The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that move and I are bedfellows at the moment too. Ugh.

I'll remedy it, but I hate when I let myself fall back into that crap.

Going to go talk to a couple different teaching pros this weekend and change things up. New eyes and thoughts aren't at all a bad thing.

Our close friend and brother in Orlando has some great drills.

Our close friend and brother in Orlando has some great drills.
Always, and thank God I'll get some. Panda range time next weekend too.

I have stopped using my lower body in the swing. Its frustrating as hell too because I was literally playing the best golf of my life 3 weeks ago.

With that, I've fallen back to letting my swing get too long. A never ending battle for me it seems.

Back to work today though. Will fix it, hopefully before next Saturday....and before my HCP gets any higher.

I feel your pain. I battle the long swing constantly and it's frustrating.

I have stopped using my lower body in the swing. Its frustrating as hell too because I was literally playing the best golf of my life 3 weeks ago.

With that, I've fallen back to letting my swing get too long. A never ending battle for me it seems.

Back to work today though. Will fix it, hopefully before next Saturday....and before my HCP gets any higher.

The important part is that you noticed it, and are going to fix it. #ConstantImprovement

I read this occasionally and the consensus that I see is people trying a new tip every range session on this thread.There is a multidude of great lady/men golf teaching professionals waiting to help some of you. I highly advise it, trying a new tip here or there will not get you very far.

I hit a small bucket this morning before work, trying to focus on tempo. I feel like I've been reverting back to "kill the ball" mode lately, so I mostly just hit 9i thinking about a smooth transition. Worked well for the most part, as once I started doing that my fat shots stopped. I lost a little bit of distance (maybe 5-7 yards) but my shots were so much straighter. Pulled the 7i towards the end and it worked well there too. Thinking about taking a long lunch tomorrow if I can wrap up some paperwork early and heading to a local executive course for more iron & short game practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the prowl for an instructor this off season. Really going to spend the time needed to get the game at least back to where it was before...if not better

The THP Range/Practice Thread

I started off at the short game area hitting 50 yard shots. The first 50 balls from my shag bag I tried to learn a new technique for hitting low spinning shots that stop. They were just OK. Then I went to my regular Peltz technique with the next 50 balls from my bag. It was better but not good enough. Then I started getting the shanks. I got mad and left.

From there I went to the range and worked on 8 iron and PW shots to specific targets. That was decent but not as good as I would like.

I used my last 10 or so balls to pretend play specific holes on a course I'll be playing shortly. That went pretty well.

Last edited:
On the prowl for an instructor this off season. Really going to spend the time needed to get the game at least back to where it was before...if not better

There is a guy at Hammock Dunes that is ready to fix you.

There is a guy at Hammock Dunes that is ready to fix you.
Wonder if i can work remotely for a few months (despite him saying it would only take a weekend i think thats crazy talk)

Wonder if i can work remotely for a few months (despite him saying it would only take a weekend i think thats crazy talk)

It would take a single weekend, guaranteed.

It would take a single weekend, guaranteed.
Maybe he will move up here afterwards to help make sure the bad habits dont creep back in.

Plus NE ohio is unbelievably similar to where he is

I am running into problems on course, not thinking that I can make it over/under certain obstacles, mainly trees.

Sure wish there was someplace on my ranges where i could drop some balls behind a tree, and see how close I can be to it before I can't get the ball up/over.

Prime example today, 100 yards to the green, huge tree about 30 yards in front of me. Hit 56* because I needed to get over it, but wasn't close to getting the distance I needed to hit the green. Probably could have hit DW/PW, maybe even a 9 iron and still made it over, but have a situation like this very rarely. No option to go under, and going to the side was a losing proposition.

I am running into problems on course, not thinking that I can make it over/under certain obstacles, mainly trees.

Sure wish there was someplace on my ranges where i could drop some balls behind a tree, and see how close I can be to it before I can't get the ball up/over.

