Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawbacks of a wider stance?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16,872 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker337 View Post
    One problem I struggle with is shifting/sliding away from the target in the back swing. Its that big stable base that lets you shift or slide back without losing your balance in the backswing. As Freddie mentioned, the shifting tends to leave me hanging back on my right side. My instructor had me narrow my stance, especially with my irons, because it promotes more rotation and less shifting through the swing. When I start hitting fat shots that's one of my keys to check my stance width.
    I think where people get lost is in the ‘turn’. If you stand in front of a mirror, cross your arms over your chest and turn the shoulders 90* over the inside of the rear leg. You’ve completed the back swing. This move not only build power but it also gets you behind the ball. Not only that it gives the swing time to develop on the down swing provided you don’t slide in front of the ball prior to impact.

Ddog: F8+ Black 9.5* w/ Evenflow 6.5 Blue
    FWs: F8+ 3/4 Evenflow 6.0 Blue
    Hybrid:
    Irons: Black Forgedtec(4-PW) w/ $Taper Stiff+ Black
    Wedges: King Black 50* & 54* w/
    Flat stick: Royalty Str8t flush ♣️
    Ball: ​PRO V1x

CAPTAIN OF #TeamParadise #morgancup2018

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tadashi70 For This Useful Post:

93civiccpe (03-22-2018), ChristopherKee (03-20-2018), Golf Dawg (03-20-2018), tanker337 (03-20-2018)

Akshay ("Ak" + "Shay") fistfullofbeer's Avatar
    Handicap
    20's
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi70 View Post
    A wider stance will only be an issue if you don’t clear your left side or hang back on your right.
    Thanks!! This worked wonderfully for me the last few rounds but since it looks like the narrow stance is preached heavily almost everywhere I should ask. Not only were my drives the most consistent over the last round but they were also the longest. My irons and hybrids were very well hit as well. There were some terrible shots ofcourse but I attribute that to my lack of focus and not going through my swing routine.

I don't know if I am explaining this right or not but I feel like with a narrow stance I am more upright (which makes sense could I would end up standing taller) and my chin gets in the way of my shoulder turn. To fix that I end up going too far inside in my backswing and then coming back outside-in on my downswing and slicing the ball.
    ------------------------------------------
    | C130 (2017) Cart Bag|
    ------------------------------------------
    Rogue @ 10.5* w/ Recoil ES 450
    Rogue 4W @ 17* w/ Tensei CK Blue 65
    Rogue 3H @ 19* w/ Recoil ES 760/780
    Rogue 4I - PW w/ Recoil ES 460
    Vokey SM7 50.08 F, 54.10 S, 60.12 D
    2016 Select Newport 2, *Testing Sigma G Tyne*

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster1 View Post
    Imagine swinging a club with your feet together, literally touching. You’d sacrifice balance doing this, but your hips and shoulders would turn effortlessly. Getting your “belt buckle” to the target on the follow-through would be extremely easy. And clubhead speed would be improved.

The opposite holds true with a wide stance. You’ll improve balance, but sacrifice speed and body turn.

Find the narrowest stance you can live with and still have balance. There’s a reason the pros stand with feet ~shoulder width apart.
    IMO you nailed it. Great post!
    That ONE shot keeps you coming back!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GolfLivesMatter For This Useful Post:

Buster1 (03-27-2018)

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi70 View Post
    I think where people get lost is in the ‘turn’. If you stand in front of a mirror, cross your arms over your chest and turn the shoulders 90* over the inside of the rear leg. You’ve completed the back swing. This move not only build power but it also gets you behind the ball. Not only that it gives the swing time to develop on the down swing provided you don’t slide in front of the ball prior to impact.
    Yep...100%. In my experience helping folks they tend to get uneasy if their back points to the target on the backswing. Folks have told me they feel like they are "losing control", moving too far "away" from the ball.....while it's just the opposite because they return much faster and with far less effort.
    That ONE shot keeps you coming back!