dinner and the first thing he asked was, "What are we drinking?" He proceeds to order two bottles of wine and says the only rule tonight is that no one pours their own glass of wine. We had some great conversation and he seemed genuinely interested in us asking about what we did for a living, where we were from, etc. The food and drinks were great, but the people are what made that night special.

Saturday, I teamed up with Rhi and we were up against six4three5 and Amart. Rhi absolutely carried us that front 9 and her natural birdie, net ace on a tough par 3 was really, really fun to be a part of. I had a rough day, but Rhi made the day a lot of fun. Every member of the #ZooCrew is awesome, but I was really thankful to be on #TeamRhi. It's impossible to be in a bad mood around her. The round started with mimosas and we were both bummed we left our bluetooth speakers at the hotel and that the cart girl was nowhere to be seen for most of the day. She made some clutch putts coming down the stretch to keep us in the match, but six4three5 and Amart made awesome natural birds on 18 to close us out. It was still a great day and I hope everyone gets a chance to share a cart with Rhi one day. #FirstInFun is no joke.

TopGolf that night was honestly more fun than either round of golf, IMO. Everything was perfect. The drinks were flowing, there was good food and it was just a relaxed and fun night. Walking back and forth between the bays it seemed like everyone had a blast. #TeamRhi had some quality time as a group and I'm thankful to have been on a team with Alek and Brian. Two awesome dudes. We hit balls and laughed and took selfies until it was time to head back to the hotel lobby, where the party continued well into the night.

Sunday was Dubsdread and captaincaution was my partner against AJ and Amart. It felt like someone was in a bunker on EVERY hole and they were tough. We had another great battle and AJ and Amart were a lot of fun to be around. It was a great group and even though I played more mediocre golf, we had a lead on the back 9 coming down the stretch, but Amart is so freaking clutch with his putter and AJ has some serious game. That 2-putt on 17 by Amart sealed it. Can't even begin to describe how tough of a 2-putt that was. Alek had a chance on halve on 18, but just missed a really difficult chip down the hill. Alek carried our team most of the day and he dropped a few bombs off the tee, too! Really hated I wasn't able to contribute much this weekend as far as points go, but man I had a lot of fun. It was great to put faces to the many forum names I see every day and it didn't take long to feel like we had known each other for years.

So thankful for THP and what it means to me to meet new people and make lifelong friends all while arguing about silly things like release cycles and our favorite sports teams. And I really mean it when I say this was the best event I've ever attended. Each one just gets better and better.

Last edited:
Man oh man what an unbelievable experience this weekend! I can seriously say that it was the best weekend of my life. So just a little back story about me before I get to talking about my FIRST EVER THP event aka the gauntlet. I am a newbie when it comes to THP being on the site for only about a year. I joined it because I really enjoyed all of the reviews that were up and seeing the new equipment that was coming out. I noticed that this event was in Chicago (where I am from) and decided that I would try for it. Once I found out that I won I was in total shock but extremely excited at the same time. That is the point I got a message from my boy PhillyV and myndcraft to introduce themselves and that's when I knew it was real. I played a practice round with myndcraft and then went to my first unofficial even in Michigan and met PhillyV. I thought that was an awesome weekend because I met a bunch of THPers and realized that they all love golf as much as I do.

Fast forward to last Friday:
I can't even sleep knowing that today is the day. I get up and get myself to work where I spent all of my free time watching the gauntlet thread. I was so ready for that 3 o'clock bell to ring so I could get out of there and grab my stuff to head to the hotel. Once I got to the hotel I was greeted by a bunch of THPers who were already getting the party started with a few cocktails. I hung out in the lobby with PhillyV and my boy Wardy and we were just shootin the **** like we have been buddies all of our live. Just laughing and having a good time. Then mancest rolled in and joined in on the conversation. About 30 minutes after I got there...I see him...The Man, Myth and Legend himself Mr. Roger effin Cleveland. He came over and we all introduced ourselves and went upstairs like a boss. Now it was time for dinner. We went to Giordano's where we were greeted by a couple other THPers who were there and JB. We sat down at the table and RFC walks over and asks to sit by us...uhhhh you can have my seat Roger if you want it. Talk about a cool dude. My favorite line from dinner came from RFC and he goes "Man there must be a whole in my glass because every time I look down it's empty." After crushing pizza it was time for captain JRod to pick our pairing for the two days. I found out that I was going to be with my boy PhillyV on the first day and later we were informed that we would be playing Cbaker and Wardy. Now it is go time...well first it was coldstone for PhillyV and myself but then it was go time (Team OLine baby). We got back to the hotel and had some drinks with the #zoocrew and the guys and man are they all a riot. Seriously I laughed so much this weekend. Just a genuinely great group of people.

