2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This just happened...

ef58555aeb0ab663a6566b3fc1d8e4bd.jpg

Assuming I don't drink a ton of water overnight, I think I'm where I need to be, and I can't thank you all enough for the guidance and support to make it possible. Truly, you all mean the world to me, and we've only just begun.
Boom!! F**k yeah buddy, congrats! Love that you said it's only the beginning too, it'll be a great motivator moving forward and on to Neb v3. For now, reward yourself with something haha

K cool just making sure. Thanks
Just so I understand, when was the "chest up" part happening? Before the press as you're grasping the bar?

Just so I understand, when was the "chest up" part happening? Before the press as you're grasping the bar?
I'll be doing some later so I'll come back in to confirm but I feel like right before I actually press up, my chest points up a little bit. Am I trying to help it up in a bad way or something? I look forwards

I'll be doing some later so I'll come back in to confirm but I feel like right before I actually press up, my chest points up a little bit. Am I trying to help it up in a bad way or something? I look forwards
I like using a hip bump forward and actively using the recoil to help push the bar up. This is not the same thing as leaning back. From the bottom of the press, flex and tighten your abs and quads. From there, against the tension, push your hips forward as fast and far as you can. Then very quickly feel the rebound back from that bump. That rebound should make the bar jump. Feel that jump and push up and pull your hips back (or head under the bar, both sensations will do the samething). There is going to be a little lean back. If you're noticing this lean back, actively pull your hips back. Remember, the press is completed with you're standing straight up with the weight locked out and shrugged up above the shoulder joint, not just above your head.

I like using a hip bump forward and actively using the recoil to help push the bar up. This is not the same thing as leaning back. From the bottom of the press, flex ajd tighten your abs and quads. From there, against the tension, push your hips forward as fast and far as you can. Then very quickly feel the rebound back from that bump. That rebound should make the bar jump. Feel that jump and push up and pull your hips back (or head under the bar, both sensations will do the samething). There is going to be a little lean back. If you're noticing this lean back, actively pull your hips back. Remember, the press is completed with you're standing straight up with the weight locked out and shrugged up above the shoulder joint, not just above your head.
K ill try that. Could just be mental and I think I'm leaning back more than I am, my presses feel pretty good.

K ill try that. Could just be mental and I think I'm leaning back more than I am, my presses feel pretty good.
Your body will naturally balance the bar. The slower you rebound from the bump, the more you will lean back. It's a fast motion.

So 3 weeks ago I had a pretty good arm/shoulder workout all body weight using the TRX. The next day painting my arm around the right delt started hurting pretty bad. By the end of the day I was getting shooting pains from the shoulder down to my finger tips and had numbness. I figured I had pinched a nerve somehow. Took a week off and then tried working out again. Did some pull ups and felt it in the middle of my bicep. Felt like I had been punched right in the middle. Then it hurt to lock my arm out and the sharp pain would come back here and there. I think it could be a slight tear of the bicep. Anyone have ideas?

Your body will naturally balance the bar. The slower you rebound from the bump, the more you will lean back. It's a fast motion.
The bump and rebound in the press is the move I struggle with the most of all the lifts, which I think is why I struggle the most with presses.

The bump and rebound in the press is the move I struggle with the most of all the lifts, which I think is why I struggle the most with presses.
Tighten your quads and abs when you do it. Keep them as tight as you can get them. That tightness makes the rebound more prevelant

On monday, I will try to make a press specific video explaining this "bump".

Tighten your quads and abs when you do it. Keep them as tight as you can get them. That tightness makes the rebound more prevelant
I try that, but I think it might be a timing thing or a coordination thing where I bump but don't press at the right point so don't get the benefit of the bump. Look forward to the video.

So 3 weeks ago I had a pretty good arm/shoulder workout all body weight using the TRX. The next day painting my arm around the right delt started hurting pretty bad. By the end of the day I was getting shooting pains from the shoulder down to my finger tips and had numbness. I figured I had pinched a nerve somehow. Took a week off and then tried working out again. Did some pull ups and felt it in the middle of my bicep. Felt like I had been punched right in the middle. Then it hurt to lock my arm out and the sharp pain would come back here and there. I think it could be a slight tear of the bicep. Anyone have ideas?
What was your workout like? Specific movements?

