2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

2015 POY - Spieth or Day?

• Jordan Spieth

Votes: 95 59.4%
  • Jason Day

Votes: 65 40.6%

• Total voters
What's the point of a playoff is the winner does not get player of the year? Isnt that the entire purpose of a playoff?
If that's true then Bubba, Rickie, or Stenson are in the mix?

Day wins FedEx Cup with a strong showing at Tour Championship and he's got it.

I agree. Tough one. Day is really rolling right now.

If that's true then Bubba, Rickie, or Stenson are in the mix?
Yup. So the fact that he has a huge lead in the standings means little if one of those guys win next week.

So right now I say its still Jordan. Becomes a better debate if Day wins next week.

If either one of them win next week, that winner would lock up POY.

I agree with JB on this. The whole point of having a playoff system is when situations like this come up; two guys playing incredible golf all season and amassing victories, is to have them play it out for the title. I think this makes next week all the more exciting.

Yup. So the fact that he has a huge lead in the standings means little if one of those guys win next week.

So right now I say its still Jordan. Becomes a better debate if Day wins next week.

A better debate, or a done deal?

Spieth. 2 major wins and 1 shot out of a playoff for a third major. That's greater than Day, even if he wins the Tour Championship.

To the Spieth supporters of this argument.... How strongly do you feel about it had DJ made the putt on the 18th and won at CB?

For as much of a joke as that tournament was (condition wise), the fact that it was a major sure seems to factor heavily.

Doesn't necessarily compute for me. The playoff is for the FedEx Cup. You run through the playoffs and you get that. I don't think it means you become POY.

I guess that is the disconnect for me.
We have rankings
We have a PGA Tour Playoff
We have majors, but not all are PGA Tour (like WGC)
And we have POY.

To me the POY should win the playoffs.

I guess that is the disconnect for me.
We have rankings
We have a PGA Tour Playoff
We have majors, but not all are PGA Tour (like WGC)
And we have POY.

To me the POY should win the playoffs.

We can agree to disagree and that's fine. Player of the year, not player of one month(playoffs). Look at guys like Bill Hass, Billy Ho, they had runs through the playoffs that ended with the Cup. Neither were POY candidates.

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of either of these 2 gents. Makes it easy to have no favoritism.

It's going to be hard to talk me out of Day for this if he wins next week. 3 out of 4 playoff events, with the best players on tour in the field for all of those tournaments.

We can agree to disagree and that's fine. Player of the year, not player of one month(playoffs). Look at guys like Bill Hass, Billy Ho, they had runs through the playoffs that ended with the Cup. Neither were POY candidates.

Oddly enough I'm not a huge fan of either of these 2 gents. Makes it easy to have no favoritism.

I think it comes down to what one considers the playoffs.
If they want to call it that, I look at it like I would any other sport.
So I will use the Patriots regular season undefeated and then losing in the super bowl. They got into the playoffs because of their brilliant regular season and the best seed because of that season, much like these guys.

Its not like winning POY is like winning a major or matters long term. So for me, its much like the Super Bowl. You win the playoffs, you win the Super Bowl.
Others will view it as the MVP, and that can go to the best player for that year if they want. I just struggle with a playoff system that leads to nothing other than cash.

I think it comes down to what one considers the playoffs.
If they want to call it that, I look at it like I would any other sport.
So I will use the Patriots regular season undefeated and then losing in the super bowl. They got into the playoffs because of their brilliant regular season and the best seed because of that season, much like these guys.

Its not like winning POY is like winning a major or matters long term. So for me, its much like the Super Bowl. You win the playoffs, you win the Super Bowl.
Others will view it as the MVP, and that can go to the best player for that year if they want. I just struggle with a playoff system that leads to nothing other than cash.

I was thinking of relating to team sports and its hard for me. NFL teams play for the super bowl, but the offensive POY and def POY are not always the ones who reach the ultimate game. Same thing for the NCAA Basketball. Player of the tournament is not always on the team who wins it all. So for me its just hard to equate the too.

We both know why the playoffs were created. To get the big names to play more golf after the PGA Championship instead of see ya at Tigers get together.

Oh and the weight of winning POY, certainly not like winning the masters or any other major.

I personally don't even think there is a debate. It's Speith hands down for me. 2 majors and 2 top 5s in the other 2. And I believe 2 more wins. He has had the best YEAR! Don't get me wrong I love me some Jason Day but it's a 1 horse race for me.

To me the two are totally separate. The winner of the Fed Ex cup is the best player in the playoffs, and it is heavily weighted towards the 4 playoff events.

Player of the year is the person that had the best 2014-2015 season. It might be the person that won the playoffs but it might not.

The majors to me carry much more weight than the playoff events. The Players Championship to me weighs more than even the Tour Championship.

I am with ddec on this one. Billy Hoerschel wasn't even in discussion for POY last year even though he won FedEx Cup. The playoffs are there to create some buzz and get people watching golf leading into the tour championship to help compete with football and the lead up to mlb playoffs

The majors to me carry much more weight than the playoff events.

Interesting. I guess for me, especially in his BMW win, Day beat the top 70 players of the year by a very wide margin. We'll see what happens next week.

But we finally have a situation where two of the best players all season have the final tournament to clarify the POY. Majors are great and all, but the playoffs are about maintaining spectacular play for an extended amount of time, not just one tournament. Sure the Tour championship doesn't have the prestige of a major, but it should. It's more difficult to win than a major. To me, if one of them wins next week, they should get POY.

My vote right now would go to Day. But, if Spieth wins next week, I'd say Jordan.

Day for sure, he's always stayed up in the charts. Speith seems to hang in there and then just fall down

The majors to me carry much more weight than the playoff events. The Players Championship to me weighs more than even the Tour Championship.

I dont necessarily disagree. I guess in today's PGA Tour, the only reason the Majors have more weight however is because of History.
WGC, Playoffs, Players Championship all have the complete elite fields. They do not however have the history.

Yeah, the POY has to be the FedEx champion doesn't compute with me. The playoffs lead to their own award, no reason to tie the POY award to it also. That's like saying the NFL MVP should go to a player from the SB winning team. I know it's not a direct comparison but nonetheless.

I say if Day doesn't win next week it's Spieth hands down, if Day wins it's a tough tough pick.

Back