Saturday aka Game Day:
We get up Saturday morning and stroll down to get some continental breakfast action. Now some of you might not believe me when I say this but the U.S. National Boomerang team was staying at our hotel and we ate right by them :alien:. Back to the real deal. We get to Cog Hill and man is it glorious. What a beautiful establishment. We head over to the short game facility for a little bit of wedgucation. It was amazing just listening to a legend speak about wedges and how to hit them. Especially out of the bunker. Props to Jrod for stepping up and acting as a volunteer. After our weducation we got to practice with our new MD3 wedge and I had a similar experience as cbaker when Roger came over and liked how I was hitting my wedges. By the end of this year I will have a full set of MD3 wedges. So good. We got to the range and demoed some of the best feeling drivers I have hit in a while. The GBB is so nasty and it is definitely in my radar for the future. Now onto the match. This was by far the most fun I have had playing a round of golf. There was probably a total of 8 bad shots the entire round from all four golfers. Mward and Cbaker were absolute animals off the tee. Seriously they were both fairway finders. Cbaker has some serious wedge game and wardy has such a solid game overall. Our group shot net scores of 75, 75, 73, & 71. Everyone played outstanding and we were AS coming up to 16. We all had some tough putts for par and everyone drained them. On to #17 where Philly and I had 117 out on our approach and I threw a dart to about 4 ft. I made the birdie and we were up one going into 18. I smoke a drive on 18 to about 78 yrd out. Cbaker smokes a drive left and it hits the cart path for about 30 yrs extra roll and leaves them about 90 yrds out. Wardy steps up in front of everyone and hits it to about 6 ft and drains the birdie putt to halve the match. Man what a mentally exhausting round but so awesome. I would play that round of golf every time out. Great golf made me focus more and play my best golf.

After golf we went out to eat and back to the hotel. We left for Top Golf and it was such a blast. This was a brand new facility in which we had unlimited range balls, open bar, appetizers and the single greatest dessert I have ever had next to a portillos chocolate cake shake...tiny fried doughnut balls you filled with a syringe full of chocolate or vanilla. I spent the majority of my time at Top Golf banging out the a club that almost made it into my bag...it was a Top Golf special with a uniflex shaft called the Punisher. Just smashing that thing. I was also super impressed with JRod's ability to use AimPoint at Top Golf. I didn't realize that the mats were not always level and it could affect your shot so much :alien: Team JRod had a fun little game of P.I.G. at Top Golf then it was time for Sunday's pairings. Sure enough my partner myndcraft and I were the first one's chosen and as fate would have it...we were paired up with DNevs and my boy Wardy. We both looked at each other after playing together that day and go...Good-good? lol. Back to the hotel we went and more fun watching college football, drinking and just laughing hysterically.

Sunday - Let's go Team JRod:
So today is the day for all of the marbles...18 pts up for grabs on the historic Dubsdread course of Cog Hill. I knew going into today that this was going to be another difficult match and was it ever. We were the first group off and I stepped up to the tee completely nervous. I pulled the tee shot left but still had a shot into the green. Once I finally settled down I got back to playing my game. Hammering the ball off the tee then trying to get a wedge close or up and down. I ended up shooting a 37 on the front nine and feeling good. My partner myndraft played hit but off on Sunday and I couldn't of been happier because he saved my butt on multiple occasions. Wardy was playing great again and it came down to the end. We were fortunate enough to pull ahead and win the last two holes to take 3 pts for Team JRod. Once again I was so pumped to help my team and shooting a personal best at Dubs (76). I again have to credit it to all of my foursome playing well and team JRod having FUN all day! Once the round was over it was time to wait. Myndcraft and myself did our job for the day and it was all a waiting game. When the rest of our team finished I was nervous to say the least and I look over and our Captain has pulled out a fishing rod and was fishing on 18. That really showed me that this isn't about winning or losing but about having fun and enjoying the company of your friends. We ended up playing well enough as a team and won the 2015 Gauntlet with my boy PhillyV being named the MVP. It was such a perfect ending to a perfect weekend.

I know that this was a long review but I really had nothing but good things to say and needed to say them. I want to first and foremost thank JB, Golfergal and 441 you all are incredible people who let people who love the game of golf have experiences that not many people get to have. I now realized after this weekend that it is not about the equipment, swag or any of that stuff but about playing golf, having fun and making lifelong memories and friends. To Callaway and especially the #zoocrew...you are all an amazing group of people. I have never met a group who embraces its fans/customers as much as you do and I am so happy that I got a chance to meet each of you. JRod my captain. I want to thank you for reminding me that golf is about having fun and enjoying the people around you. That laughter is definitely the best medicine and to always have Fun with whatever you are doing. I am so honored to have this opportunity and I hope to do it again in the future.

Pringles aka Nick_Pingel

Man, that looks like it was really a great time. Really great recaps everyone! That would be one heck of a time.

Nick, you sir are a beast. And coldstone will never be the same lol

And a special thank you to Mward. If you look closely to my Profile picture, you can see a white tee, gold coin and a black divot tool. Right after it was announced i was MVP, he comes up to me and hands me the tee, coin and tool, all with the Hideaway logo. What an awesome gesture dude. You are a top notch THPer

Nick, you sir are a beast. And coldstone will never be the same lol

I have never seen two grown *** men not be able to finish coldstone...That is what two pieces of Giordanos pizza does to you haha but guess what...It doesn't even matta

I have never seen two grown *** men not be able to finish coldstone...That is what two pieces of Giordanos pizza does to you haha but guess what...It doesn't even matta
We should have given the rest to the crocodile

So are you guys saying the gauntlet should live on?

So are you guys saying the gauntlet should live on?

I am saying that there are two corners to the ledge by my TV above the fireplace and one corner is awfully lonely right now! Would love an opportunity to fill the other corner.

Back