Trying to Break 80 Club

shot 80 yesterday with a double and a triple.

Curious for those on the road from breaking 90 to breaking 80: in what part of your game have you seen the most improvement?

For me going from 99 to 89 was about increasing distance and accuracy off the tee, big improvements in the short game and better decision making.

After 5 or 6 rounds in the hi 80s I'm thinking that a big component of breaking 80 for me will have to be putting... better lag putting and NEVER miss a putt under 5 feet.

Curious for those on the road from breaking 90 to breaking 80: in what part of your game have you seen the most improvement?

For me going from 99 to 89 was about increasing distance and accuracy off the tee, big improvements in the short game and better decision making.

After 5 or 6 rounds in the hi 80s I'm thinking that a big component of breaking 80 for me will have to be putting... better lag putting and NEVER miss a putt under 5 feet.
For me the 80 barrier was all about short game. The ability to miss a fairway, miss a green, and still make par after par was the key.

It's going to be different for everyone though.

I've only done it twice. But for me it has been about eliminating penalties and being really good about course management so that my misses put me in good spots. No hero shots, just consistently keeping the ball in front of me in decent position. My last round a playing partner commented that I play "boring golf" - that's the way I like it.

I saw the best drop in scores once I started putting much better. That was what got me down to the mid 80's now been working on short game the last month and my average scores dropped some more stokes. Now my focus is proximity to the hole on approach shots so I can use that improved putting at birdie looks instead of saving par.

Short game and putting. I didn't hit many erratic tee shots but with some swing fixes the overall swing is better but it wasn't until I put in work on short game and putting that my scores dropped.

Appreciate the input everyone - thanks.

My short game has improved to the point where I feel pretty good about getting it within 15 feet if I'm inside 100y, and I feel great about getting it within 5 feet if I'm chipping from around the green.

Looking at my last round (an 87) - I missed half a dozen putts under 5 feet.

Off to the putting green this week =)

Appreciate the input everyone - thanks.

My short game has improved to the point where I feel pretty good about getting it within 15 feet if I'm inside 100y, and I feel great about getting it within 5 feet if I'm chipping from around the green.

Looking at my last round (an 87) - I missed half a dozen putts under 5 feet.

Off to the putting green this week =)
Remember that pros miss 50% of 6 footers. Sounds like you may have left some strokes out there, but this stat can help level set our expectations of ourselves too (it seems like we should always make 6 footers).

I was close again last weekend with an 84, but I had a real chance at sniffing 80 or lower until I choked epically on 17 and 18 and went 5 over on those 2 holes... :banghead:

It's the 3rd or 4th time I've sniffed 80 or lower this year though, I'm convinced it's coming soon. My full swing is working pretty nicely right now so it's a matter of getting hot and making a few putts IMO.

Remember that pros miss 50% of 6 footers. Sounds like you may have left some strokes out there, but this stat can help level set our expectations of ourselves too (it seems like we should always make 6 footers).

Fair point! I suppose the 3 ft circle around the cup should be the goal (rather than 5ft).

After shooting 79 last week, I followed it up with an 38+42/80 today.

I'm happy with the score, but after playing the first 11 holes at 3 over, I started putting scared, trying to avoid anything that would sabotage my score.

Up to that point no 3 putts: I three-putted 4 of the final 6 holes. That's what fear does.

But, I'm still really happy. I made a lot of excellent shots today, and I really liked the way I managed the course as well (except for turning chicken on the greens at the end).

My last 3 rounds are now: 80, 79 and 80. That's a minimum of 7-8 strokes lower than what I was normally shooting.

White tees / 124 slope rating / Par 72

Breaking 80
Decent tee shot
Decent iron game
Better short game
Solid putting

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

Two 83's, now an 82.

Not bad for this CR 73.2/SI 141 course. Just such a difficult course due to its length, blind shots and well placed bunkers. The fact that it's always windy doesn't really help either ;) I get 14 shots here by the way.

A 5.1-5.8 handicap player gets 8 shots, I'm quite far from 5.something ;)

Had time for 9 this afternoon, caught up with some buddies who were making the turn. I shot an even par 35, personal best. Two birdies, two bogeys. Great feeling.

Just 9 for me today. I shot 41, two stupid mistakes cost me at least three shots.

Still pitching/chipping where I'm going wrong a lot of the times. Need to practice that more.

Was close today but finished with an 81

Only had one double bogey but offset that slightly with a birdie. Had a few putts lip out as well so it is getting closer to happening

As long as I can get off the tee okay then I will give myself a chance

86 yesterday but started out great with 2 doubles and a quad on the first 3 holes. Epic start.

My last 3 rounds have been 76, 73, 77.
Playing good golf is FUN!

My last 3 rounds have been 76, 73, 77.
Playing good golf is FUN!

I bet it is, I'll let you know when I get there. hahaha. Nice playing dude.

I bet it is, I'll let you know when I get there. hahaha. Nice playing dude.
The beauty of my game is that I'm always a handful of swings away from barely breaking 90.

The beauty of my game is that I'm always a handful of swings away from barely breaking 90.
He always says this, but I haven't seen him shoot over 90 since the very first time I played with him 2 years ago haha. Nice playing Curtis, it's so impressive watching you lately!

I shot 88 yesterday, slight step back, but I didn't let some bad breaks ruin me. If I have a little better ball striking and short game day, I'll be sniffing it again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He always says this, but I haven't seen him shoot over 90 since the very first time I played with him 2 years ago haha. Nice playing Curtis, it's so impressive watching you lately!

I shot 88 yesterday, slight step back, but I didn't let some bad breaks ruin me. If I have a little better ball striking and short game day, I'll be sniffing it again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I wasn't buying it, HOF tag's don't lie.

I figure it is time for me to get in on this thread. I entered the season struggling to shoot 90 but I'm recently shooting an average of 84 over the past few rounds. I still have yet to hit 80 or break it, but I'm now working to do so.

Getting real close. Shot 82 twice in the last two weeks. Basically just one bad swing away. Interesting thing is I cannot remember the last time I made a birdie. I can have a 12 footer for par and drain it, but cannot get the ones for birdie to go.

Shot 40/37 from the tips at my home course. Very close to one of my best rounds. 2 stupid doubles from tinkering with driver settings on the front, 3 jack on 18... could have been PB but happy with the progress on a difficult track

Back