Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

I have never, ever, enjoyed hitting a driver this much.

I mean that.

Even with some swing issues, this big ole girl has kept me way more playable than I've ever seen.

So much this. I fought with my swing all weekend and GBB still kept me in a good spot the majority of the time. Old drivers would have sprayed it all over the place.

What I have found for me is that the sound is contagious. I hit it and literally cannot wait to hear that impact at the next hole.

I agree completely. I really enjoyed the 815, but the BB was always the more "addicting" one for me to hit comparatively, this though is a totally different level than either of those.

So much this. I fought with my swing all weekend and GBB still kept me in a good spot the majority of the time. Old drivers would have sprayed it all over the place.

Its borderline silly at times. Especially when I compare it to some other clubs side by side on the course with the same miss. Its a totally different level.

This feedback is just awesome. It's looking like there might be a driver change for this guy in the future.

Rouge I/O 60 has me in a deep ponder. Was hitting that shaft really well in the store today...

I can't wait to try this out with some of the best fitters in the world at the grandaddy. Fought with my driver all day today

I had the most consistent driving day today in years. 10/14 fairways and the ones that missed, barely missed. This club is so solid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it looks like I'm joining the rest of the cool kids. I just purchased one of these online for a pretty good price. 9* with a Matrix White Tie in stiff. I'm a little concerned that it may be too high of a ball flight but I guess we will find out. I can't wait for it to get here! I'll definitely give my feedback once I can get out with it.

Couldn't put a consistent move on the ball yesterday. You know what...all of them were playable but one. That one just went too far and disappeared into the thick stuff. Would have been fine if I had lined up a little more towards the middle of the fairway.

Two bad swings that hit low heel but still got out about 220. Other than everything has been a ball flight I can live with and the sound is one I like. The ball seems to jump off the face

God I want one of these in a bad way and I don't know if I can wait three months for it.

God I want one of these in a bad way and I don't know if I can wait three months for it.

Hahah. I know that is going to be rough. Hit mine today at the range and was once again just happy with it. More so than I have been for a driver in quite some time.

Hahah. I know that is going to be rough. Hit mine today at the range and was once again just happy with it. More so than I have been for a driver in quite some time.

It will be tough but I know I'm extremely lucky to be in this situation so I will deal with it lol I just can't get over the combination of feel, sound and ball flight

Played my 18 yesterday with the GBB (had the Speeder 661 in it yesterday). Definitely a better immediate combo for me than the Red Tie, but I want to eventually work with both on the range again. The sound and feel when you hit the ball reasonable are tremendous and solid. Considering how wonky my swing felt yesterday, I shouldn't be too disappointed with the results, and it did perform better than the BB '14 and Alpha 815 from more recent rounds. I did have one of the low on the face shots that felt just as solid as if it had been an inch higher on the face. The club was definitely trying to help me keep it in play despite my best efforts. When I was using the Alpha 815, I kept having a feeling that I wasn't getting everything out of it, even when I hit it well. I never figured out what that was, poor fit, poor match of shaft, whatever, but at 27 holes in, I don't feel that way about the GBB for whatever reason. I'm not sure when the next time out will be, but I look forward to spending more time with it.

I've played 27 holes do far with the GBB with speeder 565. I have a 10.5 head set to 11.5 and draw setting. I've hit a couple of the longest drives this season with it already. The sound and impact feel is more muted than XR. Very happy with driver.

Was just thinking the same and I haven't even hit it. Love everything I have heard about this driver

Did anyone conpare the KK shaft against the Evolution 665?
What were your thoughts?

What were your thoughts?

Honestly neither were my favorite, but both performed similarly for me.

Regardless of when you get your hands on this you will be a very happy dude. This is behind legit.

What were your thoughts?

i haven't hit the KK but demo'd the evolution because I have had success with it in other callaway clubs and a few other drivers and it was an ok shaft for me in this setup. The rep put me in the rouge silver and I had my doubts but after one swing I was liking what I saw, after 10 balls I was sold. I have this in the bag for 4 rounds and i am very happy with the setup.

I like hitting this driver! A couple today reminded me exactly how nice it is to Nut one.

Two bad swings that hit low heel but still got out about 220. Other than everything has been a ball flight I can live with and the sound is one I like. The ball seems to jump off the face

I like hitting this driver! A couple today reminded me exactly how nice it is to Nut one.
Enjoyed seeing you both crush these things today. Ball flight was different for each of you but worked for you individually.

Eric two that come to mind for me were 8 and 14 (?) for you they were just piercing drives. The bombs Kevin hit on two and 9 were just beautiful to watch.

Enjoyed seeing you both crush these things today. Ball flight was different for each of you but worked for you individually.

Eric two that come to mind for me were 8 and 14 (?) for you they were just piercing drives. The bombs Kevin hit on two and 9 were just beautiful to watch.

Those were the two best drives of the day...both longer than I expected.

Those two for Kevin were huge. I hit a pretty good drive going up that hill and while Kev is normally longer by 20 yds or so that one was 40 yds past me

Time to get to work... First thought is that the set up with the Grandura shaft feels lighter than the BBA815.

e6a9fa25f3cefadc0899f4e337a0a619.jpg

Just got the GBB yesterday with the KK tini stiff shaft. I but trimmed it down to play at 44.25" and put an MCC Plus 4 grip on it. This driver is a lot more forgiving than the Alpha 815. I played my first round with it today and I shot an 86 which is pretty good for me. I can't attribute the score totally to the driver as my putting was really good today however, I didn't didn't lose any balls off the tee with the GBB. Even the misses were playable which is all I can ask for in a driver. I think I've found my driver for awhile. I have a Speeder 565 also that I can do some testing with to see which shaft performs better for me.

I got fitted for a new driver at Cool Clubs on Friday. I went in thinking the 816 DD would be best for me but the GBB blew me away. I had lower spin, higher clubhead speed and ball speed with the GBB and either my 815 DBD or the 816DD. But the best thing was the ball flight. Really straight and it had that little bit of extra hang time on the right trajectory that let me know right away that it was really long. My first five shots with it were all under 2000 spin and over 305 yards. I picked up over 10 yards of carry and 15 yards of total distance over my 815 DBD. The added forgiveness was really nice too. The 815 DBD is not very forgiving at all. I hit some monster drives with it but they were few and far between. The original alpha was much for consistent for me and I wish I hadn't gotten rid of it but the GBB gave me that feeling all over again. I can't wait to get it in hand.

Time to get to work... First thought is that the set up with the Grandura shaft feels lighter than the BBA815.

e6a9fa25f3cefadc0899f4e337a0a619.jpg

I just got a Callaway adapter that I am going to throw on the Grandura. Need figure out how to keep this puppy from going left.

Back