Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

USPS tracking says my irons were delivered! Now I just have to make it through another 1.5 hours of work.

That's a tough spot to be in :D

I am looking forward to my first round since our UK event and I can't wait to get these back out on the course

I'm strongly considering a 745 or 545 AW to go with the 545's. For those that have them, would you recommend?

I'm strongly considering a 745 or 545 AW to go with the 545's. For those that have them, would you recommend?

If you're looking to get a matching AW, I'd get the 545 - the 745 is pretty much a bladed wedge. The 588 RTX 2.0 CB in 48 degrees also gaps very nicely with the set.

Having played both, the 545 is more inline with what a "set wedge" would look like. The 745 looks a lot like blade wedges. Both perform well and will come down to personal preference and what you like looking down at from a wedge.

If you're looking to get a matching AW, I'd get the 545 - the 745 is pretty much a bladed wedge. The 588 RTX 2.0 CB in 48 degrees also gaps very nicely with the set.

I have the 48CB in my bag and it is great, don't dismiss it as an option

Hadn't thought of a 48* but it makes sense considering the strong pw loft. Right now I'm using a 50* AW from my old Burner 2.0 set, but I need to sell that set and fill the gap.

I also play a RTX 2.0 CB as my GW. Have the 50° and stregthened it to 49° to better fit my gap. I play the z545 PW at 45° and the next club up after GW is 54° RTX 2.0 blade. The gapping with this setup works very well for me.

Having a quick look thru the thread, just curious how many have actually had altered lies and lengths?
It seems the bulk, from what I can see, are more shaft type conscious than lie.
And also, if anyone has had a couple of degrees upright adjusted?

Being 6ft 3 I was fitted to shafts 1 inch longer than standard and 2 degrees upright so that was how they were built and not adjusted once I received them

Having a quick look thru the thread, just curious how many have actually had altered lies and lengths?
It seems the bulk, from what I can see, are more shaft type conscious than lie.
And also, if anyone has had a couple of degrees upright adjusted?
Had mine built to the standard Mizuno JPX line specs in regards to lie and loft. I think it basically ended up being 1° flat and 1° weaker in lofts from 5 - PW.

Weekend project (or maybe weekends project) is going to be putting the DG Pros in these. Looking forward, as I think it's going to be a nice pairing.

Accidentally hit the sweet spot a few times on Saturday, instantly reminded why I love these irons so much! PhillyV even commented the nice sound at impact as well.

I had another good round with these yesterday and as long as I can keep out of my own head with regards to my distances, I am definitely keeping them in my bag for a long time

I am still guesstimating my distances slightly as I haven't been able to get on a launch monitor to get them confirmed, so I am using my fitting yardage as my rough benchmark and working out everything else from there. The pro who I purchased them through sent out a newsletter with an offer stating that everyone who had bought clubs this year was able to book a free GC2 session to get yardages for the whole bag so I need to get that booked in

Highlights of the day were -

1. Almost turned into a penalty shot - 4i off the tee to lay up short of the ditch running across the fairway just past the 150yd marker which, depending on the tees is anywhere from around 230-260yds. I hit it exactly out of the middle of the club and watched it sail down the right middle of the fairway (ideal line into the green between the bunkers from there) where it bounced and got me slightly worried the closer it got to the ditch. I set my GPS watch to measure the distance and it finished at 229yds when I got to the ball :bulgy-eyes:

2. 6i to the 160yd par 3 7th with the wind blowing into my face from the right. Again, it was struck right out of the middle of the club, started out over the bunker on the right of the green and almost turned back perfectly but finished pin high about 10ft from the pin but sitting down slightly in the grass around the bunker (yes, the pin was that close to the edge of the green). Almost chipped in with my 58deg wedge which lipped out but I tapped in the par putt

3. PW to the 18th from around 110yds, again into the wind off the right so a nice knock-down which came up around 6ft short of the flag and the only birdie of the round

These clubs just perform for me and have definitely been worth the time I spent being fitted for them and I am looking forward to using them to lower my handicap, assuming my putting game turns up at the same time as the rest of my clubs.....

Accidentally hit the sweet spot a few times on Saturday, instantly reminded why I love these irons so much! PhillyV even commented the nice sound at impact as well.

I know the feeing. I'm getting more and more dialed in with these and when you hit one dead center it just exploded off the face with a nice sound and great distance.

Anybody playing these irons with KBS tour shafts? DG S300 shafts are a touch too low flying for me. Wondering if anyone noticing a higher flight with the KBS tour?

I am playing them. Love the flight. KBS Tours feel smoother than the s300s and do launch a little higher

Anybody playing these irons with KBS tour shafts? DG S300 shafts are a touch too low flying for me. Wondering if anyone noticing a higher flight with the KBS tour?

I have the kbs tour in mine. I have noticed a higher flight compared to the s300 but I also like the feel of the kbs tour over the s300 in these heads

I got similar distances with the KBS shafts, but I had a lot better dispersion with the Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 130 shafts that I have in mine, so if you can, it might be worth giving those shafts a try as well

Now I have got to grips with my 5 iron and seeing a nice high long flight, Im seriously considering taking my redundant 5 wood or 4 hybrid out and putting the 4 iron that came with the set in. I rarely use either of those and am just not comfortable with hitting hybrids.

I am playing them. Love the flight. KBS Tours feel smoother than the s300s and do launch a little higher

i am playing with KBS tours as well, slightly higher flight, but no ballooning, and great feel.

Definitely in ponder mode with these guys. Need to go hit them.

Those are beauties Joe.

Those are beauties Joe.
Played today and hit some fantastic iron shots. Hit and 8 iron to 2 feet. Hit an iron on a par 3 that I immediately turned away in disgust - I was certain I caught it very fat and was going to come up 15 yards short of the green, but somehow it landed on the front of the green. I said there's no way that should have made the green and one of my playing partners said 'ain't modern technology great?!'

It sure is, especially when wrapped in such a gorgeous package.

Good to see you still having success with these irons Joe. They are awesome!

Back