TaylorMade M1 Driver Review Thread

A buddy of mine (who works for TM) texted me Saturday to tell me he as the M1 430 & 460 in hands now. So, in the next few weeks when our schedules jive, I'll be getting fitted & comparing it against the R15 430 I'm currently gaming. I'll come back to this thread & post my thoughts & numbers if anyone is interested in seeing that...

For what it's worth, I LOVE my R15, so I'm really curious to see how they'll compare and/or how much better the M1 could possibly be.

first time i've heard someone reference the forgiveness of the SLDR being a positive trait.

He's not alone. I found mine pretty forgiving as well. I didn't have the stock shaft in it FWIW.

I don't find the SLDRs unforgiving. Yeah the weight is set and fixed forward but I lofted up to 14. The M1 obviously has more adjustability with the weight forward or back or anywhere in-between.

I think I finally gave up on taylormade with the SLDR. I have owned every single taylormade driver they have made since the r580 (always bought them used) and for my money the best they've ever made was the original RBZ Tour. I'll always keep one in rotation, the r15 was nice but nothing better for me than the SLDR, which was just not forgiving enough.

first time i've heard someone reference the forgiveness of the SLDR being a positive trait.
I think it depends on the miss for me it is not that bad but my miss is vertical not horizontal

With the SLDR hitting out on the toe there was a definite lack of forgiveness, lot of loss of ball speed. The result was always short but in bounds for me so I was able to handle it, didn't lose many shots out of bounds. One area I thought it was pretty good though was vertical. high on the face but in the horizontal center was plenty long and forgiving, better than the R15 is. The R15 is more forgiving laterally than the SLDR for me. I really want to hit the M1 now. I don't need another new driver but that hasn't stopped me before.

TaylorMade posted a collage on Instagram today that shows their tour players holding up the m1 to show what position their sliding weights are in. I was surprised to see that a majority of them have the high/low weight in the high (back) position. In fact, Justin Rose was the only one to have his all the way forward.

TaylorMade posted a collage on Instagram today that shows their tour players holding up the m1 to show what position their sliding weights are in. I was surprised to see that a majority of them have the high/low weight in the high (back) position. In fact, Justin Rose was the only one to have his all the way forward.
Weird right.

That surprises me.

A lot of that will depend on the loft setting. Rickie Fowler will change his flip weight depending on the driver loft setting. Right now he has the weight forward for a lower flight but lofted up from a 9.5 to a 10.5

The other thing I notice is all but one seem to have 460 models

See mark crossfield video on YouTube he actually had lower spin with weight back. Left me with a big question mark about whether it was making much of a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After seeing Jason Day's numbers on Twitter, it doesn't surprise me at all. He was showing 1773 spin... With spin that low, you gotta loft up, or move the weight back, or both to maximize carry. By the way, he's had 330+ carry, 360+ total on a 14* launch.

Really do want to hit this one, and really want to get it on monitor.

I have no problem admitting being very curious.

After seeing Jason Day's numbers on Twitter, it doesn't surprise me at all. He was showing 1773 spin... With spin that low, you gotta loft up, or move the weight back, or both to maximize carry. By the way, he's had 330+ carry, 360+ total on a 14* launch.
That..is...filthy..

When you have really high ball speed and good launch, you don't need as much spin

When you have really high ball speed and good launch, you don't need as much spin

And Day hits the ball high, even for the guys on tour - at least that's according to the last few broadcasts I've seen.

Funny in that picture that 5/8 have that weight pushed all the way back. They must be hackers.

And Day hits the ball high, even for the guys on tour - at least that's according to the last few broadcasts I've seen.

He has no problem hitting it over trees and small skyscrapers.

Funny in that picture that 5/8 have that weight pushed all the way back. They must be hackers.

I bet they have it lofted up to 11 or 12 too.

He has no problem hitting it over trees and small skyscrapers.

I bet they have it lofted up to 11 or 12 too.
Depending on JDAY AoA he may not need to loft up to 11 or 12. Given his spin rate i would guess AoA is positive. With a launch of 14* it wouldn't shock me if he was hitting a 10.5 or lower

Using me as an example, my R15 is at 10.5 and I launch at 16* with around 1600 rpm and my AoA is around +2 or up occasionally reaching +5. I was for sure I would need to loft up, but trackman proved it wasn't necessary.

Depending on JDAY AoA he may not need to loft up to 11 or 12. Given his spin rate i would guess AoA is positive. With a launch of 14* it wouldn't shock me if he was hitting a 10.5 or lower

Using me as an example, my R15 is at 10.5 and I launch at 16* with around 1600 rpm and my AoA is around +2 or up occasionally reaching +5. I was for sure I would need to loft up, but trackman proved it wasn't necessary.

JDay could probably hit a 7 degree driver higher than most people do. It's stupid how quickly that ball gets up and keeps going. Also, don't change a thing about those numbers. Those are equally stupid haha

JDay could probably hit a 7 degree driver higher than most people do. It's stupid how quickly that ball gets up and keeps going. Also, don't change a thing about those numbers. Those are equally stupid haha

No Kidding - I thoroughly enjoyed watching The Milk Man hit his drive on the first tee in Savannah.

This one keeps getting in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one keeps getting in my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sincerely intrigued by this offering, especially looking at the collage posted earlier of the 8 staffers back weight locations.

Once we get a demo at work, I plan to spend an entire lunch hogging the LM and seeing what I can do against my current gamer. Still not sold on the front weights effectiveness, but the back weight we have seen now from several companies.

Back