SkyTrak and The Golf Club (TGC) simulator build

BrandonJ

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey ya'll! I finally got back to Indiana. My wife agreed to the 1 term and condition of moving back, I'm building a simulator. Started with the idea of a small OptiShot setup, but it ballooned into it's current state with my father-in-law and uncle-in-law wanting to get in on the action.

Here's what we're working with.

SkyTrak
TGC
R-Motion swing analyzer
Epson 1060 Home Cinema 3LCD (didnt have BenQ in stock)
TrueStrike L/R hitting mat
Carlofet hitting screen
SportNetting net
Blackout mat from Amazon
Custom cage
Custom computer

Picking up the pipe/fittings today for the cage. We are going to be building that Friday/Saturday. Hopefully golfing on Sunday!

https://i.imgur.com/exWvk8y.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Zqy5w0b.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/GRX1wNo.jpg

Nice. Always like seeing how people set up their sim. If I ever have to move to where I can't golf year round, a sim will be mandatory requirement.

Looking forward to following along to see how things progress. I built one with my dad in his basement last year, it was pretty fun and really good for winter months in Ohio. Really enjoy TGC as well.

I'm in the process of finishing my build as well. At the moment I'm hitting into a net with the tv on the side. Should have a screen by the new year. I do play JNPG though rather than TGC. I find it better for multiplayer and tournament play online, but if you are using the r-motion it won't work with that. I'm sure you will have a blast.

Hmm...For some reason the pics won't show up for me.

Awesome, I love my SkyTrak. All the info translates amazingly to on-course decision making.

Here's a video of JNPG playing online ryder cup tournament (I believe he's a THP member). Great community on the ogt (online golf tour), and on discord for JNPG. I had to drop out of this tournament, due to non-golf issues, but will try being in the next one.
If you go JNPG or TGC I'm sure you will have a blast this winter.

Thanks!

Tomorrow we're building the cage, hanging the net, and hopefully the screen. Projector will be Friday or Saturday. And hopefully TGC gets back to me soon to activate the software.

We went with TGC because of the number of courses, and we really wanna build a couple that are around here that we play all the time if they don't already have them. We're pretty stoked.

Rolled a putt today to see how it worked :cool:

oIbJ5gg.jpg

Awesome, I love my SkyTrak. All the info translates amazingly to on-course decision making.

So skytrak is a legit simulator?

What courses can you play on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So skytrak is a legit simulator?

What courses can you play on it?

Oh it's super legit. I've only just got the SkyTrak a month ago but it's been eye opening as far as club and yardage knowledge. I have not played any courses yet as I'm not subscribed to anything yet but from the launch monitor side of things it gives you just about all the information you could need. I've picked up 20 yards on my driver specifically from utilizing the info from SkyTrak. Part of that was picking up about 8mph of swing speed due to being able to see it and trying shafts and releases and seeing results.

Oh it's super legit. I've only just got the SkyTrak a month ago but it's been eye opening as far as club and yardage knowledge. I have not played any courses yet as I'm not subscribed to anything yet but from the launch monitor side of things it gives you just about all the information you could need. I've picked up 20 yards on my driver specifically from utilizing the info from SkyTrak. Part of that was picking up about 8mph of swing speed due to being able to see it and trying shafts and releases and seeing results.

Oh wow. So it’s a pretty useful launch monitor?

I’m just curious to see if you can play pebble, Augusta, and other course I’ll probably never otherwise play lol

Thanks!

Tomorrow we're building the cage, hanging the net, and hopefully the screen. Projector will be Friday or Saturday. And hopefully TGC gets back to me soon to activate the software.

We went with TGC because of the number of courses, and we really wanna build a couple that are around here that we play all the time if they don't already have them. We're pretty stoked.

Those were kinda my reason for going jpng as I like real world courses. They are all mapped with LIDAR. so they are almost exactly similar to their real world counterparts, they even use the flyovers in some golf broadcasts. Here's what were deciding points when I purchased.

TGC;
+100,000 courses
+better although sometimes cartoony graphics
+course creator
+nice looking grass
+easier to follow ball without tracer
-price
-only one set of tees
-only one user with guests on your skytrak
-can use boosts in competitive play

JNPG;
+150 plus real courses, based on real world courses.
+multiple tees
+multiple users in multiplayer on your skytrak
+impossible to cheat in multiplayer
+online golf tour
+nice looking water
+price
-graphics aren't as good, but more realistic

Hope you don't mind, just figure you should have all the facts. Have fun whichever way you go. Skytrak is great for the price no doubt!
Let me know how putting is off the truestrike mat. I have the fibrebuilt myself and cannot putt off of it, and had to invent a trolley system for my skytrak so I can putt off of a different mat.

I’m just curious to see if you can play pebble, Augusta, and other course I’ll probably never otherwise play lol

Extremely useful as a launch monitor. Plus you can add and remove wind and elevation so you can actually see what your 7 iron distance is with a 15mph headwind or tailwind. Honestly all that info is super useful as it directly translates to what you do on the course in real life. After a week with it I understood why things never worked on the course like I thought they should.

I'm getting some DirectX11 3D shader error but my video card settings are showing it's compatible (11.1) -- It's an Nvidia Quadro FX 3800. It should work shouldn't it?

Extremely useful as a launch monitor. Plus you can add and remove wind and elevation so you can actually see what your 7 iron distance is with a 15mph headwind or tailwind. Honestly all that info is super useful as it directly translates to what you do on the course in real life. After a week with it I understood why things never worked on the course like I thought they should.

I’ve been really wanting to build out a bay at my house but wasn’t sure the best monitor to do that with...I guess without buying a trackman or flightscope for $15-20k, this might be the next best option for the price? Just trying to think of any other monitor that would even compare at this price point...

Yes, JNPG has those courses, and TGC has multiple versions of each.

I’ve been really wanting to build out a bay at my house but wasn’t sure the best monitor to do that with...I guess without buying a trackman or flightscope for $15-20k, this might be the next best option for the price? Just trying to think of any other monitor that would even compare at this price point...

Look at skytrak, or if you can afford a gc2 get that one. You can find cheaper used ones on Amazon, and ebay, and the 2 sims forums marketplaces as well.

Yes, JNPG has those courses, and TGC has multiple versions of each.

Sorry for the dumb questions...but what does JNPG and TGC mean?

Sorry for the dumb questions...but what does JNPG and TGC mean?

JNPG is Jack Nicholas Perfect Golf
TGC is The Golf Club

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

JNPG is Jack Nicholas Perfect Golf
TGC is The Golf Club

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Sweet! Found it...actually watched a clip of someone using it on YouTube. Looks so legit. Thanks for the help!

This is what I'm most excited about. Swinging a club all year is going to be cool, but I'm going to put some serious effort into getting proverbially "better" at golf. Making better decisions, learning how to shape a shot, finishing the round with the same ball :)

I would love to use something like this, but the ceilings in the house are too short.

Dave

I would love to use something like this, but the ceilings in the house are too short.

Dave

I would have gotten one already but can barely swing an 8 iron in my place. And that still hits the ceiling once in a while on the follow through.

Would you mind providing some more info on your cage build, like what size is the frame going to be, and what size pipe. I guess if you provide pics of the build, that would probably be good. Thanks for sharing...

Back