What Has More Impact To Numbers?

Boy I definitely see (through FlightScope testing of golfers) a difference in launch and peak with different balls. Between compression differences and spin differences between balls, due to cover, layers, dimple pattern, compression, etc to think that they will not change a flight up and down or make only a bigger difference in side spin (ball can only spin on one axis) is quite interesting. I think I will explore this more as I dont see how one can impact spin one way larger and not the other since the ball can only spin one way at a time.

I think its the most overlooked item for amateur golfers personally, and testing clubs or fitting with a ball that they dont play usually gives very different numbers.

In terms of looking into this more - is this something the folks at Bridgestone might be able to provide data on? I know they do more ball fittings than anyone, and I think they store the numbers for lookup, right? It would be really interesting to see the variance they see, even just across their lines, for a given golfer. That would be a really fun data analytics project.

My layman guess would be shaft.
I say this just due to the number of shafts I tried while being fit on the Kingdom trip.
Every shaft had different spin rates, altitude, shot dispersion, etc...
Materials, flex points, length and more all have an effect on ball flight...right?

IMO, hands down it's the ball. If we isolate iron shafts alone the TT DG shafts are still the most used shaft, especially on tour. Next up is the Rifled shafts. These shafts haven't changed much if at all that I am aware of in the last 20+ years. Graphite shafts are a different story but even there we are probably talking more fine tune changes. Golf balls IMO are the biggest advancements in golf during the technology revolution. Multi piece balls and different skins have changed the playability tremendously. Now we are suing lower compression softer skin balls that definitely help higher handicap players compared the distance rocks of the past.

IMO, hands down it's the ball. If we isolate iron shafts alone the TT DG shafts are still the most used shaft, especially on tour. Next up is the Rifled shafts. These shafts haven't changed much if at all that I am aware of in the last 20+ years. Graphite shafts are a different story but even there we are probably talking more fine tune changes. Golf balls IMO are the biggest advancements in golf during the technology revolution. Multi piece balls and different skins have changed the playability tremendously. Now we are suing lower compression softer skin balls that definitely help higher handicap players compared the distance rocks of the past.

I played a tournament a few years bag where you had to play persimmon and hickory shafted clubs. I played with a Titleist ProV1 and was surprised at the number of drives I still hit 275-280. One of the guys was telling me about the Hickory League and they used old balls something like a gutta percha(may have hacked that up there) but he was telling me they play significantly shorter. Like 30 plus yards. So all that to be said the ball is a huge part of the puzzle. By the way those Hickory shafts actually felt amazing on center strikes.

I think shaft purely because of the human element. The shaft can have effect on how a person swings the club due to weight, torque, kick point differences that the human body can feel and make a person swing different.

Back