Votes: 14 10.3%
  • I play stock until they are worn out, then switch

Votes: 61 44.9%
  • I switch the minute I get my clubs

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • I replace my clubs before the grips wear out

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
I play stock grips until the first re-grip. I will always give the stock grips a chance.

That first regrip could come a couple weeks after getting the clubs (because I don' care for the stock grip), or much later once they are worn out.

Chose switch out minute I get them because it's dependent on what comes stock

I voted stock until they wear out but I have been really loving the UTX grips on my Legacy clubs and I also found out I need extra wraps so unless I can order them I think I will be changing them out from now on.

I usually only play with Utx grips so for now only my wedges will have stock OEM grips since they switched to UTX grips. My next set of irons come with utx as stock so only switching out will apply to woods and hybrids.

I usually keep the stock grip on for a while unless it is really terrible. After it wears I will switch over to an I-Line or uTx.

Most of the time I'll play the stock grips for a season and then switch unless they are unbearable.

Somewhere between the second and third options. Generally switch out quickly, but I'll play some rounds with the stockers if I haven't gotten my next set of aftermarket grips yet.

I play the same grips through the bag, so I have to change them out unless I order them with my preferred grip. Just a mental thing I think.

I said play til worn then switch them. That's true, although there are some instances where the stock grips are so bad (to me) that I switch them out immediately.

The only grips I play are the white Golf Pride tour wraps. I just bought a MD3 and the green grip that everybody loved was cut off before it even left the store and replaced with the tour wrap.

When I bought my RSi1, I already had my Lamkins either on order, or already in possession of them. I like to swap them out as soon as possible to get the feel that I like. I hate the NDMC grips and a lot of clubs come standard with them.

Nothing comes with midsize so I am forced to switch immediately, even when they have awesome uTX as with the MD3 wedges.

I pretty much cut stock grips off immediately lol it's not because they are bad, I just found something I really like these days and will put them on as soon as I get a new club

Callaway has upped their game on stock grips, but I'll usually get them to add 4 wraps on there. I'm a big NDMC fan, so if a club doesn't come with that, I'll usually be swapping over soon.
Maybe. A little.

Off all the greatness that is Callaway, I always thought, and still kind of do, that their grip game was completely awful. Unless you custom order, the very first thing one should do when acquiring a new Callaway club is to re-grip.

edit to add: The NDMC I have on the PX shaft in my Opti is some sort of cheap variation, as it seems much thinner than the 'real' ones.

I used to play whatever grips I got with the clubs..... but lately I've been changing that up a bit. I like to keep it uniform if possible. All my woods have the same grips and then all my irons have the same as well. So not completely one set of grips, but the club types have the same.

I switch the grips as soon as I get the clubs, I know what i like and thats what I play.

I usually have no issues with stock grips. Been a while since I bought a new club, but they've usually been some version of Tour Velvet or Crossline and I will use one or the other so it generally doesn't bother me.

I play stock for a bit, but usually end up after market fairly quick!

I went with option 3 - most cases I have to switch the stocks to my grip of choice (and I like two wraps), but after getting the MD3 with the stock callaway lamkin UTx, they have really stepped it up (i think Srixon does red UTxs for their irons as well). If I can get UTx as my stock grips, I'm happy as a pig in poop.

For me it depends what grips come stock. Tour velvet or wrap and I will change as soon as possible. NDMC, UTX, or even lamkin crosslines and I'll play them for a while unless I want all to match.

I play the same grips through the bag, so I have to change them out unless I order them with my preferred grip. Just a mental thing I think.

I tend to fall under this. Its an OCD mental style thing.

With rare exceptions (Why do you insist on using the Tour Wrap, Nike? Why?), I will play the stock grip on a club until it needs to be replaced. I tend to prefer the tour velvet/plain rubber style grip, so the PING stock grips that are on my i25s work great for me. When I get them changed, I will probably dip into the cache of Niions (RIP) that I have.

How many here play stock grips? See the poll above and answer please. Thanks.

Stock for me since changing to the XR clubs. Before that, GP green Victory grips for 35+ year. Now that I'm about out of them, they re-make em. Go figure.

I voted that I play what comes on my clubs until they wear out. All the clubs I've had came with GP Tour Velvets though and I don't mind those grips. I like cord grips better, but I'm not going to waste the stock grips.

I do really dislike the yellow Bridgestone version of the tour Velvets that came on my bridgestones. Their replacements are MCC Plus 4 grips. The yellow wears off on gloves and they don't feel as tacky as the black version of the grips. I think the coloring has something to do with it. I'm no sure though. They seem to wear faster too.

Back