Landlord question...

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
This is totally off-topic, but a question for any landlords on the forum.

Do landlords have the right to show an apartment while the previous tenant still occupies the unit?

I would say if you gave your notice of leaving, and he gives you advance notice, then sure.

I lived in a duplex that the owner was selling and the realtors had to call me to set a time to show the place; they couldn't just come by whenever.

Do landlords have the right to show an apartment while the previous tenant still occupies the unit?

If the intent to sell has been made known to the current tenant, yes. But it must be within the agreed upon time. They can’t just show up without contacting the current tenant. They still have rights under the current lease

You can, but with reasonable accomodation to the current tenant. The question is are you sure you want to. There is no guarantee what you will enter to.

It's all depends on your lease. But chances are your lease allows for it within a certain time frame.

When we rented houses it was in all our leases that they could show the house the last month.

You can up here.

Where I live you can but notice must be given. I believe I can even "instruct" the current tenant to have everything looking neat and tidy as well.

If you are in the process of evicting your current tenants it gets a lot more complicated.

Laws vary from state to state on circumstances, amount of notice, etc... but generally, yes. If you’ve given notice of leaving, they have the right to minimize their turnover time by showing the place with whatever notice is required. If the landlord is selling the place, they should probably notify you that they are intent on selling it before they notify you they have prospective buyers coming by, but as long as you get whatever notice is required by your lease or rental agreement to vacate, that’s probably more of a courtesy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look at your lease contract.

If not mentioned, or a similar provision not mentioned, look at state statute.

If not mentioned, write a simple paragraph stating that tenant gives landlord permission to show the apartment on any day during the following hours ... with a phone call warning, etc. If no answer or permission granted, you can enter after knocking. Have tenant sign.

If it has been disclosed by the tenant that they are moving out or if the house is being sold - yes, they can but only after providing ample notice or after agreeing on set times to show the apartment. If they call last minute to ask to show the apartment and it is not a convenient time for you - you have the right to say no.

Back