Prime example today, 100 yards to the green, huge tree about 30 yards in front of me. Hit 56* because I needed to get over it, but wasn't close to getting the distance I needed to hit the green. Probably could have hit DW/PW, maybe even a 9 iron and still made it over, but have a situation like this very rarely. No option to go under, and going to the side was a losing proposition.

Practice rounds, buddy. That's when I get the bulk of my bunker work in, and work on issues with trees. Don't know if you have a course that tends to have certain times when they're deserted, I have a 9 hole course with a few par 4s and plenty of bunkers that's usually deserted after 3pm near me that I go to in order to practice on the course conditions. Plus there's an executive course that's $12 to walk 9 holes about 10 minutes from my office, that's another place where I can work on my short game & bunker escapes for pretty much the price of a large bucket at the range. I'll take a long lunch (90 mins) once every other week or so just to get out there.

I get a lot of short game and bunker work done at the range, but its tough on course for me to get out and mess around around trees etc.

Not a ton of empty time at the courses here (mainly due to the short season, if it is nice, the course is busy).

Definitely need to get out on some less than ideal days when the course should be less full.

I reintroduced myself to the net in the garage, it's been awhile.

I reintroduced myself to the net in the garage, it's been awhile.

Have to say I just moved mine back to the basement. Time to restore the golf man cave for winter month play.

Went to the range to work on my driver. I'm still undecided which shaft I like best. The good news is after a round of a lot of slices, I realized I was overswinging and hitting off my back leg. So was able to fix that.

I'm also setting up a lot more over the ball, as opposed to standing straight up posture wise and that is giving me a lot crisper contact with my irons and hybrids.

Maybe he will move up here afterwards to help make sure the bad habits dont creep back in.

Plus NE ohio is unbelievably similar to where he is

I was thinking the same thing. Hammock Dunes in Palm Coast is just like CleveTopia.

I was thinking the same thing. Hammock Dunes in Palm Coast is just like CleveTopia.
Yeah Identical! A little slice of paradise in each place. Seems like a weekend is doable got one in mind. :)

I had the best range session this morning that I can remember. The only thing that wasn't really good was long irons, which were short and just okay directionally. Otherwise irons, hybrid, FW, Driver...all just really solid. I also spent a good amount of time working on partial shots to targets at 40, 55, 75 and 95, and even that was pretty dang good. I'm very happy.

Last edited:
I had the best range session this morning that I can remember. The only thing that wasn't really good was long irons, which were short and just okay directionally. Otherwise irons, hybrid, FW, Driver...all just really solid. I also spent a good amount of time working on partial shots to targets at 40, 55, 75 and 95, and even that was pretty dang good. I'm very happy.
That is awesome to hear Frank,I really enjoyed watching your swing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Ended up at the range this afternoon, with the wife in tow.

"What do you want to do on your day off" I asked.
"Lets go to the range" she said.

A couple buckets, and time spent at the practice green. Really love that she wants to get more into golf!

That is awesome to hear Frank,I really enjoyed watching your swing.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Thank you but this literally made me LOL. Whenever I see my swing on tape I look for a place to throw up :)

Last edited:
2 hours of putting today, followed by an hour hitting 5i and d.

for putting, I put tees 3' behind the hole, then paced off 9', 18', 21', and 30' and hit 12 putts from each location. I kept "score," with missed putts beyond the hole but inside 3' counting for 0, made putts counting for birdie, and short or long past 3' putts counting for bogey. my first run I was -2 from 9', +3 from 18', +5 from 21', and +6 from 30'. do you think I have issues?!!!! I steadily improved each round, going through the full round 10 times. what I found was that I putted best with no alignment aid on the ball (although I won't go away from this), that I need to exaggerate my bend at the waist, that I putt best when my backswing thought is to keep the face pointed at the ball, and when I just let the ball get in the way of the stroke with no hit.

then onto the range. it was bad. I was tired and hung over from a night of cfb and wine, and my back was bothering me. I need to get those swings out of my mind, or something bad may find its way into what has otherwise been some good golf recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back