2015 Your Proto w/ Wilson Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask questions, absorb as much as humanly possible. But warning these guys a a huge wealth of knowledge, so it may seem like you're drinking from a fire hose, Duffy and the crew are top rate! Enjoy yourself

Drinking from a fire hose eh? Well, I'll get some water and a headache. Seems like a decent deal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man this event is creeping up fast!

So how are all your swings with your irons right now? Getting fit for a whole new set, you're going to want that swing on point.

So how are all your swings with your irons right now? Getting fit for a whole new set, you're going to want that swing on point.

Been working on it almost daily since I found out I was in.

Probably playing the best golf I've ever played. This whole summer has been unreal. Can't wait to see what a set of irons actually fitted to me would do

Largely happy with my iron swings and fundamentals. The longer the club, the more it breaks down recently but I'm working on that as much as possible.

Ask questions, absorb as much as humanly possible. But warning these guys a a huge wealth of knowledge, so it may seem like you're drinking from a fire hose, Duffy and the crew are top rate! Enjoy yourself
This is why I'm still a bit (ok,ok very) jealous of you guys.

I'm very happy with my 6-pw as of right now, it's the long irons that are killing me.

At the range or in the backyard most days of the week, plus sneaking in to hit the C100 demo at the local GS during lunch hour every now and again. I only take the woods/hybrids out of the bag long enough to remember what they look like. I'm playing golf swing right now moreso than golf, since I haven't had much chance to get out and around. But I try to do simulates holes/rounds at the range so I'm not just pounding away, though if I do flush one I'll hit that shot a few more times to see how much of a fluke it was.

So how are all your swings with your irons right now?
I'll admit, right now I'm struggling with a couple of my irons (particularly my 7i, and I don't even have a 6i in the bag). I have been struggling a lot lately, mostly because I think I'm trying too hard. I also think I'm coming in too steep. Worked on it a bit at the range after my round this morning and things felt a bit better when I tried to level the swing off a tad. Definitely got a bit more distance, even if it was a bit off line. Going to hit the range again this evening and see if I can get a bit more work in on it.

Still struggling off the tee, but it's all alignment. Threw down an alignment stick on the tee box of hole #3 and this happened ...

Hole_3.jpg

This sort of stuff drives me crazy, but at least it lets me know the game is there, if I could only take my mind out of the equation. I'd take 220+ yards every time, especially if it put me in the middle of the fairway.

So ... still plenty of work to do, but I'll be in good shape come October 9th.

Still struggling off the tee, but it's all alignment. Threw down an alignment stick on the tee box of hole #3 and this happened ...

View attachment 21887

You would have driven the green if you hadn't hit it through the tops of those trees :smile-big:

People may be curious and confused by a slight unorthodox swing I have but its what's allowing me to make great contact.

My big problem now is distance gapping. There is such a big difference and I need to tighten it up. The gap between clubs is too large and unpredictable.

I'm hoping to pick their brains on club shafts too. I want to understand club shafts a lot more.

Largely happy with my iron swings and fundamentals. The longer the club, the more it breaks down recently but I'm working on that as much as possible.

I feel ya on the club break down. I left driver in the bag this weekend and I hit 85% of fairways with 100% fairways hit on the back 9. I used my 5-wood and was hitting it about as long as my driver. After doing that most of the round I went to grab my driver and it felt so heavy, I just threw it right back in the bag!

Shot an 80 (42-38) and was -2 on holes where I reached greens in regulation.

People may be curious and confused by a slight unorthodox swing I have but its what's allowing me to make great contact.

My big problem now is distance gapping. There is such a big difference and I need to tighten it up. The gap between clubs is too large and unpredictable.

I'm hoping to pick their brains on club shafts too. I want to understand club shafts a lot more.

There are literally TONS of THP TV episodes on shafts that might be a good start including many with the experts that make them.

You would have driven the green if you hadn't hit it through the tops of those trees :smile-big:
Heh. It's not a hard hole (I've birdied it a couple of times) but I'll be darned if I don't wind up IN the trees about 75% of the time I play that hole. It's a freaking magnet for my ball. That hole and #4 (140 yard, par 3 over water) take more of my balls than anywhere else on the course.

I'll admit, right now I'm struggling with a couple of my irons (particularly my 7i, and I don't even have a 6i in the bag). I have been struggling a lot lately, mostly because I think I'm trying too hard. I also think I'm coming in too steep. Worked on it a bit at the range after my round this morning and things felt a bit better when I tried to level the swing off a tad. Definitely got a bit more distance, even if it was a bit off line. Going to hit the range again this evening and see if I can get a bit more work in on it.

View attachment 21887

This sort of stuff drives me crazy, but at least it lets me know the game is there, if I could only take my mind out of the equation. I'd take 220+ yards every time, especially if it put me in the middle of the fairway.

So ... still plenty of work to do, but I'll be in good shape come October 9th.

I think I'm guilty of trying too hard also. Yesterday at the range I just started target focus instead of swinging with 5 different thoughts.
The problem for me is that I've been working with a pro for over a year and while nothing he has taught me is new, there is always something we are revisiting and therefore new swing thoughts enter my mind. I've started to feel what I need to do on my practice swings and then purely focus on swinging to the target on my actual swing.

I think I'm guilty of trying too hard also. Yesterday at the range I just started target focus instead of swinging with 5 different thoughts.
The problem for me is that I've been working with a pro for over a year and while nothing he has taught me is new, there is always something we are revisiting and therefore new swing thoughts enter my mind. I've started to feel what I need to do on my practice swings and then purely focus on swinging to the target on my actual swing.
Swing thoughts ... it's why I hate golf! LOL. I can literally drive myself crazy on the tee box.

You fellas are in for one heck of a good time. Wilson is really excited for this event, and man are you guys gonna have the time of your life.

You fellas are in for one heck of a good time. Wilson is really excited for this event, and man are you guys gonna have the time of your life.

Sounds like you got some scoop. More, please.

I feel ya on the club break down. I left driver in the bag this weekend and I hit 85% of fairways with 100% fairways hit on the back 9. I used my 5-wood and was hitting it about as long as my driver. After doing that most of the round I went to grab my driver and it felt so heavy, I just threw it right back in the bag!

Shot an 80 (42-38) and was -2 on holes where I reached greens in regulation.

I might have to give this a shot this week.

I cannot freaking wait. My irons have been the strong point of my game... well, if you consider any part of it strong! HA!

I have never been professionally fit... is it normal to be a little bit nervous for it? Especially with freaking Duffy.

I have never been professionally fit... is it normal to be a little bit nervous for it? Especially with freaking Duffy.

I think it's normal. I will be....but in a good way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I might have to give this a shot this week.

Funny thing is, I just randomly decided to do it and commit to it. The week before I pulled the 5 wood out in 18. Blasted it, and realize I just hit it as far as I hit some of my longer drives on the hole. Best decision ever. So I followed it up with using it the entire round this past weekend.

Combine hitting my fairway wood in the fairway and having Wilson dial in irons on us, I have high hopes for improvements in my scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back