How far do you lay back?

I try that, but I think it might be a timing thing or a coordination thing where I bump but don't press at the right point so don't get the benefit of the bump. Look forward to the video.
Will the bad calf, I won't be using a real heavy weight, but I can fix the bump issues nonetheless.

Will the bad calf, I won't be using a real heavy weight, but I can fix the bump issues nonetheless.
I'm sure whatever you do will help, worried about form, not seeing your massive presses.

I also need to check out Rip's video on it, I started watching it but the kids interrupted me.

I'm sure whatever you do will help, worried about form, not seeing your massive presses.

I also need to check out Rip's video on it, I started watching it but the kids interrupted me.
Damn kids. Daddy's after gainzzz.

Home early, time for some squaaaats. Loving the feel of these damn shoes
44d69dec22efdf900191cdf7d1966a28.jpg

My quads are on fire, Joe is there something with a raised heel engaging the quads more? Felt it a bit the other night when I first tried them and now I'm really feeling it.

My quads are on fire, Joe is there something with a raised heel engaging the quads more? Felt it a bit the other night when I first tried them and now I'm really feeling it.

Yessir. That's exactly what happens. are you looking up when you squat?

Yessir. That's exactly what happens. are you looking up when you squat?
Ok cool, the difference is quite significant haha. No not looking up, I look at the bottom of our elliptical that's straight in front of me about 10-12 ft or so.

I ended up putting a mirror in front of me and did some presses. I don't lean back anywhere like I thought haha.

Hit a couple pr's today which was cool. I plan on increasing weight and lowering reps but I've been getting some real nice workouts in with 8-10 reps so I've kinda been going with it on certain days.

My squats hit 150 - 1x8, 2x5
Deads 155 - 3x8
Press 80 - 3x10

Still pretty pathetic in terms of overall strength for a guy 6'3 lol but im progressing nicely and happy to see the weights going up after just a few months. No idea what my lower rep maxes are but for now im just happy to be able to steadily increase and still rep pretty high. Like I said I plan on lowering that down but I feel like im still sort of feeling things out as a newb. Know what I mean? I don't want to slap on some crazy weight and hurt myself because my form sucked or something so anyhoo im steadily going up and concentrating on form. May sound stupid but I honestly feel like these shoes have improved things for me. Got a wicked workout this afternoon and certain areas were hit way harder than before. My squat depth felt real low and stable. Did my deads in them too and didnt see any negatives. The heel doesnt feel drastic like some of the reviews had me thinking. I didnt bench the other night but today I did and I actually liked the feel of them for that too. Felt like I could really drive my feet but the squats felt just awesome. No squish or slide to one side and I didnt tip forwards or backwards, im freaking planted and it's a great feeling.

Also been going back and forth with high and low bar squats and for awhile I felt like high bar was the best because it seemed easier to set the bar but it was getting kinda uncomfortable with heavier weights so today I spent time to find and really dial in that lower position. I was scared before that the bar would slide right off my back but once I really dug in and hit that "shelf" the bar stayed put and I was able to do my heaviest weight ever for reps and still feel comfortable. That was a f##k yeah moment lol

Last edited:
Go low bar. The bar rests on dense muscle tissue and away from bone. High bar, those pesky vertebrae are in the way

Go low bar. The bar rests on dense muscle tissue and away from bone. High bar, those pesky vertebrae are in the way
Definitely will now. Just seemed tricky at first because the area wasnt very defined and I was afraid of dropping it but after finding it and trying it, it felt very good. Much less pressure it seemed and I actually felt like I was in a better position coming back up.

Definitely will now. Just seemed tricky at first because the area wasnt very defined and I was afraid of dropping it but after finding it and trying it, it felt very good. Much less pressure it seemed and I actually felt like I was in a better position coming back up.
Yes yes and yes. Getting your thumbs on top of the bar will also help.

Yes yes and yes. Getting your thumbs on top of the bar will also help.
For sure, had my thumbs on top from the start. Feels good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back