Do you have a saying to keep you focused?

Maddog701

Reaction score
Handicap
14.2 ghin
I have found a new saying to help me control my swing. I now say to myself at address, "smooth is fast". It has helped me focus on staying smooth and keeping my swing from getting to quick. It has work, just last night six4three5 said I swinging the smoothest he has seen all year.

Looking forward to seeing what other sayings people use!

i said "Lydia Ko" yesterday to groove an easier tempo. it worked on the first nine. on the second nine i goofed off, experimented, and had a lousy short game. blowout.

I tend to tell myself "make a good solid swing" and then think about the feel of a good strike

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

When I start losing it, "the most important shot, is the one in front of you". Not the last one or that bad bogey two holes back. Keeps me focused and from dwelling on mistakes

Soft hands, fast hips. My swing tends to go a lot better when I'm not trying to aim the club, so keeping my hands soft and making sure my hips lead the downswing produces the best results. So I tend to tell myself, "Soft hands, fast hips."

I have found a new saying to help me control my swing. I now say to myself at address, "smooth is fast". It has helped me focus on staying smooth and keeping my swing from getting to quick. It has work, just last night six4three5 said I swinging the smoothest he has seen all year.

Looking forward to seeing what other sayings people use!

I think something similar to your saying with 'Keep it smooth' and I usually find that by doing this I stop trying to hit the ball as hard as I can and trust the club to hit the ball the yardages I know

No saying just a rhythm count I work on in the practice swing and on the range. It's a Clint my instructor gave me. One (start backswing) one thousand (top of backswing) two (contact).

"The Last Shot Is Over" that is what I say to myself regularly and it helps me focus on what's ahead as I head to my ball.

Aim small. Miss small.

And then "think" low and slow on the takeaway.

My last thought at address is similar--just one word, SMOOTH. Often during the shot, I'll use TICK, TOCK, especially if my transition has gotten a little too quick. It's to try to keep the speed on the back swing (TICK), the same as the down swing (TOCK). I've been heard saying it out loud when my swing is really out of kilter. ;)

Complete your backswing!! If I follow this I usually will hit a decent shot. If not, all bets are off!!!

Typically I count off a tempo that I want so things stay smooth and controlled. But when things get way off the rails, I start singing a song in my head once I'm lined up - it makes me stop the negative thoughts and swing thoughts to bandaid things and just swing. It works most times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stay down, fata**".

No saying just a rhythm count I work on in the practice swing and on the range. It's a Clint my instructor gave me. One (start backswing) one thousand (top of backswing) two (contact).

Similar to this, I use... One.... and....two !

But sometimes it ends up being more like... Shigeki...doh!...Maruyama... :bulgy-eyes:

"swing like you mean it"

When I need to focus I will think of a blank piece of paper.

Redemption

Soft hands, fast hips. My swing tends to go a lot better when I'm not trying to aim the club, so keeping my hands soft and making sure my hips lead the downswing produces the best results. So I tend to tell myself, "Soft hands, fast hips."
This works for the wife too, I bet.

I don't repeat anything to myself but I always tell my playing partners 'put a good move on it'

Will usually tell myself to "Finish my shot" this is especially true on wedge shots because I have a tendency to rush or decelerate thru contact. When I hit my fairway woods off the deck I will say to myself "Sweep it" which basically just means to focus on a longer swing. Putting I will talk to myself as I am walking up to the ball and usually say about making a confident stroke

I have no problem staying focu...

HEY LOOK! There is an airplane!!!

Win this hole. Its the only one that matters.

Back