TaylorMade SLDR Mini Driver Preview

Picked up a 14° from Rock Bottom Golf - figured at these discounted prices why not give it a try, as I have been struggling mightily with my "regular" driver lately. Played a quick 9 this morning without any range time. Must say, I really enjoyed playing with this club. Certainly doesn't cure any of my swing faults, but I was able to keep the ball in play on every tee shot (six total) without a big distance penalty. Usually with my driver I'm good for at least one massive slice out of bounds and several mishits that barely get out there 180. But I think my worst swing this morning was a 200 yard pop up. Sure enough, on the lone par 5 I decided to pull my driver out of the bag and hooked it about 180. I just can't hit the darn thing right now.

So yeah, cautiously optimistic that this might be a more consistent comfort club for me. Just something about it that makes the tee shot less intimidating. Looking forward to experimenting with my ball position / tee height to see if I can get a slightly more penetrating ball flight. As for my driver - not giving up on it yet. I think I'm going to try cutting it down an inch or so and see if that helps any, but maybe we're just not right for each other anymore.

Tried mine off the deck several times today. Really had good success with it. Working well as a 3wood replacement for me so far. Also straight as an arrow off the tee... Now I have pushed it and pulled it a bit, but no slice or draw to it.

Last edited:
Hey, I can pick up a 14* for next to nothing. Is this as long as the Bertha Mini 1.5? If it's not, then I'll probably go for the Bertha.

Edit: I pulled the trigger!

Last edited:
I believe the shaft is longer on the Callaway. The upside is you get adjustability with the loft on the Callaway. I have the SLDR and tried the Callaway, I like the SLDR better for.me.

Oh, okey. That is good news for me! The shorter shaft in the sldr vs the bertha might suit me better since I'm a pretty short guy :)
I will have it on friday, can't wait!

Good choice you'll enjoy it.

What I have learned is just let the loft do the work on the club. I'm now driving it about 15 meters short of my driver. Perfect for tighter holes on my course, use it on about 5 tees each week. Really happy with the 14. Probably could use a stiffer shaft but its just about keeping the tempo right with the regular.

Have fun with it Eklund. Interesting to see such a low handicapper after it over a 3 wood which may be a bit more versatile.

The more I use this club the more I like it.

Just picked up a 14* today. Thanks for all the great feedback that helped me decide to get it. Need a fairway finder on the off driver days.

Looking forward to hearing about your experience with it.

So, I've had this in the bag for a couple of weeks now. And I love it! Averaging about 270 yards (total distance) from tee and it finds a lot of fairways. It's a winner for me.

So, I've had this in the bag for a couple of weeks now. And I love it! Averaging about 270 yards (total distance) from tee and it finds a lot of fairways. It's a winner for me.

Mine comes in today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arg!! Totally pondering this hard!

I've had this club in the bag for 3-4 weeks now and am loving it. A bit shorter off the tee but almost always in the fairway.

I so want one, but I know it's not going to be the panacea for my tee troubles so I won't. Not at this point at least.

Il def leave my review thoughts on here. After my discovery of how controlled my 5-wood is and for a price of $69 on rock bottom I figured it was worth a shot!

All I gotta say is WOW!!!! This mini driver is awesome!!!!! I just can't see a reason to break out my driver. Side by side I was getting roughly the same distances but the mini driver was a way tighter dispersion and incredibly easy to hit

My biggest take away from hitting it...CONFIDENCE and lots of it! I'm not a tall guy (5'8"). The shorter shaft and slightly bigger than fairway wood head just makes you comfortable. If you're a average or better Tee box fairway wood hitter then get this club now!!! You will be in more fairways.

All I gotta say is WOW!!!! This mini driver is awesome!!!!! I just can't see a reason to break out my driver. Side by side I was getting roughly the same distances but the mini driver was a way tighter dispersion and incredibly easy to hit

My biggest take away from hitting it...CONFIDENCE and lots of it! I'm not a tall guy (5'8"). The shorter shaft and slightly bigger than fairway wood head just makes you comfortable. If you're a average or better Tee box fairway wood hitter then get this club now!!! You will be in more fairways.

Looks like you normally game a 10.5* driver. What loft in the Mini did you get ?

Looks like you normally game a 10.5* driver. What loft in the Mini did you get ?

Were you spying on me?! Haha I got it in the 12* with the TP shaft. I got it on rock bottom golf for $69+$9 1-3 day shipping.

Were you spying on me?! Haha I got it in the 12* with the TP shaft. I got it on rock bottom golf for $69+$9 1-3 day shipping.

Heck of a deal

I'm totally talking myself into this one

I'm totally talking myself into this one

I think for the price it's worth the idea of exploring with it. Take a 5-wood and if your comfortable and reliable off the tee with it, then you may like it. The TP shaft does have a slight heavier swing weight which was noticeable conspired to my 5 wood but still felt lighter and more comfortable than the driver.

I'm playing in a scramble this weekend. You can guarantee the mini is going to be my go to club off the tee. I'll let you know how it treats me in live action!

I wish I had liked this club, but I had major issues getting good flight out of it. But I'm definitely the target market for it. I do have a 3 Deep on the way to see if that one fits my swing better.

I think for the price it's worth the idea of exploring with it. Take a 5-wood and if your comfortable and reliable off the tee with it, then you may like it. The TP shaft does have a slight heavier swing weight which was noticeable conspired to my 5 wood but still felt lighter and more comfortable than the driver.

My 5 is my go to off the tee on short/ tight holes. Not crazy about my consistency hence the ponder

After a while with this its out of the bag.

My issue is that it is essentially the same carry as my driver for some reason, and while its more accurate, off the deck is just a bit too unreliable and I've recently played a lot of courses where a 3 wood is a better option for versatility.

Decided that shortening my 3w to deliver more consistency is going to be a better option long term. Its a real shame because I do absolutely love this club, but its carry and roll out in 14 for some weird reason is the same as my driver in 10 degrees...

Back