THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

Mixed tees are not unheard of too.

Most of the events I have been in have been mixed tees actually. I personally love it adds a bit more yardage but keeps it fair. Whatever is done I am sure we are in for a challenging test at this course though

JB does a good job of setting up fair distance for everyone. 61-6400 is a good range to expect.

For those of you that have an experienced a THP event, recount your first tee shot ever at a THP event. If you haven't been in a THP Event, what will you do to control your nerves, trust me there will be nerves.

Hoping to be a THP event noobie. Probably will be nerves simply because I will want to do my best to represent the DMV team and put unnecessary pressure on myself. Will just do what I always do on a first tee shot, try to take a controlled smooth swing that will hopefully avoid all the trouble on the RNK first hole.

Looking at the course again, only the par 3s worry me at all. They're all 5i/6i distance for my current game.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Looking at the course on paper and actually playing the course are two different animals.

I have played this course once before. I played driver off the tee aimed toward the greenside bunker and hit a fade that ended up about 30 yards from the green. If the weather holds out, I will see what happens on Sunday.

I don't even try to decide how I will play the hole based on the yardage book pictures. I will wait to see the hole in person this spring and then decide. Every time I've tried to make a plan based on yardages in the book, you get to the hole and it looks nothing like you pictured it and you change on the spot. Add in that JB will likely throw in some twists on the tees we are playing and there's no sense trying to plan it out.

I saw it happen in the HH Invitational. Everyone was talking about hitting less than driver on the first hole in the thread and then when we got on the tee box, nearly everyone had a driver in their hand.

I don't even try to decide how I will play the hole based on the yardage book pictures. I will wait to see the hole in person this spring and then decide. Every time I've tried to make a plan based on yardages in the book, you get to the hole and it looks nothing like you pictured it and you change on the spot. Add in that JB will likely throw in some twists on the tees we are playing and there's no sense trying to plan it out.

I saw it happen in the HH Invitational. Everyone was talking about hitting less than driver on the first hole in the thread and then when we got on the tee box, nearly everyone had a driver in their hand.

Yep, overhead pictures like this don't really show the elevations and the size of the hills in front of you. Strategy may also depend on how you are hitting the ball that day.

On hole one... Don't miss the fairway right by much.. You will not find the ball, or you will not have a pleasant lie.

Except, IIRC Spicoli.

Yeah, I can imagine. Trying not to psyche myself out too quickly. :bulgy-eyes:
Looking at the course on paper and actually playing the course are two different animals.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Except, IIRC Spicoli.

I don't think I've ever even seen him hit a driver off any 1st tee. To be honest, if I could hit a long iron like he does, I probably wouldn't hit driver either.

I've looked at courses before and tried to play it out in my mind before hand how I will play the course. But when I arrive all that goes to the wayside and I shoot from the hip. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok some of you have yet to play in an offiicial THP Event. So here's the 1st hole at Royal New Kent, looking at this how would you play your tee shot, what club, what shape, fade draw, worm burner, stinger..etc.

Let's assume its the White Tees.

Me I'm probably hitting driver, with a bit of a fade, and if all goes well, I'll be to the right of that mound and hopefully far enough way from it that I will have a clear shot to the green. I'm guessing if I have my usual 220 drive, I'll have about 140 to 150 in for the 2nd shot.

hole1.jpg
Depending on how it looks from the tee, I would either play my driver or 4 iron. Most likely the driver though. I'd aim for the area that sticks out into the fairway and either go over it or to the right. Anywhere 150 in is a pretty good distance for me, so no matter what I'd be in a pretty good spot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Most of the events I have been in have been mixed tees actually. I personally love it adds a bit more yardage but keeps it fair. Whatever is done I am sure we are in for a challenging test at this course though

I don know that on their score card they recommend tees based on avg score shot instead of other factors. No matter what tees it will be fun.

Rough on the course is bad and in July it will be very thick and about waist high.

And to think in just a few weeks they will set all the brush on fire to burn it down. If you play after that it looks like a golf ball grave yard, with thousands of half burnt golf balls.

And to think in just a few weeks they will set all the brush on fire to burn it down. If you play after that it looks like a golf ball grave yard, with thousands of half burnt golf balls.

Shows how tough this course can play and that if a ball goes into the rough, you probably won't find it.

It's 7 January, 6 months and 2 days ahead of the event and I'm "jonesing" for teams to be picked already. Love the anticipation for the event, but hate it at the same time. I want to know! Even if I'm not in, at least I'll know and be able to sleep better at night. LOL

I don know that on their score card they recommend tees based on avg score shot instead of other factors. No matter what tees it will be fun.

How many Pro V1s? :alien:

How many Pro V1s? :alien:

Enough to make you pick them up hoping they are still intact.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

It's 7 January, 6 months and 2 days ahead of the event and I'm "jonesing" for teams to be picked already. Love the anticipation for the event, but hate it at the same time. I want to know! Even if I'm not in, at least I'll know and be able to sleep better at night. LOL
I am sure business will pick up soon. With captains picks people truly control their own destiny though. Make it so Kevin or I has no other choice than to pick you because of the extra effort you put forth. It does not go unnoticed trust me.

I am sure business will pick up soon. With captains picks people truly control their own destiny though. Make it so Kevin or I has no other choice than to pick you because of the extra effort you put forth. It does not go unnoticed trust me.

Absolutely dude. Those pick will be tough enough.

I have already marked busy for that weekend in my calendar. :)

Most of the events I have been in have been mixed tees actually. I personally love it adds a bit more yardage but keeps it fair.
Remember The Bear Trap on Sunday at The Bridgestone Championship? No mixing those, he tipped it out for us...and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Back