How far do these new drivers really go compaired to the old

Status
Not open for further replies.
I edited my origional thread sorry for the screw up i turned 40 yards into 4yards again sorry

Pretty much changes the whole argument when you increase the gains by a factor of ten, huh?

How far do these new drivers really go compaired to the old

Edit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much changes the whole argument when you increase the gains by a factor of ten, huh?
Consider it a /thread.

Each person is going to hit them a different distance. The newer drivers are providing better dispersion and reducing spin which will help some get added distance since they won't be losing it from ball going to far right or hooking to much. Ball and shaft can have an impact as well.

Agree 1000%!

Grip was too loose
You might want to watch the video again, the average carry distance was 242 vs 281, and the total distance was 268 vs 306. Where are you getting this 4 yards difference claim? Even the longest total drive with the old club was 9 yards shorter than the shortest total drive with the new one. Sounds like the opposite of BS to me.

as my swing has gotten worse [age] i've come to like the larger head but being of the age of persimmon i think that swing for swing the smaller older clubs felt a lot more solid than the clubs of today
my 2 cents

here is the video:

looked to me like there was a 40 yard difference, not 4. His swing speed was 3 mph higher, some of that is the longer shaft. Better smash factor, lower spin, and more forgiveness on the newer club. Certainly the gains from 1997 aren't all bs.

You posted the wrong video shiels tested the 1997 gbb and the "callaway xhot" only 5 yards difference go to the end of the video and shiels says only 5 yards longer

GOLF-est posted was the wrong video... Shiels tested the 1997 GBB and the Callaway Xhot Shiels says at the end of the video there was only a 5 yard difference..

Last edited:
Here is the video:

Looked to me like there was a 40 yard difference, not 4. His swing speed was 3 mph higher, some of that is the longer shaft. Better smash factor, lower spin, and more forgiveness on the newer club. Certainly the gains from 1997 aren't all BS.

GOLF-est posted the wrong video was posted

Last edited:
this thread should just be deleted the op is 100% wrong about distances and just trying to start stuff.

Some peoples kids....

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

GOLF-estposted the wrong video was posted

Last edited:
You sure you watched the video at all? If so...were you drunk? The best carry distance with the old driver was 18 yards shorter than the worst carry distance with the new one. Also, the worst hit with the old driver was 58 (!!!) yards different than the worst with the new GBB. I mean...come on. Where is this 4 more yards number coming from?

GOLF-est posted the wrong video

Last edited:
tHE WRONG VIDEO WAS POSTED

So first it was a number error on your part, and now it's the wrong video? Although the video is the exact one you were talking about? Interesting. Please post the correct video then, as now I'm very curious to see the one with only a 4 yard difference from Rick Shiels testing the difference between these two drivers.

So first it was a number error on your part, and now it's the wrong video? Although the video is the exact one you were talking about? Interesting. Please post the correct video then, as now I'm very curious to see the one with only a 4 yard difference from Rick Shiels testing the difference between these two drivers.

Don't you get.... someone posted the wrong video ..I saw the Shiels video of the 1997 GBB VS Callaway XHOT......GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF 5 YARD DIFFERENCE...SIMPLY GO TO THE END OF THAT VIDEO AND SHIELS SAYS HE COULD ONLY GET 5 MORE YARDS DIFFERRENCE how many f...times do I have to post it..........

Hey bud was the wrong video posted ?

Hey bud was the wrong video posted ?

You know the right type of menbers might have come on and said is this the video you looked at..........no you have a bunch of [ deleted ] come on and jump all over me like I was lying about a stupid test...maybe this isn't the place....

You know the right type of menbers might have come on and said is this the video you looked at..........no you have a bunch of [ deleted ] come on and jump all over me like I was lying about a stupid test...maybe this isn't the place....
So is your point that new technology doesn't work? That might be the case for the average golfer and it might be sales ploy. Or maybe technology really does work and our swings are flawed.

