Playing Into Direct Sunlight

Reaction score
Handicap
I like to play early in the AM. This presents visibility problems on East-facing teeboxes where I'm hitting towards the rising sun. I often play alone so I don't have a partner around to help keep track of the ball.

What do you guys do in these situations? Tee it up, rip it and hope you can find it? Find a shady (if possible and permissible under the rules) spot on the tee box? Club down considerably to ensure that the ball is at least fairly close?

Curious how ya'll handle it... thanks

I can't spot my ball half the time regardless, but shooting into the sun is definitely not fun. I have a pair of polarized sunglasses I wear on those holes, and it helps contrast that little white flying thing in the bright sky

hahaha so funny you posted this, as I just had an issue last night on the 8th hole of my course. Blinded by the setting sun, I faded one OB (I don't fade).

I simply can't hit into a blinding sun. It's weird.

I hit normally and hope I hit fairway/green. I can usually tell how well I hit it and judge which direction it could have gone and go from there. Turns into a treasure hunt sometimes though

That situation is hard enough when you have people playing with you. Sucks when you're alone. Just gotta hit it and hope you can figure out where it went.

Yellow or orange ball. Might be easier to spot, as long as you're looking in the proper landing area. Only other option is to wear sunglasses and see if that helps at all when teeing off and trying to track in the air. Otherwise, really no way around it.

I usually have sunglasses, but of course in direct sunlight they dont do as much. I, along with those who have already posted, just kind of swing and hope its going where i think it is. I do have a funny habit of losing balls in the middle of the fairway though...

Pull the hat brim low and polarized sunglasses.

caddyshack-chevy-chase.jpg

I usually have sunglasses, but of course in direct sunlight they dont do as much. I, along with those who have already posted, just kind of swing and hope its going where i think it is. I do have a funny habit of losing balls in the middle of the fairway though...
I'm that guy too, wandering aimlessly around the middle of the fairway

I like to play early in the AM. This presents visibility problems on East-facing teeboxes where I'm hitting towards the rising sun. I often play alone so I don't have a partner around to help keep track of the ball.

What do you guys do in these situations? Tee it up, rip it and hope you can find it? Find a shady (if possible and permissible under the rules) spot on the tee box? Club down considerably to ensure that the ball is at least fairly close?

Curious how ya'll handle it... thanks

Just go for it, you can't see anything so you'll hit more straight :)

The main problem for me when playing early AM rounds and the sun is hitting my eyes is that I try to look faster after the ball...if I just forget about trying to look after it I'm always in the middle.

Sunglasses, try to make sure not to overswing and can usually tell which direction the ball went and then look in general area based on how well the ball was struck

I wear sunglasses so I normally do not have this problem, trying wearing some to see if it helps.

Had this happened to me over the weekend, playing a round late in the day. 18 faced into the west and the sun was absolutely blinding - even with polarized sunglasses. Went by more of the feel of the swing and it took a few extra minutes but was finally able to find my ball and continue on.

I always wear sunglasses when I play, mostly due to eye irritation after hours of work in front of the computer.

I know that sounds weird, but it's working. I guess the older I grow the drier my eyes get, to the point where I can barely open them without irritation after hours in front of the laptop. I started using sunglasses every time I go out in direct sunlight, and now the tendency for irritation is gone.

That said, I always try to swing through and finish the shot because my tendency is to quit on the shot when I'm facing towards the sun.

Iplay twilight a lot & often have this problem ... all you can do is lift your head prematurely & try to follow the ball for the first split second off the club face - at least you'll know which side of the fairway its on.

We have the same problem playing in the evenings this time of year hitting into the setting sun. I rarely play alone, so we watch for each other, but if alone, I just pull the bill of my hat as low as possible and go at it.

Playing Into Direct Sunlight

I've had the same problem playing in the mornings on certain holes. Tried hard, polarized glasses, nothing seems to do it for me. I just hit it and guess where it went, and start walking that way. 3 years ago I almost hit a hole in 1 and had no idea. Their was a course worker waiting to move cup locations for he day, and when I got down to the hole he was like "nice shot dude". I had no idea, lol

Grip it and rip it! One thing I focus on is something Henri eluded to and that's to make sure I stay down, I'm not going to see it anyway so I always make sure to stay down on it.

I play solo alot in the late afternoon so I get the setting sun.....I wear shades and pull the hat down and still that's not enough sometimes

I have this issue in the mornings. I try to base the ball location on feel off the driver. Does not always work.
Sometimes I just hit a provisional, just in case.

Now that I'm old and supposedly wise, I only play in the shade and downwind...hope that helps:)

Sometimes it's so blinding I can't see where the fairway is. It depends upon what time sunrise is and the way the hole faces. I'll start in the middle, but it could have gone left, or right.

What really sucks is when you're playing by yourself and you lose it immediately after you hit. You don't have a clue where it went. You heard solid contact, but where did it go?

I guess one solution on these holes is to play a 7 iron off the tee. That way you know it didn't go that far off line. It didn't go that far, but you're not in a penalty situation either.

We don't have sun in Ireland

Back