Golf may be over for me>>

parsaver

Reaction score
Handicap
Jut over a month ago I blowout my back and this has been one of the most painful things I have done. I am so paranoid of doing this again I may quit playing after 58 years of golf. I'll have sone rehab to do one my back and will have an MRI next week. Golf has been such a positive force in my life the thought of quitting is depressing. After the MRI I'll discuss playing with my doctors.

I did the wrong thing and started w/o any warm up. The day was on the cool side and i should have warmed up like you are supposed to so I did this to myself. :banghead:

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the docs can get you playing again.

Definitely wishing you the best.

Hoping for a positive outcome.

Don't give up yet. I know how hard it is to do but stay patient and let your body heal.

Let's get with the program!

Prescription I have followed:

Once a month 1.5 hr massage from a licensed therapist. I have a former NHL therapist.

Prescription for muscle relaxants (I've weened myself off)

Stretch daily for 15 minutes - you do have 15 minutes for yourself, don't you?

Teeter Board (inversion)

Dragon Ice from Jack Black before and after round

Get a hand held massager for in between the masseuse visits.

Workout - exercise bike and/or rower - warm up for 5 minutes, then do 10 more minutes - just 15 more minutes. You do have some time to take care of yourself. You are worth it, as is your golf game.

Do it.

In case of emergency, I haven't tried it but others have - chiropractor

Happened to me. Listen to the docs and if surgery is prescribed consider it seriously. Do your homework and listen to your gut though. I gave up 10 years of golf and put off surgery. After a C5 - C7 fusion I was right back at it. Only regret is the 10 years of golf I gave up. Point of reference, I am almost 55. Good luck sir!

JM

Sorry to hear about your injury and pulling for you to get a good prognosis and plan (if needed). I know all to well that getting old isn't fun but there are some real good docs out there. Think positive!!

Take it easy, do what the doc suggests, be consistent with your rehab. You'll be back better than ever!

Bummer. I have dealt with years of back pain and it’s miserable. Hope you a have a speedy and full recovery.

Take it slow and get better soon! Take care of you first then golf later!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang in there. It's amazing how fast the body can heal if you do the right treatments. I hope you're consulting with medical professionals who understand your goals.

FWIW, I'm about 3 weeks into a 6 month recovery. It's a slow process but I'll be golfing next summer.

You're too young to say never again.

Do the rehab the Doctor gives you. Bodies heal faster than you think.

I'm laying here with two fractures in my lower leg and a rebuilt lower knee after a car accident. Every day I'm stretching my leg as per instructions and every day I am getting more and more knee bend with less pain. Its been 3 weeks since surgery, the Dr's are saying mid January until I can walk unaided and mid March before I'll be golfing. That day will come but more important is walking unaided, pain free with enough movement to get back to work.

Sorry to hear that, what a sucky deal. Just listen to the docs and hopefully they'll get you fixed up quick!

Hang in there. Turning 50 (or over 50) and sports are an iffy proposition. As Desmond pointed out, take time for yourself and heal properly. I've learned as I've gotten older that stretching is very important before any type of physical activity. With me it's my hips that give me issues and damn they are important for golf. So get better, take some time and hopefully before you know it, you'll be out there again, new and improved. Good luck.

Hang in there man. I’m currently barreling a back injury as well. 27 and I have a ruptured disk that’s really messing my life up. It happens. Just rehab it correctly and do everything you have to to heal properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hang tough, do what the Doctor prescribes and if PT is required follow their instructions. This soon will be behind you and you'll be teeing off again, after a good warm up this time. Best of Luck.

I want to thank all for the kind words and encouragement. I will have an MRI in a week and if all looks good we will see. It is slowly getting better so I just have to do some rehab and rest.
images_zpsczr5nitt.jpeg

I've blown out my L5/S1 disk twice and have had it fixed twice...I'm sure a third operation is inevitable but hopefully not any time soon.

It's a total nuisance and very frightening. If you need surgery it's not the end of the word...if it's a microdiskectomy then just get it done, do all the things you need to do in terms of rehab, and you should be feeling good in a couple weeks and back to golf by late spring.

Hopefully you just need an epidural injection and some time off. Ice, stretching, walking, and that Teeter table thing are all great ideas. I don't know what you do for a living but if you work at a desk, look in to a standing desk. If you can wear soft soled sneakers at work, do that too.

I've blown out my L5/S1 disk twice and have had it fixed twice...I'm sure a third operation is inevitable but hopefully not any time soon.

It's a total nuisance and very frightening. If you need surgery it's not the end of the word...if it's a microdiskectomy then just get it done, do all the things you need to do in terms of rehab, and you should be feeling good in a couple weeks and back to golf by late spring.

Hopefully you just need an epidural injection and some time off. Ice, stretching, walking, and that Teeter table thing are all great ideas. I don't know what you do for a living but if you work at a desk, look in to a standing desk. If you can wear soft soled sneakers at work, do that too.

My wife had a microdiscectlmy on L5/S1 last year and was back to playing golf by the end of the season, and has played a full season this year.

So OP, it’s not fun right now but it will get better even with severe issues - hopefully a more conservative approach does it for you but you’ll be back on the course.

Listen to the docs. Take it slow, but keep working on getting back to the course. They have a bunch of options these days, just stay positive. You’ll have good and bad days on this journey, but press on!

I herniated a disk or two in June. I say "or two" because this one proved worse than previous and I never did go see a doctor, so who knows? I've suffered similar twice before complete with doctor visits and MRI's, I just didn't wanna go through it all again. Remembering my previous rehab and stretches, easing my way into using my Teeter inversion table, exercise, etc, I've had at it.

But although my initial severe pain was much shorter in duration than in the past, only a few days, the lingering instability, spasming and generally bad days has been longer than in the past. I've hit core exercises pretty hard and although nearly 100% for all things other than golf, I'm not nearly 100% for play.

It was 4 months before I'd very tentatively swing a club but I've since played a couple of partial and full rounds over the past month.

I'm with you in being spooked, though. My previous injuries didn't happen during the golf swing but this one did, with ZERO warning nor prior inclination that something was off. Just... boom.

Maybe more than the physical and healing part, the mental has been toughest for me. I'm legitimately nervous at times with club in hand and that's certainly not the positive frame of mind necessary with regard to such injuries.

I also entertained the reality that I might have played my last golf and it depressed the hell out of me. But it slowly subsided and I became resolved to the thought that until golf were to become something more than simply hazardous for my health and instead were to approach something considered to be dangerous, I'll keep fighting to get back out there.

Hoping for a similar emotional/psychological turnaround for you. Get well.

I hope things go well

However, you can still play in the future I hope. I have 3 thoracic blast fractures secondary to a drunk driver. As others have stated listen to the doctors, I have a suggestion as an Internist, find a good neurosurgeon if surgery is suggested. They will probably offer injections, rehad, and exercises before surgery and please try them to avoid surgery. About 25% feel worse after surgery depending on what the MRI shows.

I play golf every week with a lot of pain. However, because of my Traumatic Brain Injury therr are not many outdoor activities the doctors will alow me to do because I cannot hit my head again. I use muscle relaxers and pain meds to get through a round, but ir keeps my off the couch.

Hang in there, listen to the doctors, and prayers that you will play again.

Capsaicin cream - it is made from chili peppers and provides the heat to relieve back pain - my Dad plays golf with it for years....

Back