Clearly a difference, we see drive tech has improved over the last 20 years. What would be more interesting to me is back to back tests with model year clubs from 2010-2015 or so. I would bet there would be negligible differences.

I'm so confused here.

It's known that COR is maxed and on dead center shots you won't see a huge difference. Rick Shiels is a good freaking golfer who finds the center of the face quite a bit. Therefore, he won't see massive differences compared to a normal Amateur.

BUT....his latest reviews are showing upwards of 300y carry with new drivers. Sorry to say it but the XHot isn't new nor was it the greatest release from Callaway. It's a good club but the actual new stuff is far better.

This just sounds like a Rick Shiels plug from the OP.

PS - Bye Felicia

Re-reading the thread between the edits & incorrect videos it is quite confusing but in the future if you reference a video you might want to have it embedded or a link to it within your first post

Don't you get.... someone posted the wrong video ..I saw the Shiels video of the 1997 GBB VS Callaway XHOT......GO LOOK FOR YOURSELF 5 YARD DIFFERENCE...SIMPLY GO TO THE END OF THAT VIDEO AND SHIELS SAYS HE COULD ONLY GET 5 MORE YARDS DIFFERRENCE how many f...times do I have to post it..........

First, you're the only one yelling in here. I'm simply asking a question as what you are claiming didn't make sense, and neither did your counter points. If you are going to make claims about a video, why not just post the correct video for everyone to avoid all of this?

Second, does it matter at all which video was posted? The entire purpose of this thread (I think) was to say that new technology is basically all marketing and that it doesn't actually do anything. Well...the "wrong" video that was posted completely says otherwise IMO. 58 yards difference on mishits is huge, and 18 yards between the best hit on the old driver vs the worst hit on the new driver is also huge.

Also; if you only want to say that it's the wrong video once, then multi-quote will be your friend.

So is your point that new technology doesn't work? That might be the case for the average golfer and it might be sales ploy. Or maybe technology really does work and our swings are flawed.

I believe that tech is good but is blown way out of proportion by the unrealistic claims by Mfg.s The massive amount of shafts, heads available today need something to help the golfers ferret out what to spend their hard earned money on...fitting's are way to expensive and not available to everyone...not to mention they are unreliable in some cases..

Re-reading the thread between the edits & incorrect videos it is quite confusing but in the future if you reference a video you might want to have it embedded or a link to it within your first post

No question about that...

I believe that tech is good but is blown way out of proportion by the unrealistic claims by Mfg.s The massive amount of shafts, heads available today need something to help the golfers ferret out what to spend their hard earned money on...fitting's are way to expensive and not available to everyone...not to mention they are unreliable in some cases..

i'll give you that golfers' swings can be flawed enough and lack enough consistency to yield reliable results in a fitting, but i'm not sure i track with you that fittings are "unreliable in some cases." the numbers are the numbers. if i hit my gamer against 3 other combinations, the combination that gives me the best results of the 4 is obviously the way to go.

Jiiim,
As someone that just left your town hosting one heck of a THP Event, and having THPers receive wedges from one of the most iconic club makers in the history of the game, I think that there is something here. Next time we are in the midwest, come on out to a THP Event, we can make it easy for you. Put you on the FlightScope, have you hit a ton of drivers, have you hit many different shafts and then come to the conclusion for you personally what works and what doesnt.

The good news is that nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything. No manufacturer that I know holds guns to heads and says "you need this to live". So if you dont buy it, awesome, enjoy the game with the gear you have. If you want to test out gear, come on out and we will work with you.

The OP watched a video and misunderstood or plain and simple made a mistake about the results of the driver comparisons.

I'm not used to seeing THP'ers jump all over an OP like this. Am I missing something?

Why is everyone jumping all over the guy for a simple mistake?

This is is the kind of stuff I'd expect to see on the other golf forums I used to visit before finding THP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back